BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   radio/control head compatibility (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/66328-radio-control-head-compatibility.html)

pinero2 Feb 11th, 2012 11:06 am

radio/control head compatibility

i have an '02 LT, just removed the old radio/cd and installed a brand new one from bmw. new and old look identical, but the part numbers are different. the new radio/cd turns on and plays, but i can't control it... can't change volume, stations, tracks..... cant find any info on control head compatibility. i attempted the "disconnect battery" fix and nothing... anyone had experience with that?

thanks,

deputy5211 Feb 11th, 2012 4:48 pm

Re: radio/control head compatibility

Not heard of that one before.

I have one from an '02 sitting around that I do not need. If you want to try it out, PM me or email me at my handle here @ aol.com.

jzeiler Feb 11th, 2012 4:53 pm

Take a look at the second part of this article for a way to check sw versions on the radio and the controller Article Some are compatable and some are not.

1jusbill1 Feb 12th, 2012 8:43 am

I had this discussion some time ago with another board member, and I think it addresses some of your issues:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/private....wpm&pmid=28413

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

pinero2 Feb 13th, 2012 8:57 am

thanks for the article John.... i'll have to give that a try.... .

Bill, the link you sent, won't work.

i appreciate your help..... this is been a frustrating exercise.... especially with my bike sitting in my garage with all the tupperware off..... but, i'm getting closer.

thanks again,

pinero2 Feb 13th, 2012 11:32 am

here's the latest on the radio/control head compatibility..... i talked to Becker. if your bike had an old radio/cassette that was upgraded to radio/cd, you must use radio model #6534 to maintain radio/control head compatibility.

1jusbill1 Feb 13th, 2012 4:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinero2
here's the latest on the radio/control head compatibility..... i talked to Becker. if your bike had an old radio/cassette that was upgraded to radio/cd, you must use radio model #6534 to maintain radio/control head compatibility.

Not sure about a model #6534, but any radio for a 1999-2004 LT will work with only a small antenna connection cable mod if switching from a cassette to c/d model (small cable available from BMW). I emphasize this because in the last year or so another board member had a problem with radio compatibility, called Becker and got some erroneous information. Not knocking Becker................ but they make a lot of radios for a lot of different combinations. Bottom line any '99-04' BMW badged Becker radio will interchange with any RCU/radio combination in that same model range, but you should be careful not to mate the ones that will give you the battery drain problem.

Once BMW went to the digital dash (2005) the radios were modified for that application and will not work on the earlier bikes. As a matter of fact, all the radios look exactly the same whether they're from a R1200CL, R1200RT, or K1200LT, but only those designed for the '99-04' LTs will work on your bike. They'll all turn on when installed in your bike, but you can't control them - I found out the hard way as did you, apparently.

The gist of my previous post was almost the same as the Word article that jzeiler recommended, but with a little more technical data that I've been able to gather. As a matter of fact, after rereading the word document, I think I am the original author. To reemphasize, check the RCU/Radio software. Since your system is not currently functional, determining software versions is going to be tough for you. You may have to try your units in another bike. RCU version 2 will work with any radio. RCU version 3 will only work with radio version 7.0. If you’ve got RCU version 3.0 and any Radio version other than 7.0, you’re going to need to change one or the other. The RCU is the least expensive of the two of course. The radio that I eventually put in my bike had a sticker on it indicating it was 7.0 located on the top side of the plastic fuse holder on the back of the radio unit.

Hope this sheds some light on your project. If you need any further information let me know. Since this is real old stuff, why don't we take this off board and use the PM method from now on.

Bill

1jusbill1 Feb 13th, 2012 5:57 pm

pinero2,

I know I'm not in compliance with my previous post, but just in case you don't get the PM, here's the thread I was referring to concerning erroneous info from Becker:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...131#post316131

Also, another member was doing some radio work and I posted the following listing some radio part #s:

...........................Just make sure you get a radio that's designed for the '99-'04 model machines. Part #65 12 7 675 190 and #65 10 7 681 942 are the 2 most recent replacement radios, and both have Version 7 software which will work with any RCU software version.

The cassette to cd radio swap on the early '99-'XX models will require part number: # 65 21 7 661 914 (antenna adapter tubing)

The back of the radio on the radio/cassette unit is different from the radio/cd unit. The antenna connection requires the above mentioned antenna adapter cable.

It's an adapter so you don't have to remove the current front antenna cable. Just plug and play!

And no, the radio/cassette model does not have the ten pin AUX port on the back of the radio.

I'll send a PM too.

Bill Edwards

pinero2 Feb 15th, 2012 8:21 pm

thanks for the information and advice.... unfortunately at this moment i have a brand new radio/cd for the '05 LT that i can't use and the dealer won't take back. my last attempt in all of this is to send my old radio in to Becker and have them refurbish it. it sounds like a reasonable and affordable solution.

jzeiler Feb 16th, 2012 8:55 pm

You might try contacting "Painterman" as he has an 05 and has a radio problem. Might find it a new home.