Another Tire Question (Flame Suit On) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Another Tire Question (Flame Suit On)

Is there any technical reason why any 120/70-17 tire with a "58V" or higher load/speed rating couldn't be used on an LT (like maybe a Shinko Raven 120/70ZR-17 58W)?

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Another Tire Question (Flame Suit On)

You need a belted tread, reinforced sidewall for the LT. Unless the actual load rating is equal to or higher than the Metzeler, don't do it. Here are the 880 specs. Note that it is a load capacity "C" rated at 963 pounds.

CAPACITIES AND CONSTRUCTION
Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 963 lbs./50 PSI
Load Range: C
Bias or Radial Ply: Bias
Tread Plies/Material: 5 Polyamide
Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide
DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless-Can be used with a tube

Here's the Shinko:

120/70ZR-17 W (168 mpn) 58 (520 lbs)

I can't guarantee it will kill you but there is a strong likely-hood you will experience a tire failure at speed if you try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:35 pm.
post #3 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerick
Is there any technical reason why any 120/70-17 tire with a "58V" or higher load/speed rating couldn't be used on an LT (like maybe a Shinko Raven 120/70ZR-17 58W)?
If you want to put a tire on the LT, there is no reason any 17" tire can't be put on......But, If a person values their life, they should consider that the LT is a heavy weight in the motorcycle world, and being a performance touring bike, it is in a world of its own when it comes to tires that are designed and rated for the unique demands put on them by the LT. A few dollars extra to insure you are riding on a tire that will give you the optimum in performance and safety, just has to be worth it. I personally don't understand the concept of fighting the facts, some tires are rated for use on the LT and some simply are not. If you do a search of the forum, you will find the tire subject has been beaten to death, of course there is always the LT rated tire that is preferred over another LT rated tire, but I think you would find that just about every LT rider won't deviate from tires that are rated for the bike by the manufacturer...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Go ahead if that's what you want to do.

Won't find one on my LT. I value the hide on my butt too much to be scrimping on a tire. Especially one made in China, that's just wrong.

B D R
post #5 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
You need a belted tread, reinforced sidewall for the LT. Unless the actual load rating is equal to or higher than the Metzeler, don't do it. Here are the 880 specs. Note that it is a load capacity "C" rated at 963 pounds.

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 963 lbs./50 PSI
Load Range: C
Tread Plies/Material: 5 Polyamide
Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless-Can be used with a tube

Here's the Shinko:

120/70ZR-17 W (168 mpn) 58 (520 lbs)

I can't guarantee it will kill you but there is a strong likely-hood you will experience a tire failure at speed if you try it.
Dean,
First off "C" is a load range and not a load capacity. Second, I believe the data you've provided above is for the Metzeler ME880 160/70-17 rear tire, not the 120/70-17 front.

For the LT, BMW calls for a rear tire with load rating of (at least) 79 which equates to a load capacity of 963 lbs, and a front tire with a load rating of (at least) 58 which equates to a load capacity of 520 lbs.

I am not asking for opinions on brand X, Y, or Z. My question is: technially speaking, other than size (120/70-17) and load/speed rating (58V), is there any additional qualifying spec?

Flame shield up...

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #6 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 9:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You should be fine with that tire on the front. Looks like everyone dive bombed it as a rear tire. As far as Shinkos go there were some delam problems with the GS tires that were radial but the bias have been very reliable. I am running them on my GS right now and like them very much.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Concur. The LT does not require any specially extra reinforced high load tire for the FRONT.
The 58 load rating is the standard load rating for any tire of 120/70-17 size.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #8 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I stand corrected. My mistake.
Load range is load capacity. Here's the front Metzeler in a bias tire.
There is no reason to avoid that Shinko tire based upon load capacity.
Personally I don't worry too much about speed ratings as I never go that fast.
If you try one check back in and let us know what sort of mileage you get out of it.
For me it's all about safety of the tire and cost per mile.

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 520 lbs./42 PSI
Load Range: B
Tread Plies/Material: 4 Rayon/1 Polyamide
Sidewall Plies/Material: 2 Rayon/1 Polyamide
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless, use tube with tube type rim

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Feb 24th, 2012 at 11:40 pm.
post #9 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:28 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Hey Rick, that was a good question. I always used the 880 tire on my LT. I drive a fast as I can so the speed range was important to me and the mileage...
I am interested to see what kind of mileage you get out of a set of these tires.

Let us know...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #10 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 6:31 am

Quote:
Dean,
First off "C" is a load range and not a load capacity. Second, I believe the data you've provided above is for the Metzeler ME880 160/70-17 rear tire, not the 120/70-17 front.

For the LT, BMW calls for a rear tire with load rating of (at least) 79 which equates to a load capacity of 963 lbs, and a front tire with a load rating of (at least) 58 which equates to a load capacity of 520 lbs.

I am not asking for opinions on brand X, Y, or Z. My question is: technially speaking, other than size (120/70-17) and load/speed rating (58V), is there any additional qualifying spec?

Flame shield up...
Rick,
You are correct about the front tire. There are more available (120/70 - 17 with 58w) than the specifically rated rear tire 79v with Reinforced side wall. The one consideration would be if it is radial or bias ply? Prior to 2004 ( I think) the LTs came with radial tires. Due to a design change after 2004 manufacture date, the LTs required bias ply tires. My 2 cents

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #11 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:09 am

I mounted a Bridgestone BT-023 "GT" radial on the front of the LT I had previously. The tire seemed to be wearing well and was "sticky", as in stuff on the road stuck to it when it was new. Sort of like a racing slick. The tire handled well on secondary roads, but always seemed to feel squirrelly on the interstate. The bike didn't want to track right at speed. Since I had used Metzeler and Bridgestone BT-020 bias tires in the past, I had to attribute that to the radial tire.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #12 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Go ahead if that's what you want to do.
Won't find one on my LT. I value the hide on my butt too much to be scrimping on a tire. Especially one made in China, that's just wrong.
At ease, teufel hunden. Although "Danger" is my middle name, I do not wish to be unsafe; that's why I'm asking...

And FWIW, Shinko's are not made in China; from their website: "In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan..."

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #13 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 8:02 am

Quote:
With manufacturing based in South Korea
Guess that is better than North Korea...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:08 am

For what it' worth I've been running Kumho (South Korean) tires on my car for the past several years and been VERY pleased with them, on my second set. They typically rank just below Michelins in satisfaction, and are MUCH less expensive. When the Michelins go on my wife's car she's getting new Kumhos.

I've also run Shinkos on some of my classic Japanese bikes with no issues.

The Korean stuff has come light years recently: Kia/Hyundai are absolutely smoking the Japanese car makers right now with several of their vehicles tops in quality in the sub compact and family sedan classes. 10 years ago they would be lumped in with Yugos.

Chinese tires?

Not a CHANCE.... My new travel trailer came with them. The first thing I did was pull them off and put them on Craig's list. Then I replaced them with some quality trailer tires made in Mexico. Trailer tires made in the US? They don't exist!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:13 am.
post #15 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 11:27 am

I guess the question I'd have is: How much money are you saving? $60? $80? Is it really worth that, considering you're meddling with 50% of your traction budget?

There was a lot of that going on over in the Honda forums...going Darkside with Auto tires in back. Yeah, you could double or triple the mileage, but the savings wouldn't cover the insurance deductible and I just can't see how the differing profile could help ANYthing with handling.

Sure, I could see jumping to another, unknown brand if known-good wasn't available...but that's not really the case here.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #16 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
I guess the question I'd have is: How much money are you saving? $60? $80? Is it really worth that, considering you're meddling with 50% of your traction budget?

There was a lot of that going on over in the Honda forums...going Darkside with Auto tires in back. Yeah, you could double or triple the mileage, but the savings wouldn't cover the insurance deductible and I just can't see how the differing profile could help ANYthing with handling.

Sure, I could see jumping to another, unknown brand if known-good wasn't available...but that's not really the case here.
Again, the question was not about opinions on "unknown" or "known-good" brands. The question was: Are there additional tire specifications other than SIZE (120/70-17), LOAD/SPEED RATING (58V) that an LT front tire must meet?

Also, installing a motorcycle tire that meets (or exceeds) ALL OEM specs is NOT REMOTELY SIMILAR to installing a car tire on a motorcycle.

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #17 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
On the front tire as long as the ratings are equal or better it's not a problem. There are a LOT of front tires available that meet the minimum rating for the LT. I've thought about using the softest compound available for the front & then soaking a rear tire to soften it's compound to match the front just to see what it would feel like on the switch backs in the mountains. My guess is that type of combination would be completely worn out in two days of riding. But it would be fun .

I know you didn't ask about a rear tire but I'll throw this in anyway. There are tires available for the rear that meet the specifications for the LT that were not made specifically for it. They don't always have the reinforced side wall and where the tread meets the sidewall the profile is different which puts it closer to the swing arm. You can correct the clearance problem by using two wheel spacers instead of just one. Both of my LT's have two wheel spacers installed just to give me a little extra clearance.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Again, the question was not about opinions on "unknown" or "known-good" brands. The question was: Are there additional tire specifications other than SIZE (120/70-17), LOAD/SPEED RATING (58V) that an LT front tire must meet?

Also, installing a motorcycle tire that meets (or exceeds) ALL OEM specs is NOT REMOTELY SIMILAR to installing a car tire on a motorcycle.
No doubt, and if ALL of the specifications are met, then it should be peachy...but if the criteria is saving money, then it's not like there's a lot to be saved, based on the consequences of failure.

I'm the first guy to admit there's frequently a LOT of improvements in tires, often for less money (specifically from buying tires for the Vettes), and honestly, I missed the part about it being for the front tire. And yet.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #19 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 8:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
No doubt, and if ALL of the specifications are met, then it should be peachy...but if the criteria is saving money, then it's not like there's a lot to be saved, based on the consequences of failure.

I'm the first guy to admit there's frequently a LOT of improvements in tires, often for less money (specifically from buying tires for the Vettes), and honestly, I missed the part about it being for the front tire. And yet.
Spending more money does not guarantee there won't be a failure as I have had tread bubbles on an ME880 front and I have seen(not mine) tread delam on a rear ME880.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #20 of 31 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 9:03 pm

First thing I learned when digging a hole is to stop digging. I have no dog in this fight. My personal feeling right now two months into LT ownership is: Stick with the accepted norm where it comes to tires. I used that to throw an ME880 on the front of my bike (which has a Battleax on back)

That's all. Don't have any other qualifications on this topic.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #21 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
On the front tire as long as the ratings are equal or better it's not a problem. There are a LOT of front tires available that meet the minimum rating for the LT. I've thought about using the softest compound available for the front & then soaking a rear tire to soften it's compound to match the front just to see what it would feel like on the switch backs in the mountains. My guess is that type of combination would be completely worn out in two days of riding. But it would be fun .

I know you didn't ask about a rear tire but I'll throw this in anyway. There are tires available for the rear that meet the specifications for the LT that were not made specifically for it. They don't always have the reinforced side wall and where the tread meets the sidewall the profile is different which puts it closer to the swing arm. You can correct the clearance problem by using two wheel spacers instead of just one. Both of my LT's have two wheel spacers installed just to give me a little extra clearance.

soaking a rear tire?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #22 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
soaking a rear tire?
+1

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #23 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Got first dibs on any unscratched broken parts.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #24 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 12:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Soaking tires, here you go.. http://www.ehow.com/how_5530034_soften-tires.html
or here http://www.stockcarracing.com/tipstr...ion/index.html
Seems to be a race thing. Do I remember something about saddleman being involved in racing?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:53 pm.
post #25 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Soaking tires, here you go.. http://www.ehow.com/how_5530034_soften-tires.html
or here http://www.stockcarracing.com/tipstr...ion/index.html
Seems to be a race thing. Do I remember something about saddleman being involved in racing?

Holy sh*t, I hope no one on two wheels is seriously considering that...

post #26 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Seems to be a race thing.
It is... and NOT something I would recommend for anyone to do riding a cruiser motorcycle...

just sayin'...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #27 of 31 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

You can buy liquid especially formulated to soften the compound of any tire. We use a fixture with rollers driven by an electric motor. The tread part of the tire is the only part soaked. The side wall & inner part of the tire keep the original hardness. Sometimes you only roll the tire for a few hours and other times for up to a day in the liquid. Some race tracks allow it but most consider it cheating. It was real popular about 20 years ago until someone developed a sniffer that could tell if the tire had been soaked.

I would have no problem or concern running a properly soaked tire on my LT. If I ever do a track day on my LT I'll have several different tires mounted having been soaked. You measure the tire hardness with a durometer.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #28 of 31 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
[...] If I ever do a track day on my LT [...]
If I ever do a track day, I imagine it would be because I have access to something other than an LT.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #29 of 31 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
If I ever do a track day, I imagine it would be because I have access to something other than an LT.

Vespa?

post #30 of 31 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Vespa?
No, Peter, I would not want to ride you bike!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #31 of 31 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
No, Peter, I would not want to ride you bike!

You couldn't HANDLE my bike!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in