Lt won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Lt won't start

Okay, here's the problem. While I'm doing a search, someone may have the answer before I can find it. Bike was backed into garage using reverse, around a month (?) ago. Been on battery tender all but about a week, when the tender was on mower. Been on tender for about a week now. Solid green when unplugged.

Pulled bike out, turned key on, dash lights come one like normal, hit starter button and engine turns about a quarter turn and starter quits. No starter button function after that. Cut off switch seems to be working, it turns the fuel pump off and on (I guess that's what it is). the dash lights don't even dim or change when pushing starter button. In neutral, sidestand up, clutch in. Cut off switch in run. Bike bump started quickly and easily, so the motor will run. Just no starter button.

UPDATE: Found post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...hlight=starter

Went out to see if headlight goes out when pushing start button. The starter works and bike starts. Cut bike off and tried again - starter spins about quarter round and quits. And won;t hit again. SO what is going bad? Starter? If so, I'm going be really bummed - 03 with 18K miles and starter goes out? Or anything else for that matter.

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

Re: Lt won't start

Randy,

What year is your bike?

Can you get it started again and try the reverse once again?

Do you hear a whirring sound after the starter turns over that 1/4 turn?

Let us know what you find out.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Okay, here's the problem. While I'm doing a search, someone may have the answer before I can find it. Bike was backed into garage using reverse, around a month (?) ago. Been on battery tender all but about a week, when the tender was on mower. Been on tender for about a week now. Solid green when unplugged.

Pulled bike out, turned key on, dash lights come one like normal, hit starter button and engine turns about a quarter turn and starter quits. No starter button function after that. Cut off switch seems to be working, it turns the fuel pump off and on (I guess that's what it is). the dash lights don't even dim or change when pushing starter button. In neutral, sidestand up, clutch in. Cut off switch in run. Bike bump started quickly and easily, so the motor will run. Just no starter button.

UPDATE: Found post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...hlight=starter

Went out to see if headlight goes out when pushing start button. The starter works and bike starts. Cut bike off and tried again - starter spins about quarter round and quits. And won;t hit again. SO what is going bad? Starter? If so, I'm going be really bummed - 03 with 18K miles and starter goes out? Or anything else for that matter.

Thanks
Randy
Nah, your battery is on it's way out. It makes enough juice to do some stuff, but when the starter tries to draw a ton of amps, it poops-out.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:26 pm

It may still be a battery. If old / weak, the voltage may drop while starting to the point that relay cuts off the current.
Try the old fashioned jump cables from your car, while running.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

THanks guys. I may have it figured out. I assumed battery was fine because the batt tender light said so. BUT, after messing about and trying different things, the charge light was out, meaning batt is below 75%. And this was just a little messing. But the flashing 75% light came back on after a few minutes. So after reading on here, I went out and put jumper cables to the riding mower battery and it started twice like it supposed to. Soo.... I'm gonna let it charge back up to full and see how it does. Maybe disconnect everything and see how quick it drains.

Ain't got money for a battery right now. Van needs tires, etc. And no job to speak of yet. Lost that last June and been doing some freelance work, but nothing to amount to much. Got a good app in and if that comes thru things will get better. Just gotta get there. Bike may have to wait and funny thing is, I need it soon to do some of the jobs I do have with MSF and state program.

Thanks for the help - I tend to agree the battery is going out. It is one of the UPS batteries and I have at least 2 years on it, so I got my money's worth. Time to start shopping....

Thanks again - you all are the best.
Randy
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 5:13 pm

Seems like your battery may very well be low, on tender or not.

I had a tender that did not charge my battery more than enough for a quick partial turn, although fuel system pressurized and the lights came on as if all was normal. Maybe this is the case for you?

If you have jumper cables and car/truck available, try hooking up jumper cables and see if that resolves your issue. If so, you can pretty much bet that it is the battery.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 5:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Randy,

The tender might not be able to bring it up to full charge since it is that low. Try a normal charger until it is fully charged and then use the tender to keep it there.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 8:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is the only draw back of using a non-vehicle battery (UPS type) They are just not designed to dump large amounts of current for a starting demand. The plates are too thin. they are better suited for a continous medium current draw like that found in a UPS. Sure they work in a bike but for how long? Save you money and get an Odyssee.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:54 am Thread Starter

I agree with all of you that I think it is the battery has finally run it's course. I wish I had an Odyssey. Not likely in the short term. However in the defense of the UPS battery, it has lasted at least two years, maybe 3, so I got my money's worth and depending on curent prices, may have to do that again, at least til things straighten out financially. It hasn't given me any issues up til now. There is supposed to be a good battery outlet near here that I'm going to try.

Jumper cables did help it crank like normal, so another point towards the battery being flat.

I am going to try to borrow an Optimate charger from a friend and see if that will bring it back, at least for a little while. Reading about the Optimate, they are supposed to be great chargers.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Randy
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You might try pulling the battery and taking it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They will charge it for free. We did this in the Smokies when a riding friend's Yamaha Cruiser alternator died. We had lunch while it charged and he could then ride it back to the lodge before it died again.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
I agree with all of you that I think it is the battery has finally run it's course. I wish I had an Odyssey. Not likely in the short term. However in the defense of the UPS battery, it has lasted at least two years, maybe 3, so I got my money's worth and depending on curent prices, may have to do that again, at least til things straighten out financially. It hasn't given me any issues up til now. There is supposed to be a good battery outlet near here that I'm going to try.

Jumper cables did help it crank like normal, so another point towards the battery being flat.

I am going to try to borrow an Optimate charger from a friend and see if that will bring it back, at least for a little while. Reading about the Optimate, they are supposed to be great chargers.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Randy
Before you put it on the OptiMate charger, you might pull the battery from the bike and see if the battery's case is deformed. When my former battery exhibited similar behavior, I pulled it out and saw that the sides were quite bowed out. We will never know if it might have burst if I had put it on a full strength charger... fortunately.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Relax, your battery died.

They do that even on a charger. By the way, what kind of battery do you have and what type of charger?

Over charge that battery and it's dead in short order. Lucky if it doesn't explode and really make a mess.

B D R
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 9:41 am Thread Starter

I can't remember the brand on the battery, but the charger is the Battery Tender brand. I'm pretty sure it's a dead battery - messed with it over the weekend and it only gets worse, but bike will still jump off. Got someone gonna give me their old battery til I can find (afford) a replacement. Being broke sure sucks - I don't recommend it. : ) But you folks surely are a good bunch...

Randy
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:39 am

We hear you.
I used to spend a lot of time in your town, while CrossCreek was still in business.
Sure is a pretty area of our country. Best of luck to you !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in