Need advice on purchase of an 02 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Need advice on purchase of an 02 LT

All,

I used to have BMW Airheads, and have been away from the brand for quite a while. My wife no longer enjoys riding on the back of my Ducati ST3, and wanted me to get a Wing or HD. The HD is not for me, and well, lets just say I would prefer the BMW. We sat on a used LT at a dealer and she gave the thumbs up. So...

I started reading and researching. Found a pristine looking 2002 LT Custom with ~34,000 on it. No records, but it comes with a service manual. The current owner has had it for two years, and the previous owner did all the service himself.

Knowing it probably hasn't seen any service (other than an oil change) in two years, or any appreciable use, what should I look for? If I have it taken to the dealer (willing to spend a few hundred to evaluate) what should I have them look for?

I appreciate any and all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:39 am

Re: Need advice on purchase of an 02 LT

At 34K miles I doubt it has had much service. It's barely broken in. Not much a dealer can tell you by looking at the bike unless it's a BMW dealer. Get it for a good price and you should have a bike you and the wife will enjoy riding.....

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:59 am

Pull the trigger! My wife wondered what she would do on the back of a motorcycle for 6-10 hrs a day as I tried to convince her to ride back East from the Redmond rally. She had never been more that 3 hours, including stops. She was our official photographer and was amazed at the difference of being in the elements of sight and smells.

Your wife will really enjoy this bike. My wife no longer rides with me, but now we ride separately. Her ride on the back light the fuse of riding herself.

I can't imagine that a complete annual inspection wouldn't get that bike up and running.

With the resources of this site all regular maintenance is capable of being done by yourself.

You might also search this site for a discussion of '02 and later steering/handling inprovements. The geometry of the front end was changed to improve handling.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 8:09 am

Dave,
IMO, in terms of comfy uber touring, the LT is hard to beat... As far as what to look for, it's tough to ask questions when the current owner has only had it for two years. How many of those 34K miles has he put on it? As for taking it to a dealer, there are many BMWLT members in Wisconson. Maybe one will offer up some help, or you could find a member near you and PM them. Then again, your judgment may be as good as ours...

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 8:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all (to date!) that have responded. It's got a date with BMW service in Milwaukee to go through it. I doubt the current owner put more than 4-5,000 on it. Since the bike appears so clean (few small stone chips on the front) my thought is it must have been taken care of. I hope that is true.

My major concern is al that I have heard about clutch slave failure, drive failures, ABS, etc. I know the dealer can't tell me if it is "good" - I'm hoping they can at least tell me if it looks bad, or impending failure.
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:53 am

You can also check the vin at the BMW dealer, they keep a database of all maintainance performed at a BMW dealer, may be a source for past maintainance info.
By the way, I don't know what the finish is on the tupperware on the LT, mine is a 2000 model, and people are constantly amazed how clean the bike looks for 12 years old..
"It sho do shine!!" Good luck, My wife prefers it to the GL1800 we used to own..Oh yea, Me too!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Hi
I have owned a 2002 klt for 3 years and have put about 20, 000 miles on it. I bought it used in NH and the previous owner replaced the throttle cable and did oil service. I have removed the trunk and antenna, and put a luggage rack on instead, i like the look and it takes 30 lbs off the tail of it. I have replaced tires every 8000 miles, i replaced the squealing break rotor because that was truly annoying, replacing pads only will not fix the squeal. The bike is heavy, and wants to fall over a lot if your not use to it and careful in the parking lots. all this said i love it, i take a few long trips every summer and have found no major issues with this motorcycle that is anything different from any other bike. good luck and ride it
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I own the 02 also w around 30k on it. It's been a great bike with no problems and wife won't let me get rid of it. She loves the heated seat, smoothness, quietness, comfort, all the luggage space, stereo and now that I got her a heated jacket....she just won't get off!

No reason that bike shouldn't give you yrs of service. There's always a chance something will go wrong but when you've found a bike you love, you just fix what goes wrong and enjoy the ride.

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:49 pm

The dealer cannot check the slave, cannot check the FD, unless it is very close to failure. I'm not sure if they can check the ABS, mine isn't linked.

At that mileage check the pads, front and rear, make sure the shocks have been replaced, inspect the pins and hooks, that close the trunk, for noticeable wear.

Look carefully for any signs of oil seepage at the clutch bell housing.

Make sure the cruise control works.

Make sure all of the speakers are working. See if you can read the radio's display-they take on a "fog" like appearance.

Many of the rubber brake lines spring a leak. Many people buy a brake line kit from Spiegler (sp?).

If the shocks haven't been replaced there are a couple of after market options, and you can find discussion on replacing the springs on the stock shocks.

If I remember correctly, 36K is time for maintenance.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 12:44 am

I live just south-west from you. If you take the bike to Milwaukee BMW on N 76 th street, expect to shell out some dollars. I have not been there since they changed ownerships-other than purchasing some parts for my r1200c, they seam to be nice people. I have been lucky so far with my LT, though it has some quirks-which are electronic- but mechanically she is perfect, other than the noisy rear caliper which is typical for the LT.
If you can do some work, this site is the best bank of information, anyone could ask for. For riding, the LT is incomperable.
Best of luck to you, let me know if I can help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in