Did I kill my front brake? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Did I kill my front brake?

Dropped my LT in the garage tonight. Initially tried picking up the bike thinking I had to hold the front brake handle in (to lock the front wheel & gain better leverage). Well, I stupidly put a too much pressure on it trying to stand the bike up. I practically used it as a handle. I know, I know...

So, after realizing you need put the bike into gear to get that leverage, I get the bike up successfully.

I observe now the front brake grip practically goes to within about an inch of the handgrip. Seems to hold pressure ok, but it feels like it travels a lot closer to the hand grip than before. I can also hear a caliper grip the disk when I pull the hand grip.

I started the bike, and took off a short distance down my drive. ABS seems fine, and the bike stops ok - but that brake feels a little sketchy.

Thinking I should bleed the front brake in case any air bubbles somehow got in there.

This bike is a '99 with all original hoses. Its been serviced regularly. Any suggestions?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Re: Did I kill my front brake?

While bleeding wouldn't be a bad idea I also strongly advise replacing the brake lines rpior to the bleeding. Many went with Spiegler as opposed to stock, cheaper and a good reputation.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dose your year have adjustment on the brake lever? did it move?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 7:47 am Thread Starter

The adjustment was at setting 1 - where its always been. Moving it to 4 now gives a great deal more feel. I'll be giving it a good once over this morning.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 8:44 am

Ed, those original OEM brake lines tend to weaken over time. With the added pressure you applied, the line may have developed some bulges. Also look very closely to see if any brake fluid is leaking anywhere. As others have said, replace the brake lines. Mine started leaking around one of the crimps on the small connection line on the right front caliper after an emergency stop. Hope you didn't strain yourself to badly getting the big girl on her feet again.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Bled the front brakes and have better lever feel. Holds pressure as it seems it should. I'll road test tomorrow, but deep down I know I should replace the lines.

Not afraid to take tupperware off, but am curious how much needs to to replace that main line coming down from near the steering head?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
While bleeding wouldn't be a bad idea I also strongly advise replacing the brake lines rpior to the bleeding. Many went with Spiegler as opposed to stock, cheaper and a good reputation.

B.G. --

Any source for a deal on the Spiegler kit... $235 MSRP is a bit rich for me at this juncture?

B.T.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
Not afraid to take tupperware off, but am curious how much needs to to replace that main line coming down from near the steering head?
You'll need to remove all the upper side panels, lower right side panel, right side footrest, battery covers, stingray, fuel tank, right side handlebar covers, and the cover over the ignition switch to get to all of the brake lines and ABS unit for bleeding. You might get by without removing the stingray and fuel tank, but for me, it was easier with them out of the way. When I changed to Spiegler lines, I had removed the ABS unit for rebuild service. I thought while I had the thing torn down, I might as well change the brake lines.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in