Power Center stand to Manual Conversion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Power Center stand to Manual Conversion

I have read in the forum about folks switching from manual to power center stand. I would like to go the other way.
My 2006 came with the powered stand, but now it is inoperative. I have yet to remove it to find out why, but I suspect it is cranked and is out of oil. My first LT was 2003 that had a manual stand. I had no problem with it, used it a lot. What I need to know is what parts do I need to switch back to a manual stand? Will the manual stand fit in the power stand mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Power Center stand to Manual Conversion

Every now and then there are power ones on Ebay, from tear downs and trike conversions.

Here is one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200LT-...item4ab479799f

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:38 pm

As far as mounting, the two mount in the same holes, which it is why it is so easy to retrofit a power stand onto a pre-power LT.

Only concern would be for electric interlocks, which are likely limited to the side stand switch which kills the engine if you shift into gear with the side stand down. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Every now and then there are power ones on Ebay, from tear downs and trike conversions.

Here is one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200LT-...item4ab479799f
If it goes anywhere close to that, it is one royal helluva deal, even with $50 shipping.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

They also have an '05 FD . Opening price is $100. No bidders yet.

This is a BMW Dealer

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All you need is the stand itself
46522332167 CENTER STAND4.61 1 $279.60 not the entire mount. The mount is identical for all model years. And for that manner you could always just pull your's off and have an arm welded on to it to make it a manual operation.

I have rebuilt several of these actuators successfully and have all the seals on hand as well as new motors. They usually just leak down on oil and then fail to operate fully.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:04 pm.
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I purchased a wrecked 05 LT and someone stole the elec. center stand and side stand.
I was using jack stands on the crash bars to hole the bike up while I worked on it.
Bought center stand and side stand from a 2002 LT. Bolted right up, and wiring plugged in. My bike will die when placed into gear with the side stand down.
I sealed the elec. connection for the elec. stand with sealer just in case I wanted to go back to OEM.
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclineman10
I purchased a wrecked 05 LT and someone stole the elec. center stand and side stand.
I was using jack stands on the crash bars to hole the bike up while I worked on it.
Bought center stand and side stand from a 2002 LT. Bolted right up, and wiring plugged in. My bike will die when placed into gear with the side stand down.
I sealed the elec. connection for the elec. stand with sealer just in case I wanted to go back to OEM.
I had an 02 and that is what I would have done if I had purchased a newer model instead of the K1600. Not having a power center-stand, on the K1600 was for me, a plus.

I know that some like the power stand, but to me, all of the extra hydraulics, electronics and weight for something that I hardly ever use would just be clutter. I never understood the attraction.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I know that some like the power stand, but to me, all of the extra hydraulics, electronics and weight for something that I hardly ever use would just be clutter. I never understood the attraction.
For those of us with injuries and unable to lift the bike onto the center stand manually, the power version is a godsend. Fortunately, you are not in this category. One more expensive part to fail.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #10 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 8:37 am Thread Starter

jzeiler,

I was hoping that would be the case. That way I can keep the electrics simple so the side stand kill switch still operates.

Having a arm welded on is another option.

Thanks
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
For those of us with injuries and unable to lift the bike onto the center stand manually, the power version is a godsend. Fortunately, you are not in this category. One more expensive part to fail.

Hi Tony, Now I can see the need... Knew that there had to be one good reason and I can definitely see your point. Living where it is flat, the only time I ever use a center-stand is for maintenance.

By the way - Happy Birthday.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Feb 25th, 2012 at 6:56 pm.
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Hi Tony, Now I can see the need... Knew that had to be one good reason and I can definitely see your point. Living where it is flat, the only time I ever use a center-stand is for maintenance.

By the way - Happy Birthday.
Thank you, Dano!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in