Bob's BMW Is Now Carrying The "Wet Clutch" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Bob's BMW Is Now Carrying The "Wet Clutch"

I am in the process of digging into the reason for my "intermittent slipping clutch" and decided to do an exploratory pass at the clutch slave seal as a possible culprit. During my ordering of parts from Bob's BMW in MD, the parts guy said, "you may want to replace your OEM clutch with a "wet clutch" should you do a clutch job."

When asked more about the wet clutch, I quickly determined they are now carrying the Siebenrock clutch to avoid clutch issues should a clutch get contaminated with oil/brake fluid. His reasoning was this: LT riders have the option to use a cell phone and being on the road should their clutch go; GS riders are sometimes off road and possibly without cell service.

Nonetheless, they know the issue of the clutch. Interesting to say the least....BTW, the cost will be about $235 - $250 ish.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Re: Bob's BMW Is Now Carrying The "Wet Clutch"

Huh?
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 7:05 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Huh?
I'll bring you up to date on the oil resistant clutch disc tomorrow morning at breakfast Rich.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 8:40 pm

There are various group buys by members of this site for the "oil proof" clutch. I have one waiting to go into my LT as soon as I am strong enough to at least be helpful in the process...

Mine came from another member who previously participated in a group buy and was holding on to it for when he needed it. He gave it to me and I will replace it at the next group buy.

IIRC, price was about $200 + $15 or so for shipping; not much different than the price listed from Bob's.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Mine ended up being about $240 with shipping and exchange rate direct from seibenrock. It was not part of a group buy.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_nj
...you may want to replace your OEM clutch with a "wet clutch" ......
Huh?
Well, a wet clutch is what BMW provides for free - when the seal fails... Ha!

Actually, Siebenrock manufactures a DRY clutch that claims to be operating even when coated with oil. Their info is here. I am a bit skeptical: the general difference between dry and wet clutches is that the former press against a machined metal surface of the flywheel, while the latter against a matching fiber disk that can "squeeze off" the oil.

But, really, I do not know much about that. I wonder if there are any Siebenrock users that have suffered oil contamination and could relate their exprience. Manufacturer's demos don't do much for me - I have seen my share of late-night infomercials.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 11:50 am

I'm not sure of the slip factor, But, They claim it won't slip, AND, It won't be ruined by getting oil on it.. You're still going to have to go in there and fix the leak and clean things up... I think the jist of it is that you only have to do just that...

I think it's great that there's an actual source for them now... Yeah Bob's BMW...
I have one of their shirts.. Came with my GS...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Garage

My clutch is on it's last legs. It still shifts fine and is not skipping but with my luck, it will go soon.

My LT now has almost 65K in the original clutch. The slave cylinder went at 35K but other than that- no problems.

My question- what's the big deal about this new clutch? I got 65K on the original why change it to something new? Is it really worth the extra 100 bucks over stock?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #9 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
My clutch is on it's last legs. It still shifts fine and is not skipping but with my luck, it will go soon.

My LT now has almost 65K in the original clutch. The slave cylinder went at 35K but other than that- no problems.

My question- what's the big deal about this new clutch? I got 65K on the original why change it to something new? Is it really worth the extra 100 bucks over stock?
I have 160,000 miles on my original clutch & it doesn't engage until the lever is almost all the way out. What is yours doing Rob ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Well, a wet clutch is what BMW provides for free - when the seal fails... Ha!

Actually, Siebenrock manufactures a DRY clutch that claims to be operating even when coated with oil. Their info is here. I am a bit skeptical: the general difference between dry and wet clutches is that the former press against a machined metal surface of the flywheel, while the latter against a matching fiber disk that can "squeeze off" the oil.
The wet clutches I have seen have all had alternating metal and fiber plates. I have not seen a wet clutch that had fiber against fiber. Which bike model had this? My Kawasakis (100 through 1200) all had metal, fiber, metal, fiber, etc., in the stack.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I have 160,000 miles on my original clutch & it doesn't engage until the lever is almost all the way out. What is yours doing Rob ?.
Same thing. It still feels fine and no skipping. But two different techs at two different dealerships have told me it's almost gone. Now I'm paranoid.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 10:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you can't get it to slip in 5th with a hard roll on above 4,000 RPM you still have a long ways to go. Mine would slip once that way then it would not slip again right away. Couldn't get it to do it twice in a row. Still put 3-4K on it before I changed it out. Wasn't oil soaked just close to the wear limit and that was @50K but I did pull a trailer 6,000 miles and slipped the clutch a little too much during that trip.

FWIW I tried to order a clutch direct from Seibenrock but screwed up the transaction and it failed to go through. Then I decided I didn't really need to get one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:58 pm

I replaced my clutch with a stock clutch. After I put to much fluid in the clutch reservoir. At first it was ok then it started slipping again. I noticed the the adjustment wheel was set on three so I figured what do you have lose. So I adjusted it to one. It stopped slipping. I am a happy man now.
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesslick
I replaced my clutch with a stock clutch. After I put to much fluid in the clutch reservoir. At first it was ok then it started slipping again. I noticed the the adjustment wheel was set on three so I figured what do you have lose. So I adjusted it to one. It stopped slipping. I am a happy man now.
Interesting..I thought that adjustment was just for comfort.
I have 75k on the bike I just bought..have no idea if it has been changed.
Works great..was doing like 40 in 5th and rolled her all the way back..and no slipping.
I have had 4 diff peole look at this bike now and thought it was a lot newer then the 2000 it is.
People guess i paid anywhere from 6 to 10k !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in