Sticky Gear Selector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Sticky Gear Selector

Hello Guys,

I mentioned a few weeks ago about my gear selector being sticky. I have to bring it back up with my foot and send it back down also, it is not returning to centre on its own.

I was reluctant to take it completely apart so I just sprayed some copper grease on to the linkage but as some else here mentioned at the time, I will have to strip it all.

So today I stripped it, and removed the two ball and socket joints. The were filthy, but moving quite freely, I completely clean them and go them ready for re-installation with more copper grease.

However, I think that the friction I am experiencing is not coming from the linkage, but the bolt and washers that are used to hold the actual gear pedal in place.

It is held in place with a large allen bolt. When I finally removed this, I saw traces of nut lock, at least that is what I thought the red stuff was anyway.

Then I allow this bolt to sit loosely, the pedal is free as a bird, but when I tighten it, it makes the pedal quite stiff. There looks to be a sort of bearing in the middle of the hole in the pedal, but it does not look to me like it is freely moving. The washer on the big bolt also seems to be making a friction joint with the pedal and the more I tighten the allen bolt the more the gear pedal becomes stiff and less free.

Firstly, any of you guys got a more precise understanding on how this is supposed to operate. Should I leave the bolt loose-ish and hold it in place with nutlock as opposed to friction?

Do I need a new gear selector or a new bearing, if so, how do I get the bearing out.

Should I dare riding the bike at all without nutlock in the bolt again?

Any additional comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark in Ireland

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 4:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Mark,

We call it Loctite over her, but yes use it. The bolt is a shoulder bolt and when it is tight the pedal bushing should be free to move - Never mind I checked the manual, its not a shoulder bolt but it holds a bushing that should be fixed and the pedal (with its bushing) moves about it. Try pressing out the bushing (could be gunked up) and clean it up. Hope that helps.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 5:47 pm

I have mine apart and in my hand. Don't ask why. Gear selector has two plastic bushings One on each side pressed onto shifter. There is a open space in the center between the two bushings. Open space may be for extra grease? Shifter is held on by a oval head screw M10X50 6mm allen head and a washer on the outside The screw goes through a metal bushing. The metal bushing is what gives the shifter the proper spaceing when the oval head screw is tight. The metal bushing does not move, the shifter only moves on the bushing. The only way it can't move freely is if the metal bushing is woren and allows the oval screw to bind against the plastic bushing. Does the metal bushing (spacer) move smothly on the two plastic bushings? Plastic bushings could be bad, but if the spacer moves freely it not the plastic bushing. I have never heard of the metal bushing wearing to be out of speck or the plastic bushings in the shifter being bad. I know I didn't fix your problem. I hope David reads this he may beable to help.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbreen
So today I stripped it, and removed the two ball and socket joints.
Did you do the tranny ones?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 5 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:12 am

sticky shifter

My LT shifter got sticky too. Had to 'toe" it up. All because I had dropped it on L side, bending the lever so it rubbed on the fairing. Took me a while to figure that out. Steve

sswhite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in