BMW MOA , What do you think ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

BMW MOA , What do you think ?

My wife and I have now have had our LTC for 11 months, and have travelled about 14,000 miles so far. What a machine ! Anyway, I have been considering joining BMW MOA for a bit, and am interested in your opinions. Let`s hear it.

Don't waste a day wishing you rode!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
2002 K1200 LTC
1984 kawasaki ZN700 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Re: BMW MOA , What do you think ?

Been a member since late 80s. They keep upgrading benefits. Our favorite is the greatly discounted cost of MedJet service - hospitalized away from home? Medjet flies you to a local/home medical facility AND ships your bike, too! Check it out on their site. PLUS annual tours, great mag, etc.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:54 pm

+ 1 on MedJet. I enjoy the travel logs and articles in the magazine.

post #4 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:59 pm

The monthly magazine is one of the best published. Also, the Annonymous book can be very helpful if you are out on a trip and have problems. I always carry it but....knock, knock, knock......have never had to use it.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #5 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 1:41 pm

I have been a member of the BMWMOA since 2006, and have been to several of their International meets in West Bend, Wi, Gillette Wyoming, Redmond, OR and Johnson City, TN. We decided to miss this year's trip to Sedalia, MO, as I did not want to sweat through July in Missouri and the lack of available motel accommodations, although the MOA seems to have a long list they add to each week up to 100 miles away as this seemed to be a common criticism of the 2012 event. http://www.bmwmoa.org is their web site. They do have a big beer tent at the rally, which they strive to keep close to $1 a drink, and the number of food vendors, motorcycle vendors and displays is larger. The evening entertainment is more extensive.

I am also a member of the BMW RA (Rider's Association). I have been to a couple of their annual events. They are less formal and a little less organized than the MOA. Don't expect organized rides or maps when you go - they tend to expect riders and groups to go out on they own, which works of me. I am headed to this years 40th International Rally June 14th-17th in Copper Mountain, CO, which I expect to have better weather and does have more motel space.

Yes, my camping out on the ground days are pretty much over. Both MOA & RA offer sherpa service to set up ready to go campsites and both have UPS shipping to and from the rally so you do not need to overload the bike going back and forth.

BMW MOA is more politically active in support of motorcycle causes than the BMW RA. The MOA's ON magazine is okay, but I like the RA's OTL better.

Bill

Neither is a bad choice.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #6 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Member since '81 - #32,806, IIRC. The BMWMOA Magazine (Owners News or BMWON) is absolutely at the top ranks of enthusiasts' club publications. That and the Anonymous Book are worth the membership cost by themselves.

Member benefits listed here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/club/membership/benefits ; membership link at the bottom of the page

The MOA forums are also very active, and there is a very active classifieds section.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well, I have been a member of both the BMW MOA & BMW RA for 30 years. The MOA's Anonymous book has really came to my rescue a few times. I think the Anonymous book & MOA's Owners news magazine makes the MOA well worth it. As far as rally's go the RA's is a lot more laid back that the MOA. I like the way the RA tends to run things, the MOA sometimes has a few Barney Fife type's that lessen the experience for me.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 6:34 pm

I joined for 1 year to give it try. I thought the magazine was great! The Anonymous Book looked like a potential life saver when on the road and in trouble. Never had to use it but was glad to carry it with me. The only thing I found strange was that when my membership expired I heard nothing from them. I really wasn't keeping track of it and usually depend on email or junk mail for membership or subscription reminders. I sure understand not spending the money on mailing but the email thing puzzles me.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #9 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 7:11 pm

My thought is this, if you are a manufacturer recognized group more should be done for the members as far as documented issues. From what I have read and posted by members who have met with and speak with factory reps and then post that the FD issue is minimal and nobody ever paid for a repair because BMW will good will all FD failures is a load of crap. There are threads upon threads regarding brake, FPC, fuel level sensor, and FD faults without any push from BMWMOA to have these issues addressed. They shouldn't be so warm and fuzzy with BMW. BMW tends to hide from issues and MOA is on board. They should sip the Kool-Aid not bath in it.

The AD magazine is OK

I'm not a rally person and never used the anonymous book so can't speak regarding either.

just sayin and you asked
post #10 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Garage

I been a member for 2 1/2 yrs like the monthly mag great reading.
I like to keep up on the upcoming events , been to a lot of rallies .
Well worth the cost to be a member and belong to a charter club.
they just don,t have a forum as good as this for LT owners.
Ernie

E.L. Buff
85 K100rt sold
09 K1200lt
90 K1
96 K1100rs
91 R100rt
post #11 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 8:33 pm

I was a member for a year and did not renew. I don't camp, and most events are nowhere near SOCAL. The magazine has some good articles, but for the most part is is about old members patting themselves on the back and taking pictures of themselves eating somewhere. I personally did not find much value but YMMV.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I do like the magazine. I can live vicariously through the ride reports; anything written by Jack Riepe is a real hoot; their product reviews are kind of light, but I actually enjoy looking through the advertisements, also. And if you're an Airhead or into DIY maintenance, there are two very technical articles each month that would be of great value to you.

I keep the Anonymous book in my tool kit, and I'm listed in it to provide help/assistance as best I can. You never know when you might need help, or be able to offer some.

I've been to one of their international rallies. It was interesting; the sessions were informative; the vendors were plentiful! Some people go every year; I might go to another one if my work schedule and the rally location were "right".

I bought a life membership a few years ago while they were still available. I'm not sure I'd want to pay the annual dues for 20-30 years.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 24 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 10:20 pm

been a member of both groups for over 10 years, like them both but like the RA a little better. Both have good rally's and Magazines but the RA's tends to be more into the technical and history and used to be more irrelevant, While the MOA's tends towards more rides, If I had to just pick one it would be a hard decision.
post #14 of 24 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Here's a perspective on the anonymous book. I got a call last spring from two Canadians who needed some help. They were a long way from home and about 80 miles from the nearest dealership. Trailered the bike to my place and trouble-shot it, then trailered it to the dealership. It was very cool to be able to help out. If you join, consider being in the book.

post #15 of 24 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:55 am

The rallys are fun. The website is excellant. The magazine is my favorite and I get them all. From my perspective its a no brainer...
post #16 of 24 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:34 am

I was a member for one year when i first got a BMW. No reminder on my membership expiring and i asked one question on the forums regarding my ABS and got so many responses on how to ride and the fact "that i should not be using my rear brakes" along with a couple of smart ass replies. I have been riding for over 35 years and did not ask HOW to ride. Soured my taste for the club. I get nice replies here even when i ask stupid questions.
post #17 of 24 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 4:21 pm

+1 on the MOA, have 29 years of back issues and the /6 airhead that started it all. They still have good maintance info. and listing of up coming rallies.
post #18 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:25 am

I've been a member of the MOA and RA. I dropped the RA after the new editor decided the OTL magazine would be primarily devoted to racing and the 1000RR. A great bike, but I'll never own one.

I joined the MOA in July '05 and been a member ever since. I am now the national dealer liaison, and support the MOA. Are they perfect in every way? No. But it is a good organization and well worth the money. I've been a premium member since day one and until this year have never had to use the towing. Twice last year, I had to have a bike towed back home. Once, over 100 miles. That one tow bill recouped the cost of the premium membership.

If you're not sure, I can lead you to, and offer you (and any non-members, or ex members) access to our 3 Free program. You may sign up on line, or by calling the MOA offices, or by contacting me via PM. What you will get is three free magazines at absolutely no obligation. Most find various things in the magazine of interest to them.

While I have never used the Annonymous Book, I have been on the receiving end of the phone calls. Worst one was a hapless fellow from Texas speeding through a small town in the Smokies trying to get to his cabin before his GS final drive gushed out the last of its oil. The police officer didn't buy his story and was going to write him a 20 over ticket. He called me, at 2:00 am, and I responded to the scene. Sure enough, his final drive was toast. I explained the failure to the officer and he didn't write the man a ticket. I helped get his bike off the road and made arrangements for the dealer to pick it up the following Tuesday.

I do believe the MOA is a fine organization; that's why I volunteer my time. Try it free for three months then make your own decision.

Greg
MOA # 119684

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #19 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 2:51 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
I get nice replies here even when i ask stupid questions.
Nice...really nice commentary on our community.
post #20 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 8:15 am

Cool Re: BMW MOA , What do you think ?

I've been in the Anonymous book since 2000 (I think, got crs) . I have never used it myself & only ever got 2 call. One we did diagnostics over the phone and found the problem. The other was just for directions.
Tony Binaichi loves to tell the story of how we, met. His bike would not start, my Brother Ace and I looked at it knew it could not run without parts trip (shattered fly weights), had the bike strapped down in the van on the way to the guys house before we even knew his name.
So no matter what all the whiny BS about mag content and so forth.
MOA is membership driven, dont like something, quit jacking your jaws step up to the plate and make something happen. (know a wee bit about mc mags)
Dont like the content write an article and submit. (You dont have to be a journalist, just follow the 5 W's. Who-What-Where-When-Why and any editor that worthy of a high school newpaper slot will be able to make a readable, informative article)

In a blatant steal from JFK
Dont ask what the MOA can do for you
Ask what you can do for the MOA

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

Last edited by UncleRock; Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:28 am.
post #21 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 8:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

I really like the magazine and had a picture of my cockpit displayed in the last (Feb. 2012) issue. The articles inspire me to push my mechanical boundaries. I don't offer a lot of insight on the forum for either the LT or RT since I'm still fairly new to both of them, but I do read multiple sections almost daily. If a problem comes up, I'll know where to go to get the help I need. I find just getting the basic maintenance done for myself is rewarding.
The LT forum is a very unique place as far helpfulness is concerned, but I also see a lot of good interaction on the MOA site. Shoot, Paul Glaves checks in very frequently to offer advice. Maybe there should be an LT section in ON. There is a lot on knowledge that has subscribed to BMWLT.com.
Maybe it's that I have yet to meet very many riders from either forum, but that's my fault for not pushing hard enough to seek them out. Maybe at this year's CCR that will all change.
I opted for the 5-year MOA membership knowing I'm in this for the duration.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Last edited by jers99lt; Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:40 am.
post #22 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:50 am

Cool Re: BMW MOA , What do you think ?

I hesitated making a comment. I have been a member for 7 years, I believe. I enjoy the monthly magazine and have been to 3 rallys. I carry the Annonymous book and have never had to use it. I was called once for advice by riders going through our area. I have never used any of their benefits and they do very little for the local clubs that are affiliated in my opinion.

Having said that, the MOA got on my bad side this past summer at the rally in PA. They have some staff with a PC agenda that I believe does not belong in a motorcycling organization. I let them know about it and, of course, they denied it. But actions speak louder than words. I will spare you the details and simply say they are on probation with me. If they keep the PC crap out I will remain a member. If not, I and many friends of mine will be saying goodbye. Too many other organizations and options to put up with that stuff.

Ultra LT
post #23 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
...Having said that, the MOA got on my bad side this past summer at the rally in PA. They have some staff with a PC agenda that I believe does not belong in a motorcycling organization...
Because of this, probably going to see the membership of the RA increase as many will jump ship from the MOA.

---
post #24 of 24 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 2:31 pm

My MOA number is 67976....

Tells you what I think of them.........

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in