Correcting speedo error on '05 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Correcting speedo error on '05 LT

I think I read here somewhere that the only fix fot the later models is to remove and reset the needle position. Is that correct ? If so, does the needle just pull off the shaft (I assume so) ? Mine appears to be over-stating by approximately 8%, e.g. 120 Kph on the speedo is 110 Kph by my GPS.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Re: Correcting speedo error on '05 LT

Dennis, I'm sorry i don't know the answer to your question but DO NOTdo anything until someone who knows gives you the right info. Those gauges are painfully expensive.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I first typed "Do a search and you will find where you cut one wire and solder another on the back of the cluster" but in reality, that is what you did when you post a question since the answer in in the related posts at the bottom of the page.

My 02 was off by about 5 mph, the 05 only 2 mph.

The error seems greater the higher the speed. I shouldn't tell on myself, but on Super Bowl Sunday, I was headed to Montgomery to smoke cigars and watch the game. I was traveling south on Highway 82 and got behind a line of 5 cars, the leader almost made the speed limit on the downhills but was dropping off 5-10 mph on the uphills. My plan was to pass them in stages - 2 cars, then the truck, then the next 2 cars. We crested the top of a hill doing about 45, I'm in 4th. Low and behold before me lies about a 1 mile passing zone all downhill with visibility another mile up the next rise. NO TRAFFIC COMING THE OTHER WAY !!!!!! I rolled on full throttle and pull out to pass. That lovely smooth power just keeps coming and coming all the way to near redline when I finally pass all 5 cars and shift into 5th. I glance down and it indicates about 120 mph. GPS shows 114 mph. WHAT A RUSH !!! I shouldn't ever do that again - just too dangerous (but what fun).

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
I think I read here somewhere that the only fix fot the later models is to remove and reset the needle position. Is that correct ? If so, does the needle just pull off the shaft (I assume so) ? Mine appears to be over-stating by approximately 8%, e.g. 120 Kph on the speedo is 110 Kph by my GPS.
There are 2 ways to correct the problem:
#1 - Is use a GPS
#2 - Here it comes....
Vic Agresti posted the following in the 'Hall of Wisdom' on the main board:

Correcting an inaccurate K1200LT speedometer requires access to the back of the speedometer and soldering two tiny jumper wires on specific points.

The speedometer can be accessed by removing the instrument cluster -- then with it sitting on your bench, separate the cluster halves and access the speedometer. OR, you can separate the cluster while itís still in the bike, and remove the speedometer that way.

Randy posted instructions (and photos) on fixing the speedometer without removing the instrument cluster here.

The procedures to access the speedometer by first removing the instrument cluster:

Iíve fixed two K1200LT speedometers after first removing the instrument cluster. I prefer this approach because it seems less likely (to me) to lose or drop something from the (very expensive) cluster. On the 2nd LT where this procedure was used, the very long O ring between the cluster halves came off. Had the instrument cluster not been sitting flat on a bench, it would have been impossible to properly position that O ring to allow reassembly.

It's not difficult to remove the instrument cluster; it just takes time. These procedures assume you have followed the directions in the repair manual to remove/reinstall the cluster. (The odometer reset button unscrews, which the manual doesn't tell you!)

Carefully remove about 25 bulbs/wires from the back of the cluster. The manual has an excellent wiring diagram at page 62.5-- so, you don't have to write down where the bulbs and wires came from. (There is one omission on that page however, the ďextraĒ green/black wire is attached to the terminal just above lights 19 & 20.) Lightly reattach the screws after you remove each wireís terminal, as those screws also hold the instruments into the cluster. Once you have the cluster face down on your workbench (laying on something soft), remove the back panel. There lies the speedometer circuit board (it's quite small, maybe 2.5" square).

WARNING: Be careful when removing and replacing the tiny bulb sockets on the back of the cluster. Several folks have managed to break the filaments in the bulbs and didn't notice until the bike was back together. Replacements from BMW are $2.50!

To fix the speedometer error, solder a tiny wire jumper between the two points at the JB location on the back of the speedometer, and at the two points at the JC location. After doing that, if you have new Bridgestone BT-020s, the speedometer should then be accurate. With other tires, the speedometer should still be within 1%. Refer to the photos in Randyís post, of the speedometerís circuit board to see the soldered-in jumpers. (This is actually the REAR of the speedometer.) Take a close look at the JB & JC location and you'll see the tiny wires.

Use a 15 watt sharply pointed soldering iron designed for electronic work -- Radio Shack sells them for about $8. A 25 watt iron is TOO HOT and the tip is too large. Cut two 2" lengths of 24 gauge (that's REAL small) solid copper conductor and tape a wire over the JB points. Made sure the wire is actually touching the existing soldered locations so you don't have to hold the wire down while you're soldering. Use a very thin ROSIN core solder. DO NOT USE ACID CORE SOLDER! For soldering tips, refer to: http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm Let the soldering tool heat up completely before you start. Then, very carefully touch one point of the JB terminal with the ironís tip, then barely touch the existing soldered area with the tiny new solder . Should take less than 5 seconds per point. Use a VERY tiny amount of solder per point. MUCH less than a single drop. Once you've soldered each of the 4 points, use a small wire cutter to clip the excess 24 gauge wire. If it doesn't cut all the way through (since it should be touching the circuit board), work the wire back and forth until it breaks off. Lightly push on the wire at each location with a small screwdriver or other tool, to make sure it stuck. That's it, you're done.

If the inside of the cluster face plate is other than perfectly clean, now is the time to clean it. Iíve found that car polish (not wax) can be used to bring plastic back to a clear/clean state.

An optional additional modification is to solder one wire of a two-conductor (small gauge) pair to one point of the JA jumper and the other wire to the other JA jumper point. Then, run this wire THROUGH the back of the instrument cluster (or install a connector, so the wire can be removed). Connect these wires to a SPST micro switch that is accessible with the bike fully assembled. If the JA is jumped (switched closed), that will reduce the speedometer reading by another 1%, giving some flexibility depending on your tires and their wear.

Good Luck!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I do not think the later models can be corrected with the jumper wire, only 1999 through 2002. Because speedos tend to be off percentages, you would have to correct it relevant to a selected speed. So if you are looking for accuracy at 70 MPH then setting the needle back 6 MPH will give you that (if you are off 8 percent) but it will still be off as you vary from that speed.

post #6 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 4:39 pm

I don't recall what year it changed. But on the newer bikes I was told this method is not a option. Mine is a 06 and I was told it was the newer design and there are no jumpers. I never personally checked though. I just went off what I found in these forums.
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dean and others. Last night as part of my major service ('05 K12) I took the opportunity to open the instrument cover and reset the speedo needle back by about (estimated) 8 Kph. There is no needle stopper at the zero mark so at rest it now shows slightly back from zero. Very carefully is the approach I took, long nosed pliers to grip the central boss of the needle and pull straight outwards as I figured the assembly must have only been pushed on in the first place. It took about 3 tries to get the needle to where I wanted it, so I think it may be on a (very small) spline. I'll see how it goes and report on the result. The speedo originally read 120 Kph when the GPS stated 111 Kph, and 66 Kph was 60 on the GPS, so I'm hoping I'm somewhere close to the mark.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You did the right thing. That is the accepted method to correct the 05 and up bikes (Randy was the first). One word of warning be sure and NOT touch the inside of the plastic cover as the prints left will be there forever.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in