fuel pump retaining nut removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:22 am Thread Starter

fuel pump retaining nut removal

high i dont have the special wrench to remove the big pump to tank nut. anybody know a good way to remove it without damageing stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Re: fuel pump retaining nut removal

Hit it with a hammer.

Seriously, using a screwdriver as a drift, place the screwdriver tip as close to the base of the fins as possible, gentle taps at different points around the cap.

Easy does it. Has always worked for me, having done it many times.

Or... a strap wrench if you have one.

Or.... Make a strap wrench by taking a strip of leather (old belt?) or non-stretching plastic and grip it with a ViseGrip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0-z7urH3g
post #3 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Wink Re: fuel pump retaining nut removal

To add to Curtis' list, you can find some huge slip joint pliers that they make for gripping oil filters that will go large enough to engage the fins on the nut. And they do not have sharp teeth, but typically have gentle bumps on the inside of the jaws, so they will not damage the nut.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Hit it with a hammer.

Seriously, using a screwdriver as a drift, place the screwdriver tip as close to the base of the fins as possible, gentle taps at different points around the cap.

Or.... Make a strap wrench by taking a strip of leather (old belt?) or non-stretching plastic and grip it with a ViseGrip.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Having not replaced my filter yet, I'm going to assume there is a gasket ring in the nut does that need to be replaced or can it go a few rounds before there is a need.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Hit it with a hammer.

That's pretty cool. I just went to Lowes and bought the strap wrench.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 3:42 pm

I used a scrap piece of a 2X4 and a hammer.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Having not replaced my filter yet, I'm going to assume there is a gasket ring in the nut does that need to be replaced or can it go a few rounds before there is a need.
Still using my original one atter 80K+miles. Just inspect the rubber washer for nicks, gouges, tears.... If it looks good, use it.
post #8 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I'll echo Curtis' comments as well. The gasket is between the pump flange and the tank. Just make sure that it is spotless and the flange that faces it is also clean. Then assemble it DRY but I always add a small amount of lube between the nut and the metal flange. This helps the nut slide over the flange when tightening it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 8:11 pm

I used a cheap oil filter wrench which is a handle with a piece of roller chain on it. Wrap the chain around the nut and hook it over the hook on the handle.

Like this one: http://redmoonbay.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=2145

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:07 pm

I use something similar to this.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 6:31 am

John, Curtis good stuff thank you

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 9:20 am Thread Starter

well may sound crazey but i used a two foot level (carpenter lol) straddeled across the ears and bingo came right off. actualy worked very well lots of leverage. but i think i am gonna go buy some of those pliers or a strap wench before i do it again. lol
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:40 pm

About a year ago, I was having a problem with the fuel pump gasket slowly leaking after a filter replacement. I did buy (2 in a package) strap wrenches from HF for less than $10. Had it off several times trying to correct the leak, using several different approaches lube, dry, etc. Finally I read on here somewhere where it was stated that if you are having a problem with that seal, just buy a new gasket. Problem solved. The old gasket cleaned up looked good to me, but it sure wasn't.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Big nut is off, how do you remove the pump?

2007 R1200RT, with 42,000 miles
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Just changed my filter and dead fuel pump about 2 weeks ago. I used a carpenter's square, placed it between the fins and it came right off. The length of the square gave plenty of leverage.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #16 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner
Just changed my filter and dead fuel pump about 2 weeks ago. I used a carpenter's square, placed it between the fins and it came right off. The length of the square gave plenty of leverage.
I have the big nut off, but I wiggled the pump up and it seems stuck. Any special technique to remove the pump from the tank?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I figured it out: use a small flat blade screwdriver (about 1/8 inch wide) and VERY gently, pry between the pump plastic (black) and the tank plastic housing (white nylon I guess). Go around a few times and voila!, the pump will come off. It has a big indexing protrusion: very easy to put back.

2007 R1200RT, with 42,000 miles

Last edited by TeSmSp; Jul 7th, 2012 at 4:30 pm.
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
To add to Curtis' list, you can find some huge slip joint pliers that they make for gripping oil filters that will go large enough to engage the fins on the nut. And they do not have sharp teeth, but typically have gentle bumps on the inside of the jaws, so they will not damage the nut.

John
This is the best solution I've tried. Strap wrenches don't get enough purchase. These are available at Harbor Freight for about $5 and work perfectly for this.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 4:39 pm

I recently replaced the fuel filter, hoses and rubber gasket. I removed the big nut with a huge pair of channel locks, but it ate up the nut a bit, so I purchased the strap wrench - well worth the few bucks it cost!

Make sure you check the rubber gasket that goes between the fuel pump and tank - I put my original one back in, put it all back together, mounted it on the bike, put some gas to check it out, and it was leaking! Hard to tell that the gasket was bad, but it was - It's worth the $6 to get a new one; just make sure everything is clean and dry when reinstalling.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
This is the best solution I've tried. Strap wrenches don't get enough purchase. These are available at Harbor Freight for about $5 and work perfectly for this.
Interesting. I bought a set of strap wrenches from Autozone for not much money. There were two sizes and both had rubber straps. The large size fit perfectly and removed the ring nut with no damage at all to the nut. And I cleaned up the gasket and used it again and tightened the ring nut snugly with the strap wrench and no leaks after 2,000 miles of riding.

There was plenty of room for the strap to get a good purchase on the ring nut.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
I recently replaced the fuel filter, hoses and rubber gasket. I removed the big nut with a huge pair of channel locks, but it ate up the nut a bit, so I purchased the strap wrench - well worth the few bucks it cost!

Make sure you check the rubber gasket that goes between the fuel pump and tank - I put my original one back in, put it all back together, mounted it on the bike, put some gas to check it out, and it was leaking! Hard to tell that the gasket was bad, but it was - It's worth the $6 to get a new one; just make sure everything is clean and dry when reinstalling.
How old was the gasket? Mine was 5 years old (original as far as I know of my 07) and the gasket had some gunk on it so I cleaned it up well in avgas and used it again and it looked like new and no leaks. I will probably replace it at the 48K point, but mine was in great shape after 27,000 miles and 5 years.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
How old was the gasket? Mine was 5 years old (original as far as I know of my 07) and the gasket had some gunk on it so I cleaned it up well in avgas and used it again and it looked like new and no leaks. I will probably replace it at the 48K point, but mine was in great shape after 27,000 miles and 5 years.
I have an '03, bought just last year, and not sure if it was ever changed. It had 45K miles when I changed it, and once I got the new one, I could see that the old one had shrunk considerably! I stretched it and hairline cracks were all over it! It was definitely time for a new one.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in