windshield on K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

windshield on K1200LT

i have a 2000 LT and the windshield has gotten hazed and cloudy. are there any suggestion on bring it back to normal or will it have to be replaced?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Re: windshield on K1200LT

Lexan refinishing is a pretty common thing around light aircraft. It's similar to polishing and waxing paint in that you use progressivly finer and finer grit to take down the scratches. You can also get plastic headlight polishing kits at automotive stores...it couldn't hurt to try it as replacement windshields are in the neighborhood of $250 or so.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There has been lots of discussion in the past about the stock BMW windshield, try a search and you should find lots of detail information.

As I remember, the stock windshield has a coating on it and any attempt to try to polish it will NOT work and probably make it worse. Sorry I don't remember what the cure for your problem is but seem to remember replacement is in your future.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 7:08 pm

there is a coating on our windshields. if u start the "polishing" u r in 4 a lot of elbow grease. u will have to polish the coating completely away. once u have done that u will have a nice clear shield. don't really know what "losing " the coating will reveal down the road but it does clear thing up did this on my r1100rt and r1200cl
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr
there is a coating on our windshields. if u start the "polishing" u r in 4 a lot of elbow grease. u will have to polish the coating completely away. once u have done that u will have a nice clear shield. don't really know what "losing " the coating will reveal down the road but it does clear thing up did this on my r1100rt and r1200cl
Thanks everyone, yes i can see the coating coming off in spots all over the windshield. i will give the polisihng a go and see what happens.

good luck and good riding!
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 7:48 pm

See, that's what I get for buying a used bike. It came with a Cee Bailey windshield (nice and clear, too!)

Are the wing fairings coated too?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Moisture gets in between the protective coating and the polycarbonate and fogs it. Wax will seal in the moisture. Alcohol will draw out the moisture. My OEM shield lasted a few years before it got bad enough to replace it. Used only hot water to clean it except those humid days. I think it started going bad when I tried other stuff on it to clean it.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:13 am

Get denatured alcohol and wipe the windshield down, it doesn't hurt the coating, and it will immediately get rid of the moisture that is causing it to cloud up, no rubbing necessary, just wipe it down. The coating is actually there to protect the windshield from scratching, once you remove it, the polycarbonate will get that fine haze of scratches that is so visible in the sun!! I also use pledge to keep my windshield protected and shiney

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 8:20 am

As said before never ever use polish on that windshield. Denatured alcohol or just simple furniture polish as Jonsons Dust & Clean. This blue stuff in a spray bottle
But if you get in to the cold winter time you will have always a little grey fog building up on the screen. Just wipe it off with alcohol or Dust & Clean. If you use alcohol don't rub to much.

Manfred
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:24 am

Sounds like a good excuse to get a new Cee Bailey's windscreen if you ask me! ;-)

If you use alcohol, use the kind labelled "denatured." Kinda hard to find, but works well, even on the radio displays used on pre-05 models.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in