Someone stole the wires on my map light! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Someone stole the wires on my map light!

I stripped a bunch of plastic off my new-to-me '99 LT today. What fun! In the process, I found out that my map light doesn't work because it isn't even connected. I wasn't able to find any loose wires or plugs, so I'm a little confused. Any ideas what this is all about?

BTW, what's that little bulb on the bottom of my headlight? It doesn't look like it works with the reflectors at all. Very odd.

Thanks!
Andy

Andy in Cary, NC

1999 BMW K1200LT (Yellow! (formerly champagne))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Talking Re: Someone stole the wires on my map light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteude
I stripped a bunch of plastic off my new-to-me '99 LT today. What fun! In the process, I found out that my map light doesn't work because it isn't even connected. I wasn't able to find any loose wires or plugs, so I'm a little confused. Any ideas what this is all about?

BTW, what's that little bulb on the bottom of my headlight? It doesn't look like it works with the reflectors at all. Very odd.

Thanks!
Andy

On my '03 the little light up front is a "parking" light. Turn the key to the left past lock and it should come on with a tail light too. It should also be on when your headlight is lighted..
Not sure about your '99, but the pros will jump in here soon and straighten me out if I'm off base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Re: Someone stole the wires on my map light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
On my '03 the little light up front is a "parking" light. Turn the key to the left past lock and it should come on with a tail light too. It should also be on when your headlight is lighted.
Well, that makes a lot of sense. It also explains why my rear light has sometimes stayed on even when the bike is "off". Of course, the bulb in the front didn't come on. So, I just went outside and plugged and unplugged it a few times to get a contact. Now it works. Same thing was wrong with the instrument lamp on my fuel gauge. Too bad I didn't realize that's all it was until after I ordered LEDs to replace the instrument lights.

Andy in Cary, NC

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 12:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Someone likely dropped the wiring for your map light doing service. It's two right angle push on terminals if I remember correctly. If you want to go in after the wiring, there's a screw behind that light that holds the cover on. Takes a flashlight to se it.

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Dean - I have all of the plastic off the front end. There are no loose plugs.

On the other hand, it looks like people use the map light circuit to power their GPS. Apparently it's possible to do this and still keep the map light functional. In my case, I bet the previous owner just didn't bother to figure out how to do that and just re-purposed the map light circuit completely. Annoying. I don't like buttons that don't do anything.

Andy in Cary, NC

post #6 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 10:19 am

Make sure you turn it back to the lock position before you walk away from it. If you don't you will be pushing it home. It doesn't seem to take all that long for the battery to go down. DAMHIK

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
On my '03 the little light up front is a "parking" light. Turn the key to the left past lock and it should come on with a tail light too. It should also be on when your headlight is lighted..
Not sure about your '99, but the pros will jump in here soon and straighten me out if I'm off base.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 11:21 am

Your map light just requires a12v source make sure to use a switched source (key off no power)

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in