NHSTA Opens Investigation into Final Drive Failures - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:54 am Thread Starter

NHSTA Opens Investigation into Final Drive Failures

After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August 2011, the NHSTA has finally opened its first official investigation into the failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever style final drive. NHSTA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now. But, if the findings are what we all believe they will be, the scope of the investigation should be expanded. If you have had a final drive failure on your Paralever equipped BMW, and have NOT already reported it to the NHSTA, I urge you do it now.

You will need your VIN, (est.) date of failure and mileage. State your model as well. While they should be able to identify from VIN, their data was wrong 50% of the time. Specify if gear oil leaked.

www.safercar.gov

or call (888) 327-4236

or mail to:
NHSTA
Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210)
West Building
1200 New Jersey Ave SE
Washington DC 20590

In your complaint, select “Power Train” as the component and reference that you have had the same failure as described in ODI No. 10439549, and currently being investigated under Campaign DP12001.

Send an email to your Congressman and US Senator to follow up on your behalf as well.

Chris Cimino
Edmonds WA

(Before anyone starts flaming, I am NOT an attorney, I am NOT suing anyone. No, I don't frequent this website which I know somehow lessens my "credibility" as an LT owner.)

Last edited by ccimino; Feb 3rd, 2012 at 11:06 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:03 am

Re: NHSTA Opens Investigation into Final Drive Failures

Does this mean we're all getting new K1600GTL's as a replacement?

Seriously - that's amazing news.... good work being the "boots on the ground", motivating them to open an actual investigation and being the first to report it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:55 pm.
post #3 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

NHSTA search is a little convoluted but here is the text of the complaint, and WEB page for review. Congratulation to Chris for being able to get this going.

By letter dated 11-28-2011, Christopher D. Cimino of Edmunds, WA, requested that NHTSA "open an investigation into the repeated final drive bearing failure and possibly flawed assembly controls of the final drive unit on BMW K1200LT models..." NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is opening this investigation to examine Mr. Cimino's allegations and determine whether a safety-related defect trend currently exists involving final drive crown gear ball-bearing assembly failures on the subject motorcycles. The ODI report cited above can be reviewed at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints under the following identification (ODI) number: 10439549

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 1:12 pm

Very interesting, maybe they'll tell BMW to stop making the LT.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 2:21 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

CLICK HERE Then just enter the bike info
1999-2005
BMW
K1200LT

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

My hope is to have NHSTA require BMW recall on all models equipped with the Paralever final drive due to a design, manufacturing or assembly flaw. This may require BMW dealers to inspect units and reassemble, repair or replace affected units, affording an additional 24 month warranty period. It is likely that a recall may only apply to models 10 years old or less, unless NHSTA finds compelling evidence that BMW has been aware of the defect for a long time and not acted in good faith to remedy. The 10 year limit may explain why BMW has officially kept quiet on the topic, hoping to let the clock run out on the greater exposure to models from 1999-2003. If capped at 10 years, most of us (including me) may be out of options, period. I have no idea how a recall might effect any individual owner's claims for monetary reimbursement for prior repairs, although I would suspect that such claims (or that of a class action) could be bolstered by a recall. But, I have no delusions of ever getting reimbursed for the cost of my two final drives repaired out of warranty. Again, no need to flame again about the perils or wastes of legal action.

Personally, I think BMW owners should flood the NHSTA with targeted complaints, referencing Investigation No. (DP 12-001) and the ODI complaint No. (10439549). Robert Young is the Investigator assigned. Bruce York is the assigned Reviewer. Both report to Frank Borris, the Director of Defects Investigation.

Chris Cimino
post #7 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Excellent work, Chris.

I know my three LT failures are already in the NHTSA database, but I'll make sure they are up-to-date and that they reference the current campaign reference numbers.

I'll also make sure my two GT failures are in as well, just to cover those bases.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:02 pm

the question I have is what took them so long to investigate?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Excellent work, Chris.

I know my three LT failures are already in the NHTSA database, but I'll make sure they are up-to-date and that they reference the current campaign reference numbers.

I'll also make sure my two GT failures are in as well, just to cover those bases.

Geeze.

You DO know you're supposed to have oil in those things, right?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
the question I have is what took them so long to investigate?
Yeah, we've been all over that question for a decade now . . .

The bottom line is that NHTSA stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They simply don't care if your vehicle is likely to break down. They do care if your vehicle exhibits a known defect that can significantly increase the risk of a crash.

So saying "my trunk latch broke" doesn't register with them, even though we know it's a known problem with the LT. But saying "my final drive seal went out and dumped oil all over my rear brakes" or "my final drive bearing failed making the rear wheel loose and unstable" does register as a critical safety defect.

The main difference here is that Chris was able to highlight the safety aspect of these failures, and he was able to bring additional pressure to bear through his local congressman who has a vested interest in traffic safety issues.

And now we have not only a specific ODI # and Campaign # to register these failures under, but we also have specific names of NHTSA officials to contact in order to highlight just how pervasive of a problem this is.

Again, good on Chris for pulling all this together.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
You DO know you're supposed to have oil in those things, right?
I figure I just put too many miles on them . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

General disorganization of data, I guess. the complaints were spread over 18 different component categories, with numerous model classification input errors. They would have the VIN for an LT, but identify the model as F650 or M3! No way an algorythm looking for a pattern would have picked it up. I just went through every (every) complaint filed for anything BMW (m/c or car) for models since 1996 and built a data base of complaints filed, component identified, model (by complaint data and by VIN) and essentially drew them a road map of what they had already received.
post #13 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

By the way, the complaints made for interesting reading. One LT owner filed a complaint claiming the LT was unsafe because it was susceptible to crosswinds (duh!). My favorite was the rider who complained that since the LT has reverse, it should have backup lights!
post #14 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccimino
. My favorite was the rider who complained that since the LT has reverse, it should have backup lights!
and then go Beeep-Beeep-Beeep!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 77 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
and then go Beeep-Beeep-Beeep!!!
Ummmm, guilty as charged.

BMW Light Truck back up alarm - YouTube

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 77 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:57 am

Quote:
The bottom line is that NHTSA stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Bingo. While I realize that having oil leak out onto the rear tire or brake sounds like a safety concern, the proof's in the pudding. I have yet to hear of one, single incident or accident relating to the final drive issue. Anyone else?

- Joe
post #17 of 77 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 1:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Would you rather someone actually die before anyone takes notice? Would that help?

Or have you forgotten about our Portugese friend that put his LT down in a corner and ended up in the hospital for a couple of weeks? There was definite oil on his rear wheel and tire, but when he eventually got out of the hospital and found his bike at the local dealer, the rear wheel was mysteriously clean - too clean, in fact.

And I also remember a story about a couple that went down in the US and suffered serious injuries on a bike with a failed rear drive. Do they not count just because you didn't see it in person?

So yes, it can happen.

And that's the whole point of the NHTSA - not to sit back and wait until death and mayhem occur, but to act on potentially serious safety hazards and force the manufacturers to step up and solve the problems for all affected vehicles - whether or not that particular vehicle has had an injury accident or not.

The bottom line is that gear oil on the brakes is very bad, and gear oil on the rear tire is very bad, and in typical NHTSA parlance, both conditions "could cause a significant loss of braking ability and/or traction, thus significantly increasing the risk of a crash."

That's the real problem here, and that's what the NHTSA has the power to do something about.

Hell, you're not even riding a BMW anymore, so why do you even care?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 77 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Talking Re: NHSTA Opens Investigation into Final Drive Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Bingo. While I realize that having oil leak out onto the rear tire or brake sounds like a safety concern, the proof's in the pudding. I have yet to hear of one, single incident or accident relating to the final drive issue. Anyone else?
I haven't.
I guess you could say, that the noise that comes with the FD failure, that it makes us slow down and even stop BEFORE an accident happens.
So thus it's NOT a safety issue.
I refiled again anyway for my 2 failures using a link above.
I don't expect any real satisfaction from NHSTA.
I just think BMW should admit that they may have goofed on some assemblies of the FD. At least I'd feel a little better. LOL

I even took my FD failure out of my sig line here.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #19 of 77 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Amazing work Chris!!!

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #20 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
....that the noise that comes with the FD failure, that it makes us slow down and even stop BEFORE an accident happens.
So thus it's NOT a safety issue.......I don't expect any real satisfaction from NHSTA.....
That we haven't heard of anyone having an accident that was directly attributed to a FD failure MAYBE an indication that no one has been hurt as a result of this problem, but it is wrong to conclude that it is not a safety issue. While most riders do sense a problem before catastropic oil leak onto the rear brake and tire, but others do not; I know of several cases where there was oil on the wheel before the rider first became aware of the problem. People have been injured riding K1200LTs, we just haven't heard of an injury that was directly attributed to a FD failure; you can't conclude that it hasn't happened.

It is just a matter of luck as to when that oil leak occurs. Imagine oil reaching your rear tire just at the apex of a turn or just at the moment of a panic stop. The ABS would certainly help with stability in the case of a panic stop, but stopping distance would be reduced increasing the risk of collision. In the case of oil reaching the tire at the apex of a turn, I can imagine a low-side crash happening very unexpectedly.

I agree that the prospects of any real redress coming from NTSA or BMW to those who have experienced failures in the past is low, but at least finally NTSA is aware that there is a problem.
post #21 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 11:06 am Thread Starter

According to the NHTSA database, 3 owners reported the component failure resulted in a crash, with 5 injuries. (I am currently researching lawsuits brought against BMW to see if any were related to FD failure, but it's slow going.) 46 of the 145 NHTSA complaints filed referenced gear oil on wheel. 13 of these were misclassified under brake component failure as the complaints referenced loss of braking. Thankfully, we don't have to actually prove the risk of crash from oil leaking on the wheel as BMW recalled (2006) R1200GS-HP and (2007) R1200S models in 2006 due to an improperly installed o-ring in the final drive unit that could result in oil leaking to the rear brake disc. That recall campaign reportedly affected less than 720 units total. But, it established precedent as to the risk associated with the gear lube leakage.

Chris Cimino
post #22 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:

Quote:
Would you rather someone actually die before anyone takes notice? Would that help?

Or have you forgotten about our Portugese friend that put his LT down in a corner and ended up in the hospital for a couple of weeks? There was definite oil on his rear wheel and tire, but when he eventually got out of the hospital and found his bike at the local dealer, the rear wheel was mysteriously clean - too clean, in fact.

And I also remember a story about a couple that went down in the US and suffered serious injuries on a bike with a failed rear drive. Do they not count just because you didn't see it in person?

So yes, it can happen.

[snip]
Wow Ken. Maybe you missed those last two words of my post. I simply asked if anyone has ever heard of an accident due to a failure. Doesn't that OBVIOUSLY imply that I have not.

Are things stressful at home ... work ... or do you just need a hug? DAG!

- Joe
post #23 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 12:06 pm

It seems like a couple of years ago there was a post from a couple who went down due to catastrophic final drive failure and it was posted on this site.........I've looked through the archives and haven't found it but I do believe it would support what Ken was alluding to.

This is hardly substantiated by my foggy memory but my computer has crashed since then and that may have some bearing on the account...........just saying...................

$00.02........

I am curious if it can be found........?..........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #24 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
It seems like a couple of years ago there was a post from a couple who went down due to catastrophic final drive failure and it was posted on this site.........I've looked through the archives and haven't found it but I do believe it would support what Ken was alluding to.

This is hardly substantiated by my foggy memory but my computer has crashed since then and that may have some bearing on the account...........just saying...................

$00.02........

I am curious if it can be found........?..........
Prolly Jim and Judy Schuyler. Post is here.
post #25 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 3:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I know of several cases where there was oil on the wheel before the rider first became aware of the problem.
And that is exactly the type of safety concern that gets the NHTSA interested in such a problem.

Quote:
People have been injured riding K1200LTs, we just haven't heard of an injury that was directly attributed to a FD failure; you can't conclude that it hasn't happened.
But we do have two direct cases where serious injuries were sustained as a result of FD failure: Jim and Judy Schuyler (Jim_Schuyler) in September 2008 on an '00 LT out of NY, and Filipe Ferreira (cyberphysicist) in June 2003 on an '02 LT out of Portugal.

Quote:
It is just a matter of luck as to when that oil leak occurs. Imagine oil reaching your rear tire just at the apex of a turn or just at the moment of a panic stop.
And that describes Filipe's scenario exactly, based on what I remember about his original post from the old site.

Quote:
I agree that the prospects of any real redress coming from NHTSA or BMW to those who have experienced failures in the past is low, but at least finally NHTSA is aware that there is a problem.
And that in itself is a huge step forward . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #26 of 77 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I simply asked if anyone has ever heard of an accident due to a failure.
And I gave you two direct cases, both of which have been confirmed by other posters here. C'mon, Joe, you've been around here and the old site long enough to have known about those. Unless you simply forgot. Don't they say that memory is the second thing to go . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 77 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Prolly Jim and Judy Schuyler. Post is here.
Dick, are you a librarian?? Your search skills are epic!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #28 of 77 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
Dick, are you a librarian?? Your search skills are epic!
It's a curse, I tell ya!!

Short term memory is shot, butt long term is hangin' in there!!!
post #29 of 77 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Based on what I could decipher from their website, 15 more BMW owners have registered complaints with the NHTSA citing final drive failures (as of 2/8). 7 were LTs. I've also talked to the investigator assigned. He is an avid rider and MSF coach. He also tempered expectations to say it may be 4 months before the investigation is completed. But, hey we've been dealing with the issue for over 10 years. So, what's another season? In the meantime, if you haven't registered your complaint with NHTSA, please do so now.

You will need your VIN, (est.) date of failure and mileage. State your model as well. Specify if gear oil leaked.

www.safercar.gov. or call (888) 327-4236

or mail to:
NHSTA
Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210)
West Building
1200 New Jersey Ave SE
Washington DC 20590

Be sure to select “Power Train” as the component and reference that you have had the same failure as described in ODI No. 10439549, and currently being investigated under Campaign DP12001.

Please forward to every website, chatroom or bathroom wall you can think of.

Chris Cimino
post #30 of 77 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:39 am

AWESOME job, Chris. Goodonya.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #31 of 77 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Quote:
If capped at 10 years, most of us (including me) may be out of options, period.
Well, thankfully we'll have the NHSTA tell us what we already knew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roflbot.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	34505  
post #32 of 77 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'm afraid that you've got it backwards there.

It's about us telling the NHTSA what we already know - that there is a design/manufacturing issue with the final drives that could lead to a potentially catastrophic failure and needs to be addressed.

We as individuals have had little luck in getting this addressed on a global basis, although BMW has stepped up in many individual cases, but not all.

The NHTSA has the power to force BMW to address the issues on all potentially affected units based on safety considerations, all the way back to the beginning of the issue.

That's what's different here, and that's why this is an opportunity for some real change.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #33 of 77 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Quote:
The NHTSA has the power to force BMW to address the issues on all potentially affected units based on safety considerations, all the way back to the beginning of the issue.

That's what's different here, and that's why this is an opportunity for some real change.
Chris doesn't sound quite as optimistic as you.

Quote:
The 10 year limit may explain why BMW has officially kept quiet on the topic, hoping to let the clock run out on the greater exposure to models from 1999-2003. If capped at 10 years, most of us (including me) may be out of options, period. I have no idea how a recall might effect any individual owner's claims for monetary reimbursement for prior repairs, although I would suspect that such claims (or that of a class action) could be bolstered by a recall. But, I have no delusions of ever getting reimbursed for the cost of my two final drives repaired out of warranty.
post #34 of 77 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 2:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
Chris doesn't sound quite as optimistic as you.
Nothing is guaranteed here at all, but at least this is a positive step forward.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #35 of 77 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Nothing is guaranteed here at all, but at least this is a positive step forward.
+1

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #36 of 77 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 1:05 am Thread Starter

I am optimistic that an investigation will surface what BMW knows about the issue, warts and all. All I want is for the manufacturer to definitively say "here's the problem, and here's how to definitively fix it." I believe thousands of owners have logged tens of thousands of miles with no adverse FD issues, except maybe just the arrogance that because they haven't been affected, the problem must not be real. Why the difference? Is there a rider wear pattern? Frequent 2 up and loaded? Aggressive? Too much gravel? Too much oil? Wrong oil? Or, is it just units built by Heir Billy Bob on Fridays, like a 1970's Buick? Just frickin tell us, whatever that is. Hell, we'll probably pay it just so we can regain confidence in reliability. I absolutely love my LT. Since riding one in the '99 Iron Butt Rally, I believe it to be the absolute best 2 up high speed, GT touring bike on the planet for me and my wife. (No, I don't care to debate with you. That's like arguing which is better, blondes, brunettes or reds. Really??) And, absolutely hate the idea of having to buy a Wing. I have too much invested in BMW T-shirts to change marques now.

All of the knowledge and expertise we have collectively developed on the issue is great. But, no one knows how long it takes to go from "flakes in the oil" to "stranded on side of road" failure, in the dark, in the rain, on US 50 100 miles from Fallon NV. I am not some prissy, whiny Beemer bitch who gives a crap about "BMW prestige" or bought because the Kool Aid tasted good. I ride the damn thing, maintain it and (try) to keep it clean. And, if I can scrape together 7 days in a row to make the IBA Pizza Party in Daytona, I don't want to have to wonder if I'll make it or drop another $500 in repairs. That's 6300 miles in gas money!
post #37 of 77 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 3:32 pm

NHSTA hits BMW with a 3M$ fine

Not specific to our issue, but does speak to the BMW "culture" I think.

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/cars-news/2012/02/13/bmw/7033/nhtsa_drops_a_$3_million_dollar_fine_on_bmw_for_un timely_reporting_of_recalls.html

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #38 of 77 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:00 pm

Ok, so I bought my 2002 1200LT used 2 years ago. How would I know if I have the Paralever style final drive? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but it's the first I've heard of it.
post #39 of 77 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:31 pm

Re: NHSTA hits BMW with a 3M$ fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing
Not specific to our issue, but does speak to the BMW "culture" I think.

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/cars-news/2012/02/13/bmw/7033/nhtsa_drops_a_$3_million_dollar_fine_on_bmw_for_un timely_reporting_of_recalls.html
I presume you mean the BMW Corporate culture, not BMW owner culture? That is what I got from reading the article you referenced.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #40 of 77 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:21 pm

Re: NHSTA hits BMW with a 3M$ fine

Correct. BMW Corporate culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I presume you mean the BMW Corporate culture, not BMW owner culture? That is what I got from reading the article you referenced.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #41 of 77 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by facscc
Ok, so I bought my 2002 1200LT used 2 years ago. How would I know if I have the Paralever style final drive? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but it's the first I've heard of it.
All LT s have the same type rear drive. But don't worry too much about a rear drive failure. You are in the most affected window of time but it depends on your mileage and what day of the week your final drive was assembled at the factory.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #42 of 77 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Does this mean we're all getting new K1600GTL's as a replacement?

Seriously - that's amazing news.... good work being the "boots on the ground", motivating them to open an actual investigation and being the first to report it.
Sorry, I don't agree with you.

All that suffered the failure should be getting K1600LT's, or K1800LT's. GTL is not enough to cover the pain.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #43 of 77 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 7:52 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
Sorry, I don't agree with you.

All that suffered the failure should be getting K1600LT's, or K1800LT's. GTL is not enough to cover the pain.

BJ
How about a dealershipt less than 2 hours away? I'd be happy with that!

Great job, Chris, for getting this ball a-rollin'!

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #44 of 77 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 2:01 pm

Anybody hear of any updates on this matter?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #45 of 77 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Garage

Just added mine. Riding around with a 2006 final drive on my 2003 now.
post #46 of 77 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:02 am Thread Starter

I have been staying in touch with the NHSTA investigator assigned to the matter. As of 7/6, he estimated another 2-3 weeks to their final report. I have marked 7/31 to follow up. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure the new round of debate will start.

Chris Cimino
post #47 of 77 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 3:54 am

Quote:
I have been staying in touch with the NHSTA investigator assigned to the matter. As of 7/6, he estimated another 2-3 weeks to their final report. I have marked 7/31 to follow up. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure the new round of debate will start.

Chris Cimino
Chris,
It has been three weeks since your last posted follow-up date. Anything new to share?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #48 of 77 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 3:38 pm

I am new to the BMW1200 community...I have a 2003.....How might I know if I have the Paralever style final drive? Thanks
post #49 of 77 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 3:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito
I am new to the BMW1200 community...I have a 2003.....How might I know if I have the Paralever style final drive? Thanks
Looks like a K1200Lt in your photo, all Lt's have that final drive.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #50 of 77 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 5:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Randy,

Yours is on the outter edge of the common failure years. Not saying it won't but chances are good you will be alright. You can always come back over (riding this time) and we can do a pre-emptive rebuild or just do a preload check.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in