Wilbur, HyperPro or Ohlins Shock (need your thoughts) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Wilbur, HyperPro or Ohlins Shock (need your thoughts)

I am in the process of upgrading my rear shock and spring due to the ‘bottoming-out” of the bike over small bumps when I am riding solo (I weight in around 225 lbs fully loaded up). That said, I have a number of options and would like to hear your comments.

1. Send the shock and spring to Hyperpro and they can place a Hyperpro spring on it. Cost is about $250 or so.
2. Buy a new Hyperpro shock/spring – cost $818.
3. Buy a new Ohlins shock/spring from Bob’s BMW for $1,195.
4. Buy a new Wilbur shock/spring cost is unknown.

Does anyone know what the best setup is for a rear shock (based on price and performance)? If so, it would be great to read your comments.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Re: Wilbur, HyperPro or Ohlins Shock (need your thoughts)

I went with Wilbers both front and rear, I cannot even began to explain how much they changed the ride, both with single and two up.

The reason I went that route was for the safety of my passenger. I thought about going with just hyper pro springs but felt rather then mucking about with it to just get it done.

Wilbers

Rear model 640 with hydraulic preload (knob mounts to same bracket as stock) and rebound damping adjust: $798.00. **More advanced model with remote reservoir and three way damping circuits: $1098.00

Front Model 630 with rebound damping and manual preload adjust: $569.00

I went full dolly and am quite happy with the outcome.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 8:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wilbers $1397.00 front and rear . Mine should be here this week. Ted Porter at the Beemer shop will set you up, according to your hight ,weight and driving style.
three weeks order to delivery. My old shocks are so flat, with my 29"inseam I can flat foot at any stop.

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 8:47 pm

hyperpro springs on stock shocks are good option, lots of others have done that, you can always spend lots more money, my stock shocks are like new at 80K kilometers
(50K miles) but springs are weak - the new hyperpro front spring a full inch longer - both springs off the shock

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #5 of 18 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Buy struts off eBay w/10,000 miles $350
Buy HyperPro Springs $290
Have new HyperPro springs mounted $60

Swap out old struts with 90,000 miles and install new: 11 hours

Considering it's an 11 year old bike, I felt it worth the $$$. Rides better than I ever imagined.

http://redtigre62.blogspot.com/2011/...-and-ahhh.html

2012 K1600GT

post #6 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 6:24 am

Glenn, You are not to far from Tennent NJ ( I think). You might do well to contact Claus at
http://www.run-n-lites.com/index.asp He is very helpful on Hyper Pro and Wilbers. I guess he is still there? I worked with him on my RT some years ago.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 6:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your input...looks like I am going to send my old shock and spring set to Claus at EPM Performance Imports. He is knowledgable about the bike's set up and can turn something around in a few weeks. Since my bike is apart from my recent clutch story, it only makes sense to run this way.

Glenn

P.S. I spoke with the guys at BeemerBoneyard and they said all three shock/spring manufacturers were pretty much relatively close in performance.
post #8 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 8:15 am

I have heard very good things about all 3 shocks. I went with Hyper Pro shocks/springs front and rear. I had Tom Cutter / Rubber Chicken Racing Garage / set them up. Bike feels like a new ride. He is not far, just north of Philly in Yardley PA

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #9 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 8:34 am

There is more to a shock than the spring and while the spring is an important component, replacing the stock spring is only a bandaid. eventually the whole shebang is going to need to be replaced, unless money is the issue, why not just replace with an excellent rebuildable shock. Ohlins, Wilburs & Hyper Pro are excellent choices, all have their happy customers and all represent a huge difference in ridability and performance. If it helps I once read a post, cannot recall which forum by a fellow who has 2-GS's, one with Wilburs and the other with Ohlins. His comment was "I told Ohlins what I wanted and they sold me what, they thought I wanted". I spoke with Wilburs and they asked what I wanted in a shock and sold me exactly what I asked for" You certainly cannot go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #10 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 10:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

I think you will do better to buy new than to alter the stock shock. I hear all three are far superior to stock. I went with a complete set of Ohlins from Dan Kyle Racing. Dan will use your input to tune it to you and your riding habits, and I doubt it is any more expensive than going through Bob's to whoever their supplier is.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #11 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 11:20 am

Wilburs for me!

Front and back. Stockers are in the closet, just in case.....

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
"I told Ohlins what I wanted and they sold me what, they thought I wanted".
But the question is: Who's opinion was better?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #13 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 2:56 pm

I have heard very good things about all three of these aftermarket shocks, but I too went with Ohlin's for Dan Kyle Racing. He will give you his best price quote via email. The Ohlins I put on my bike make a HUGE difference in the way the bike handles. Like night and day difference. It is almost like riding a different bike.
post #14 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 3:33 pm

+3 for Ohlins and Dan Kyle Racing. Dan will work with you so that you get what you need.
Also as a side note it's nice to have a vendor that will take care of your rebuilds. I had mine Ohlins serviced after 25,000 miles and Dan turned them around in 2 days. He also called me, asked how they handled and if there were any adjustments I would like while they were in for servicing.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
But the question is: Who's opinion was better?
I suspect Wilburs, the poster raved about the his Wilburs over his Ohlins. But again this was a quote from another forum post.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #16 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 6:02 pm

My bike is finished but I have not picked it up yet. The BMW dealer said the difference is amazing. Based upon my research on this site, I went with Hyperpro springs and retained my stock shocks. I have a 2003.LT with 40K on it. I just bought it in December but wanted it ready for spring. After my wife & I took a 150 mile ride, I knew the suspension had to be stabilized as it bottomed out, was soft in turns and simplify unresponsive. My dealer had no Hyperpro knowledge before as this is the first set they have installed.

I am on my second K1200RS and I have a K100 which I am considering putting Hyperpro springs as well as it does not have a pre load adjustment & loaded its way to soft. Once I have a chance to try out the new setup, I will post a report!

John...

John & Janie DeLaney
2003 K1200 RS
2003 K1200 LT
1989 K100
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 8:55 pm

So I'm confused...Folks are saying shocks are worn out at 30k miles...and folks are seeing vast improvements by keeping the 'dash-pot' part of the shock and replacing the spring. This tells me that the shock really isn't 'worn out', it's that the user is asking more and more of the bike.

I can't imagine a solid wound coil of steel is actually losing it's elasticity in 30,000 miles...is it?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #18 of 18 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
So I'm confused...Folks are saying shocks are worn out at 30k miles...and folks are seeing vast improvements by keeping the 'dash-pot' part of the shock and replacing the spring. This tells me that the shock really isn't 'worn out', it's that the user is asking more and more of the bike.

I can't imagine a solid wound coil of steel is actually losing it's elasticity in 30,000 miles...is it?
to me the "shock" is also the strut as in MacPherson strut no different than the rear struts on my Taurus or Jetta and feels and acts like any other gas strut I have put on my cars (when new not trashed), the springs are quite soft - the new progressive Hyperpros I got have more coils and are thicker so firmer - the front Hyperpro is 1 inch longer when I put the springs beside each other, rears same length. I hate the very soft springs they put on the rear of cars and always put heavy duty springs on them when the shock/strut fails.

at 50K miles my "shock" certainly is not worn out, very firm to compress and slowly returns to extended slowly like it should when not held compressed

from following the forum have read about about a lot of owners doing the Hyperpro spring change and are as I am very happy with the difference

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in