TB's / Plug Wires & and the test rides - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

TB's / Plug Wires & and the test rides

Late last fall, I test rode a new LT. I then test rode a used '01 with 48K.
The reason I test rode the '01 was because the '06 was considerably smoother than my '02 with 60 K on it. The '01 was smoother too !!
Somewhere along the line a vibration had gradually crept into my '02. The vibration is best described as the harmonic distortion of the K Buuzz at 4500 - 5000 rpm. Only the buzziness was beginnig to manifest itself at 1500 rpm and got really buzzy at 80 - 90 MPH. It was an insipient thing that just sort of crept in. I didn't really notice it was there until the test rides.

WTH was it ? Tires were new, but I rebalanced them and then HAD them rebalanced to confirm my abilities. All ok there. I had installed Ohlins about 10,000 miles earlier, so I pulled them and thoroughly inspected and tested for wear, thinking maybe I had screwed something up or something was not right in this regard. Checked wheel round and bearings. All OK. Next was all the vacuum lines, tb connections, and tb sync. Everything checked out OK. BTW, the tbs were right on with very little tweaking needed. ( did a little anyway just to be able to say I did it ). So , Now What??

Still was buzzy. My tech, ("bike whisperer" Bob at Engles here in KC) after I explained it all to him asked me if I checked the plugs. Yep I had changed them. What about the wires? No misses I told him. Bring it in here he says, so I did. He checked continuity of the wires and "bingo", there it was. Number four had a wear spot on it and a substantially higher resistance, 20x the others !! We changed it out and vwalla, much smoother. Not perfect but much smoother, far less black smoke on full rip, and so far better mpg (will test couple of more tanks to confirm) with much more responsive throttle response and more aggressive roll on. Bob says that #4 is carboned up due to weak burn ( #4 plug was sootier) and may get smoother once blown out.

Number 2 wire had some chafing as well so we changed all 4 of them to be safe. None of the other "stuff" I did needed to be done to solve this issue but at least I know that all is well in "the grape".

Thought you might be interested. Don't overlook the obvious and do the easy stuff first.
See ya down the road.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"

Last edited by bushj1; Mar 18th, 2006 at 1:45 pm. Reason: spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the post Jon. It isn't the first this week a post addressed chaffed or worn plug wires causing roughness! I'm certainly going to be more aware of it as my milegae piles up.

What wires did you use as replacements? The parts lists show both Beru and Bremi wires. The Beru are a bit more costly.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend

What wires did you use as replacements? The parts lists show both Beru and Bremi wires. The Beru are a bit more costly.
Don't know 'cause I never looked. They cost $45.00 each though !!!! HTH

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushj1
Don't know 'cause I never looked. They cost $45.00 each though !!!! HTH
Those would be the Bremis, then. Thanks.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushj1
Late last fall, I test rode a new LT. I then test rode a used '01 with 48K.
Bob says that #4 is carboned up due to weak burn ( #4 plug was sootier) and may get smoother once blown out.

Number 2 wire had some chafing as well so we changed all 4 of them to be safe. None of the other "stuff" I did needed to be done to solve this issue but at least I know that all is well in "the grape".

Thought you might be interested. Don't overlook the obvious and do the easy stuff first.
See ya down the road.
Get a can of "Sea Foam" from auto parts store, follow directions on can, it will clean the carbon out.
Sonny

Sonny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in