Shaioli - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Smile Shaioli

I am a new member and I am looking for pro;s and con's on a 2003 K1200LT-E. I am considering buying one and would like to hear from some of the membership.
Thanks Shaioli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 8:08 am

Re: Shaioli

Welcome to the forum..............

I own an '03 .........love it........It is a bit on the heavy side and that reflects at parking lot speed. Once your moving, that weight just disappears. Slow speed handling just takes some practice. The bike is great in the twisties and will keep right there with a lot of the sport bikes. For touring, nothing in my mind, compares with it.

I'm sure more will chime in any moment but just for the H*** of it before I get beat to it.....

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 8:35 am

03 was the best year, and black was the best color.

Pro great ride for 2 up. Wife sat on it in the show room and said I could get one. Who is to argue? So I got one. Bought 2 year old with 1300 on it, put 78K on it. Got me miles of smiles.

Con can be expensive to maintain. Everything is expensive to fix. Why many of us learn to do part of, if not all of the work ourselves.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 9:00 am

Depends on how many miles and what has been done to it. Any records available? How much are they asking? What's included? Condition of tires? What are your skills as far as maintenance?

By the way, the 02 was the best one built! Green was the fastest color too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:06 am

Talking Re: Shaioli

Welcome,

I have an "03 LT with 129.322 miles on it and still going. Last november I rode from north of Kansas City, MO to Miami, FL.........over 4000 miles total and the bike never gave me a bit of trouble.
You'll need deep pockets if you can't do anything for the bike yourself. Parts are high and labor is atrocious.
I ride mine year around , but had to learn to kjeep-er up in the parking lots at slow speeds and stopping. It still lays down for a nap once in awhile when I'm not paying attention. I just back up to it, pick it up and ride on. No big deal as it has bumbers on each side to protect itself. Pretty cool idea, I think.

I'll repeat what's above..................if you buy an LT, Ride it Like you STOLE it. I do! Nobody will be able to take the SMILE off your face.

Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:51 am

I purchased mine new in 2003. I has been a great bike and handles like a dream. Mine has 106k miles and runs great, just recently had to replace engine output shaft seal and all the near by seals like, rear main, all trans seals and since it was apart new clutch parts. The weak link in these bike are the oil leaks causing clutch failures, at least that has been my experience. I still love how great this bike performs enjoy every mile. Good luck with your decision.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Depends on how many miles and what has been done to it. Any records available? How much are they asking? What's included? Condition of tires? What are your skills as far as maintenance?

By the way, the 02 was the best one built! Green was the fastest color too.
Only the ones with hula girl stickers..........otherwise, like Michael said.......black is best..............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Sorry guys..... it is a universally accepted fact that the purple ones are fastest, prettiest, and they also get the best gas mileage and never wear out rear tires. This FACT is often disputed but has never been proven false. Besides, you just read it on the internet so it HAS to be true.

Nuff said,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Had a 2002 in mint condition for 10 days. Got into a head on collision on the highway. The bike was a write off, but so was the two year old minivan! The bike is built solid to say the least. Loved it so much travelled through the rocky mountains in October to pick up an '07 for the replacement. The wife loved it so much she had no problem at all with spending the extra money for the newer one.

But, as others have mentioned, upkeep can get costly unless you're good with the wrenches. I am, but I also don't have any time to spare, so this bike has cost me a few sheckels to say the least. But for a machine that keeps both me AND my wife happy, I'm willing to spend the money
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
Only the ones with hula girl stickers..........otherwise, like Michael said.......black is best..............
A blast from the past! Tahiti Beer lady.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 4:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments on the 2003 K1200lt-e. It is loaded and has 36,000 miles on her. I can do the maintenance on her and I have the time,just don't want to spend all my time wrenching. asking price is $7,500.US
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:29 am

That sounds like a great price. Good luck with your purchase and ride it. Who ever owned previous sure the heck didn't.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Talking Re: Shaioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaioli
Thanks for the comments on the 2003 K1200lt-e. It is loaded and has 36,000 miles on her. I can do the maintenance on her and I have the time,just don't want to spend all my time wrenching. asking price is $7,500.US

Loaded?

Most is standard......IE, heated grips, power windshield, heated seats, 6 CD changer, cruise control, chrome mirrors, onboard computer for outside air temp, miles to empty, average fuel milage, abs braking with linked brakes saying" hit the front or back brake levers and it STOPS w/o sliding", and I'm probably missing something. If it has all that and nothing more, offer him $5500 for it.

It's probably going to have leaking seals as that's not many miles on an "03, so it's been sitting and seals dry out and then leak. You don't want one leaking into the dry clutch area.

Just saying.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm

I had the 03LTE......it had everything and it was all factory installed. Great bike. I'd buy it.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in