Playing MP3 through bike speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Playing MP3 through bike speakers

Hi to all.

As a new owner of a K1200LT I have some questions and would appreciate any help.

Everything (as far as I can tell) works fine with the radio and the 6 disk changer. However, I cannot play a regular MP3 player through the bike speakers. I connect the wire from the MP3 to the EXT/HS socket but cannot get any sound.;

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doron Grudo

07 R1200RT
07 K1200LT

I rather be corrected than right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Re: Playing MP3 through bike speakers

If I'm not mistaken that is actually used for a radio output and can't be used for your MP3 player input you need the Aux port for that, and then switch to aux in the radio menu.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Hi Doron,

if your 02' bike comes with a cassette player like my 00', all you need to do is buy one of those tape adapters for like $3 and plug your MP3 player to it.

Best of luck,

Eno

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Hi Doron,

if your 02' bike comes with a cassette player like my 00', all you need to do is buy one of those tape adapters for like $3 and plug your MP3 player to it.

Best of luck,

Eno
+1
I tried several different cables, finally gave up and went this route...worked great and is cheap...a winning combo.
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 7:45 pm

One thing to remember if you go this route. You may need to physically yurn the dummy cassette over if the sound quality isn't there. It does no good to switch the tape direction you must actually turn the cassette over. Once I did this the method works very well.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Thank you guys.

I will go the cassette way.

Doron Grudo

07 R1200RT
07 K1200LT

I rather be corrected than right.
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
One thing to remember if you go this route. You may need to physically yurn the dummy cassette over if the sound quality isn't there. It does no good to switch the tape direction you must actually turn the cassette over. Once I did this the method works very well.

Loren
I don't get this. I am using this method, but if I were to flip the cassette over, I would have to insert the end with the wire into the cassette player. I don't know that anything bad would happen, but it doesn't seem like a good idea. If the sound was funky from the tape heads being misaligned or "reversed", I would expect that changing the tape direction would be the correct move. What am I missing?
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 11:29 am

I don't know what either of us is missing but it happened to me. I was about to give up on the whole thing and bag it when I stuck the thing in the other direction and it played perfectly.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerrity
I don't get this. I am using this method, but if I were to flip the cassette over, I would have to insert the end with the wire into the cassette player. I don't know that anything bad would happen, but it doesn't seem like a good idea. If the sound was funky from the tape heads being misaligned or "reversed", I would expect that changing the tape direction would be the correct move. What am I missing?

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerrity
I think Loren was suggesting that you flip it like you would a cassette to change the direction of play, side to side, not front to back. And he was trying to say reversing the direction of the "player" would not help.

I think.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:19 pm

I agree with bgerrity, reversing direction of play on a cassette requires you to flip the cassette end-over-end, not side-to-side, since the cassette opening in the player is shaped to allow insertion in just one direction, usually (I think!) with the open face (where you can see the tape) oriented to the right. At least that's the way it works in my car. Not familiar with the configuration of the cassette player in the LT, mine is an '09 with the single CD player. Would prefer to have the cassette player so I could use this approach to playing MP3s. I use the cassette "dummy" all the time, plugged into my iPhone and the "Tune In Radio" application, it's almost like having satellite radio without the monthy service charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in