Hyperpro shocks and lowering seat height - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hyperpro shocks,lowering seat height & battery leakage.

I recently had my both front/rear OEM shocks replaced at 30k miles with Hyperpro shocks, custom built for my weight/passenger/luggage at half preload. The shocks also are designed to lower height by an inch. I rode 1,100 miles on the new shocks from LA to Napa valley round trip and they performed very well. The shocks are pricy ($1700) but I highly recommend the shocks. The inch lowering doesn't affect much as I tried leaning the bike a lot with passenger and luggage scraping only once on the right side the center stand.

The bike handles superbly now better than before. The center stand (2") and kickstand had to be modified and shortened. The center stand doesn't even need any effort now. I am 5'7" and my inseam is 27" my feet are almost flat on the ground with the lower OEM seat. I am also replacing the Metzeler tires with Avons.

My brand new Oddessey battery loses about 0.10v/day if not used and usually around 11,57v it barely turns and makes it but starts. Its usually 12.58v after a good ride. This problem is being researched for electrical leakage. I have a 1w solar charger installed on the top case but wasn't used part of the time as I had a small bag on it. The left rear speaker has stopped working so that is being looked into too. The bike performs very well in all aspects for a 2003 with 32k miles. Will try to post some pics.

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LosAngelesMan; Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 3:26 am

Re: Hyperpro shocks and lowering seat height

I am putting Hyperpro Springs on my 03 LT with about 39K on it. Leaving the shocks stock. I believe it's a less expensive permanent fix. Not sure, but I'll advise. Also - I have Avon's on my RS and was going to put them on my LT but Avon does not make a tire that is rated for the weight of an Lt so I stuck with Metzler's.

John & Janie DeLaney
2003 K1200 RS
2003 K1200 LT
1989 K100
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:09 am

Talking Re: Hyperpro shocks,lowering seat height & battery leakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMan
I recently had my both front/rear OEM shocks replaced at 30k miles with Hyperpro shocks, custom built for my weight/passenger/luggage at half preload. The shocks also are designed to lower height by an inch. I rode 1,100 miles on the new shocks from LA to Napa valley round trip and they performed very well. The shocks are pricy ($1700) but I highly recommend the shocks. The inch lowering doesn't affect much as I tried leaning the bike a lot with passenger and luggage scraping only once on the right side the center stand.

The bike handles superbly now better than before. The center stand (2") and kickstand had to be modified and shortened. The center stand doesn't even need any effort now. I am 5'7" and my inseam is 27" my feet are almost flat on the ground with the lower OEM seat. I am also replacing the Metzeler tires with Avons.

My brand new Oddessey battery loses about 0.10v/day if not used and usually around 11,57v it barely turns and makes it but starts. Its usually 12.58v after a good ride. This problem is being researched for electrical leakage. I have a 1w solar charger installed on the top case but wasn't used part of the time as I had a small bag on it. The left rear speaker has stopped working so that is being looked into too. The bike performs very well in all aspects for a 2003 with 32k miles. Will try to post some pics.

If you find the cure for the left rear speaker, please post it. Mine was intermittant for a spell but now no worky. I took the speaker to a radio shop and they say it's good. I checked the connections under the rear seat and they seem OK. Guess I must have a connection prob somewhere. I don't really miss hearing from the rear left, but would like for it to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:37 am

Re: Hyperpro shocks,lowering seat height & battery leakage.

*****"The bike handles superbly now better than before. The center stand (2") and kickstand had to be modified and shortened. The center stand doesn't even need any effort now. I am 5'7" and my inseam is 27" my feet are almost flat on the ground with the lower OEM seat. I am also replacing the Metzeler tires with Avons."*******

I put regular Hyperpro springs on stock shocks, he asked me if I wanted lowering springs, glad I did not go for it - did not realise one would have to modify the stands so much or at all - I have a 31 inch inseam and can still manage OK even tho it sags about 1/2 inch less with me on it

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 11:59 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY
I am putting Hyperpro Springs on my 03 LT with about 39K on it. Leaving the shocks stock. I believe it's a less expensive permanent fix. Not sure, but I'll advise. Also - I have Avon's on my RS and was going to put them on my LT but Avon does not make a tire that is rated for the weight of an Lt so I stuck with Metzler's.
Avon does make tires for the LTs. Go to their website http://www.avonmoto.com/fitment-results

Avon recommends:

Storm 2 Ultra Front sku 4556117 120/70ZR17 (Load rating 58W)
Storm 2 Ultra Rear sku 4566413 160/70R17 (Load rating 79V)

I think they are about $299 for the combo. I found very good reviews for these tires right here in this forum.

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 1:27 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

The battery 0.10v/day drain was narrowed down to the Ipod adapter which I use Isimple but I guess it will happen with any adapter you use as the 6 CD changer wiring to the right saddlebag is live all the time irrespective of ignition off or key in any position.

Solution is put a toggle switch in between the wiring or simply just unplug adapter when bike not in use and parked overnight for for a few days.

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in