Stereo Replacement thread, But different... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By hdironhead78
  • 1 Post By Tankist
  • 1 Post By Tankist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Stereo Replacement thread, But different...

Hi all, I bought my '02 K1200lt about a year ago, and the stereo never worked, so I went through the threads and tried all the tricks, and nothing worked, so I was faced with replacing the stereo.

I wasn't going to spend BMW money for a new factory unit, and I thought hard about the Jensen upgrades a lot of you are doing. But, what I ended up doing was something totally different, and was relatively easy, and I feel obliged to share it with others considering their options.

I bought a Millenia Marine grade radio off of eBay for $40 (No CD player, but has AUX input, USB, and SD) shipped to my door, and I bought a BMW 3 series aftermarket radio adapt kit, with antenna plug for another $10.

It was more or less as simple as installing an aftermarket stereo in a car, connect like colored wires, and plug and play. I did not have to cut up the stingray. The only thing I had to do was pull the factory head unit out (with the cassette deck) and slide the new one in. Also, I had to connect the two purple wires going to the external controls for radio power.

Stereo sounds great, and the bike looks totally factory. I'm a little concerned about opening the glovebox to control the radio, but I don't think it will happen enough to really annoy me. I can just hook my phone up to it via USB and be rocking out.

Check out the pictures, I'm curious of your opinions, and I'd gladly help any of you with technical details on the how-to. Me and a buddy did this in about 2 hours last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio1.jpg
Views:	5633
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	34421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio2.jpg
Views:	2434
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	34422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio3.jpg
Views:	3612
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	34423  
Bassmanls likes this.

Paul L.
Upstate NY

2002 BMW K1200LTC
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S3T
1978 HD Sportster
1975 HD FXE
1978 Honda CB 750F Super Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Garage
Re: Stereo Replacement thread, But different...

I like it!

My '02 radio has been out (well, ONE of the four channels works) for some time now - and I have to admit I miss it - commuting to work everyday would be nicer with tunes.

Do you have specific model #'s for the radio and adapter?

EDIT - I think I see the model # as MIL-MR50 from the pic....

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 27 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

The wiring kit is here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220946647470 I would also assume that any car audio shop would have a similar wiring kit, it is the same one for a BMW car, from like 1988-2005 or something crazy like that.

And, the guy that I bought the stereo from has a few more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140683336708...84.m1423.l2649.

The stereo is the MIL MR50. I got to say I'm giddy like a schoolgirl right now about this. $50 and I'm jammin'.

Paul L.
Upstate NY

2002 BMW K1200LTC
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S3T
1978 HD Sportster
1975 HD FXE
1978 Honda CB 750F Super Sport

post #4 of 27 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdironhead78
The wiring kit is here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220946647470 I would also assume that any car audio shop would have a similar wiring kit, it is the same one for a BMW car, from like 1988-2005 or something crazy like that.

And, the guy that I bought the stereo from has a few more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140683336708...84.m1423.l2649.

The stereo is the MIL MR50. I got to say I'm giddy like a schoolgirl right now about this. $50 and I'm jammin'.
Is that wiring harness plug-n-play with the stock connectors?

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #5 of 27 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes it is. I now have a Series 3 BMW and was surprized the it uses the same connector as the LT for its stereo. This is even better than the Jensen mod if you are on a tight budget and don't need external controls.

Way to go.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 4:39 pm
Sit

Interesting idea, just put a marine radio in oddments box and keep factory look. HMMMM Now all you need to do is find a remote, wired or not and replace the remote for the factory unit with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #7 of 27 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Interesting idea, just put a marine radio in oddments box and keep factory look. HMMMM Now all you need to do is find a remote, wired or not and replace the remote for the factory unit with it.
I went with a different brand (BOSS) and used the BMW ISO harness.
The sound is brilliant and having all four speakers working is great, iPod connection is a bonus also the cd doesn't skip but not having the handlebar controls is a little frustrating.
The remote is infrared so I have to have the lid open for it to work.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg443...pg&res=landing

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #8 of 27 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Did any of y'all look at mono units(if they are still sold)?

I cannot hear the advantages of stereo through the speakers when riding.
\
One chanel is out in my radio's amplifier.

i've been pondering just getting a mono amplifier to drive the LT's speakers.

I really only use the amplifier for audio from my Garmin which has a lack luster MP3 player.

It's been quite a few years since i found anything on FM that came close to music I've stored for MP3 playback.

Best from Tucson/
bob

PS: Not having the handle bar volume controll would be a real PITA. I find the bike's auto volume controll is good up to around 55. After that, I have to increase the volume the faster I go. Around 85 I've got the volume at max which isn't enough to overcome the noise at 85mph.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 27 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 4:21 pm

I'm about to install a Pioneer MVH-155UI which is simply a radio with iPod integration. It also has an I/R remote - HOWEVER - Pioneer have a wired remote option and in the US you can buy a marine grade wired remote, the CDMR-70. which with a little bracketry would offer a pretty slick looking handlebar remote.

I also have an enquiry going with PAC-Audio who make steering wheel remote interface boxes to allow the fitment of aftermarket stereos to cars with inbuilt/proprietary steering wheel controls.

They have some experience with Harley and none with BMW.

They also make a universal device that allows you to program their interface using the controls..

Now the big question - does anyone on this thread know the circuit diagram of the handlebar remote?
post #10 of 27 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here you go. Suchlauf is "Seek".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Control HB.JPG
Views:	1433
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	36924  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 27 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Thanks John.

Also found this which is probably the way I'll go.

http://www.jvde.net/pioneer_wired_re...red_remote.htm
post #12 of 27 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Just built this little circuit to work with my new Pioneer head unit and it works a treat.

Take a look at:-

http://www.jvde.net/pioneer_wired_re...red_remote.htm

I added a switch to use the MUTE button on the handlebar controls to cycle between a MUTE function and a SOURCE function.

So now I can use the handlebar controls for MUTE/SOURCE, VOL+/- and SEEK +/-

Plug in my iPod - ditch the 6 stacker in the pannier (more room!!!!) and I'm good.

Special thanks to Jeroen Van den Eynde who designed this neat little circuit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	36936  
post #13 of 27 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like you got a great deal but there aren't any more listed on ebay.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 27 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:38 pm

It's done - the new head unit fits a treat. My home brew handle bar control interface works as advertised and it looks pretty good imho.

I ended up re jigging the factory wiring as I couldn't find the room to use a 3 series converter and keep it neat and waterproof.

I covered the remote converter in heat shrink tube and tucked it in beside the head unit.

I also added 2 4 pole relays to switch the audio output from body speakers to headset - my next project is to install the bluetooth intercom system and I'll hook it into that.

I also installed 2 waterproof switches in the oddments box.

One operates the speaker select relays and the other toggles the MUTE button on the handle bar from MUTE to SOURCE so I can select Radio or iPod without having to open the oddments box on the road.

Send me a PM if you need any more information - it wasnt difficult, just a matter of referencing the forum for information, searching the web and careful study of the wiring diagram.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	36964  
post #15 of 27 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdironhead78
Hi all, I bought my '02 K1200lt about a year ago, and the stereo never worked, so I went through the threads and tried all the tricks, and nothing worked, so I was faced with replacing the stereo.

I wasn't going to spend BMW money for a new factory unit, and I thought hard about the Jensen upgrades a lot of you are doing. But, what I ended up doing was something totally different, and was relatively easy, and I feel obliged to share it with others considering their options.

I bought a Millenia Marine grade radio off of eBay for $40 (No CD player, but has AUX input, USB, and SD) shipped to my door, and I bought a BMW 3 series aftermarket radio adapt kit, with antenna plug for another $10.

It was more or less as simple as installing an aftermarket stereo in a car, connect like colored wires, and plug and play. I did not have to cut up the stingray. The only thing I had to do was pull the factory head unit out (with the cassette deck) and slide the new one in. Also, I had to connect the two purple wires going to the external controls for radio power.

Stereo sounds great, and the bike looks totally factory. I'm a little concerned about opening the glovebox to control the radio, but I don't think it will happen enough to really annoy me. I can just hook my phone up to it via USB and be rocking out.

Check out the pictures, I'm curious of your opinions, and I'd gladly help any of you with technical details on the how-to. Me and a buddy did this in about 2 hours last night.

Looks like a nice install ! Off topic, what color is your LT ? in the photos it looks like Ferro Blue, my favorite. I have a Roadster that is Ferro...my LT is silver.
post #16 of 27 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 3:53 am

I now have this working on Sony (only those with with wired remote connection) PM me if you would like the details.
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 7:55 am

Back to the original post--won't pretty much any single-DIN radio work in there, as long as you have the 3-series adapter kit?

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #18 of 27 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwing
Back to the original post--won't pretty much any single-DIN radio work in there, as long as you have the 3-series adapter kit?
Yep, you're right BUT...
to have the handlebar controls functioning is a BIG bonus.

I have swapped out my BOSS unit for a Sony just so I can use original controls. Having to open the oddments box every time you need to adjust the volume or change tracks/stations was painful and sometimes dangerous.

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #19 of 27 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 11:17 pm

No one talks about my favorite feature on the stock radio, one I would hate to lose by changing to after market.

Speed controlled volume.

Adjust the volume once then just enjoy. In town It's worth it's weight in gold!

53 MPG and life just keeps getting better

2001 Triumph Sprint ST [sold]
2000 K1200LT 'Nimitz'
post #20 of 27 Old Oct 25th, 2013, 10:31 pm

The increasing volume with increasing speed removes the need to take one hand off the handle bar to adjust the volume, something I do not want to give up.

some day someone who can read the schematic will be able to isolate that circuit so that it can be incorporated into replacement units.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #21 of 27 Old Oct 26th, 2013, 9:26 am

That speed control volume is the nicest part of the factory radio.
post #22 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 8:15 am

Angry Re: Stereo Replacement thread, But different...

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem since the initial installation of a radio.
It goes off after a couple of seconds (20 or so).

I bought and installed Panasonic DEH-X3500UI with an option to connect the remote solution (but have not connected it yet - need to find somebody to make the card for me).

Everything work fine (during the 20 seconds).
I turn it on with the button on top of the dash (the stock "power" button) the radio starts playing and the sound is great.
After 10 seconds or so the stock dash screen starts flashing "no radio" and after 10 seconds of the flashing the radio goes off.

I checked the situation without the radio at all. I removed it and pressed power again.

It looks like my bike does not see the radio even though music plays and everything is functioning.

I would highly appreciate any hep on this.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Andrey
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 3:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankist View Post
Hi guys,

I have a strange problem since the initial installation of a radio.
It goes off after a couple of seconds (20 or so).

I bought and installed Panasonic DEH-X3500UI with an option to connect the remote solution (but have not connected it yet - need to find somebody to make the card for me).

Everything work fine (during the 20 seconds).
I turn it on with the button on top of the dash (the stock "power" button) the radio starts playing and the sound is great.
After 10 seconds or so the stock dash screen starts flashing "no radio" and after 10 seconds of the flashing the radio goes off.

I checked the situation without the radio at all. I removed it and pressed power again.

It looks like my bike does not see the radio even though music plays and everything is functioning.

I would highly appreciate any hep on this.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Andrey
It was possible to solve the problem? How?
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltshnik View Post
It was possible to solve the problem? How?
Yes, I did.

The power cord I used comes from the BMW system that does turn it off because it decides the radio is not there.

I have taken the power from another source that does not change. It started working.

It does shut off by turning the switch.

I hope it helps.
Cheers
Ltshnik likes this.
post #25 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 2:43 am

Quote:
Yes, I did.

The power cord I used comes from the BMW system that does turn it off because it decides the radio is not there.

I have taken the power from another source that does not change. It started working.

It does shut off by turning the switch.

I hope it helps.
Cheers
Thank you very much for your answer. Where did you get food?
post #26 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltshnik View Post
Thank you very much for your answer. Where did you get food?
Hey,

I am not sure what exactly you asking BUT if you are concerned about another power supply I used so I just went through all available in the connection set of the radio box and tested all OR if you are interested who gave me the solution SO I would say - I ate my personal brain.

I hope that answers

Cheers!
Ltshnik likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 10:37 am

I asked where did you get "+"
Quote:
Hey,

I am not sure what exactly you asking BUT if you are concerned about another power supply I used so I just went through all available in the connection set of the radio box and tested all OR if you are interested who gave me the solution SO I would say - I ate my personal brain.

I hope that answers

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in