What I have since found out - New LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Smile What I have since found out - New LT owner

I have completed my first 1000 miles this week.

* R Brakes do infact squeek no matter how I maximize stopping to DeGlaze them.
I Will try the piece of cereal box paper behind pad trick read about here earlier.

*Turning radius is much larger than I am accustomed to. Side to side HB movement is less than "Normal" bike.

Trying to whip a U-Turn on narrow road will put you in the Ditch!
Ask me how I know!! :^) Did not drop it but found myself in deep sand
sliding sideways instead of moving forward for a few moments.
Eventually rode it out! *Whew! Learned lesson there.

*Unreal braking ability!! Stop means STOP! Coming from standard brakes there is not alot of feel in them yet to me. It is either on or off.
Went to parking lot to practice & develop skill/coordination.

Did alot of figure 8's and found that I favor turning left versus right?
Not slipping the clutch during this exercise is darn near impossible.
I have read that slipping the clutch is not a good idea on this bike so I am cognizant of that fact. Only ridng off from a stop is when some slipping takes place... Don't know how to get around that part.

Now actively looking for extras like headlight Guards and Service Manual !

I love this big bike!! Gotta go renew my BMWOA membership.
I started with BMW back in the R/75 days and my number is only in the low 5 digits!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 3:04 pm

She's fun, ain't she <g>.

The U-turn and other low-speed stuff will imporove with practice and experience. End of last summer, I'd gotten to where I can *almost* turn around in the alley behind the office. Need only couple feet wider and done. 2 parking spots side by side - done. But, it did take a copule 'set downs' and lots o practice to get there. I'm think'n this spring's efforts won't be quite that tight initialy, but should come back fast.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 3:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog

I have read that slipping the clutch is not a good idea on this bike so I am cognizant of that fact. Only ridng off from a stop is when some slipping takes place... Don't know how to get around that part.
She will do the "U" on a narrow road but the key is drag the rear brake slip the clutch and (most important) look where you want to end up - not where you are going. Practice will improve this.

Slipping the clutch is OK for practice and slow maneuvers - just don't make a habit of high rev's while doing so.

Welcome to the wonderful world of LT ownership.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 4:11 pm

New owner also at 1000 miles.

Hey usmctpdog, good report. I'm with you on the U-turn. I didn't go into a ditch, but I did sideswipe a curb and scraped a bit off my center stand. YIKES!!!! I really thought I could make the turn, but the big ole girl just wouldn't quite come around like I thought.

How are you doing with the throttle and clutch as you accelerate? I've noticed that the higher the revs, the better it shifts. The more conservatively I drive, the more awkward the shifts become??? The opposite of my low end torqued cruisers. Also, my gas mileage seems to be better when I drive more aggressively? What's up with that! Not that I bought the LT for it's fuel economy, but it's cool to know that I can drive in a fun way and not have it kill me at the pump!!!

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
post #5 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the report. It validates some of the things I first found out about the LT, and some of the things I still experience (like that big turning radius; haven't figured out how to decrease that -- YET).

If you're looking for a replacement windshield for your LT, Cee Bailey offers a 20% discount on their headlight guards if you order them at the same time as your windshield. Just placed my order a few days ago.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 5:08 pm

You won't break the headlight on your 05 like on the earlier models....

Its a different material..So that will save you a few buck.........Regards Pete
post #7 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Hey Mike,

I can certainly appreciate what you've gone through in the last few days. I spent all of last summer doing all of the same things as you did. My season culminated in a lady driving right across my path in the grocery store parking lot. I hit the binders real hard at 2 m.p.h. and she went down slowly to the left side. Good thing is, the bike rested on the engine guard without a scratch.

At least you can go for a ride now. Still too cold here, with the occasional snow flurry. Just got back from Daytona where I put on about six hundred miles on the Ducati in five days. I just had to get that out of my system. I should be good for another month.

Take care and safe riding.

Martin
'03 Anthracite K1200 LT
'02 Blue R1150 RT
BMW MOA #44043
post #8 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 6:22 pm

One of the tricks of the trade passed on to me by a BMW LEO is do your low speed maneuvering at idle speed and apply a bit of brake to slow down (obviously don't stall the engine). While idle speed gets you around 7 mph, a bit fast, a hearty lean will help you in the tight-turns and bleed off speed.

Welcome! Nice post!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #9 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Cool

Regarding higher revs and better shifting - I was way too timid when my LT was new until I asked a question at a rally tech session about hard shifting. A rider approached me after the session and told me to RPO. When I asked what that was he told me, "Rev the Piss Out of it." I have't had a problem since.
post #10 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Like someone else mentioned, the most important part is to look where you want to go not down toward the ground. If you keep doing this and don't be afraid to lean her over. Good Luck.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #11 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
* R Brakes do infact squeek no matter how I maximize stopping to DeGlaze them. I Will try the piece of cereal box paper behind pad trick read about here earlier.
Forget the goofy "cereal box" trick. It's useless. Go to EBC Organic (not sintered) brake pads. It'll solve your squeal problem.
post #12 of 26 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:59 am Thread Starter

Smile

Well, *Thanks for all the encouragement and information gentleman.
Obviously you have all been personally challenged as I am now by this magnificient Machine. I have owned lots of bikes previously but took on the LT as my last great rite of passage in my 30+ years of daily motorcycle riding.

I hope to glean lots of knowledge in the coming year about my LT thru this board and riding experience and like many of you, mentor the LT riders yet to come behind us fostering a great sense of comraderie. . . .

I am sure I will meet many of you on the road soon...

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #13 of 26 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Quote:

Don't worry about it, slipping the clutch is a requirement for low speed manuvering, especially with this monster. It can take it.
Just out of curiosity, you right or left handed? I've wondered if there was a relation to that and riders preferences on u-turns.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #14 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:08 am

Quote:

* R Brakes do infact squeek no matter how I maximize stopping to DeGlaze them.
I Will try the piece of cereal box paper behind pad trick read about here earlier.

*Turning radius is much larger than I am accustomed to. Side to side HB movement is less than "Normal" bike.

*Unreal braking ability!! Stop means STOP! Coming from standard brakes there is not alot of feel in them yet to me. It is either on or off.

Now actively looking for extras like headlight Guards and Service Manual !

I love this big bike!! Gotta go renew my BMWOA membership.
I started with BMW back in the R/75 days and my number is only in the low 5 digits!
Great post Top! You are ahead of me in the Lessons Learned department. I only have 440 miles on my 06 K12LT. Challenging part is waiting until afternoon for the ice to melt on the roadways then head south towards Spokane and lower elevations. I'm about 1400 feet above the Spokane valley.

Lessons Learned:

- Yes, top heavy at low speeds
- Great brakes, be careful with a passenger...she may want to help you read the intramentation devices
- All five of the owners manuals provide information overload for this new owner
- Right handgrip produces a moderate vibration causing periodic hand "Go To Sleep Syndrom"
- Comfort heated heat helps warm the titanium plate surrounding my astabular orbit (hip socket)
- Sound system is superb - even I can enjoy (hearing degradation from jumping out of too many helicopters and fixed wings)
- Horses do not like the sound made by the exhaust system - the LT is worthless when used while trying to coral neighbors horses
- The bike causes one to view local weather reports in detail
- This "K" is not like my 86 K100 RT
- Anxiously awaiting better weather here in Spokane WA

v/r

AL Bobst
post #15 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Cool

300 mile Sunday ride today with my S/O aboard as passenger for the first time. Headed out with friends to the Palouse Falls that included 4 miles of Gravel Road! Grrrrr.... not comfy on deep & loose gravel but doable!!

*** I learned that I can control the front brakes much better with only 2 fingers than my whole hand (4 fingers) squeezing back... *These brakes mean business and It is way too easy to stop short with a whole handfull of brakes!

I also learned that my BC is off a considerable amount when calulating fuel milage and temperture!!! It said I was getting 49 MPG when actually it was 45.55 measured to fuel filled back into the tank and trip meter milage.

Anyone else have their BC misreading or is that the norm?

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #16 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:43 am

yeah!!

Congrats! PM sent... keep riding!

REset your MPG once you refil the tank... if you haven't... the mpg will be "average" across the tanks... and I've found mine to be pretty close... once you figure out the mileage doesn't match what you ACTUALLY travel... check the GPS for more accurate distance.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; Mar 20th, 2006 at 12:49 am.
post #17 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 6:27 am

Quote:
- The bike causes one to view local weather reports in detail
So True!!!!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #18 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:24 am Thread Starter

I do reset the BC mileage and trip meter each and every fill up, but I have not check it against the GPS. I will against the GPS milage next time! Thanks!

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #19 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:27 am

Quote:
300 mile Sunday ride today with my S/O aboard as passenger for the first time. Headed out with friends to the Palouse Falls that included 4 miles of Gravel Road! Grrrrr.... not comfy on deep & loose gravel but doable!!

*** I learned that I can control the front brakes much better with only 2 fingers than my whole hand (4 fingers) squeezing back... *These brakes mean business and It is way too easy to stop short with a whole handfull of brakes!

I also learned that my BC is off a considerable amount when calulating fuel milage and temperture!!! It said I was getting 49 MPG when actually it was 45.55 measured to fuel filled back into the tank and trip meter milage.

Anyone else have their BC misreading or is that the norm?
There is a calibration procedure in the HOW, under "radio and accessories", item 3. You do just as you did, calculate the real MPG, and use a formula to determine the calibration number from the current reading on the BC, then modify the setting.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #20 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Dave but I can't seem to find it in the Hall of Wisdom?

I did find a procedure thru the "Make it fit you" speedo calibration by Paul Ford tho! Is this the same procedure?

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #21 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

David,

The 05 BC has no calibration as there is only one BC button. Press and release to cycle and press and hold to reset. Its a different critter.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #22 of 26 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Darn it, I was so looking to make it accurate!!!

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #23 of 26 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Cool

I Now have almost 3000 miles on it in just a few weeks and the more I ride it the smaller it is feeling.

I remember after getting off the HD bagger and onto the Goldwing, that made the HD look and feel like a toy! Now the Goldwing makes my BMW feel small..

I did another 240 miles today to Coolie Dam in some fairly windy weather. Gas was $2.87 gal for premium but I was getting 49 mpg so I cant complain too much for all this fun...

Hi I'm Nathan, I'm a gas-a-holic.......

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #24 of 26 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 8:27 pm

Don't use any cardboard, metal shims, grease or anything else. Just chnage out your rear pads to EBC pads and all will be quiet. 15 minute job if you go slow!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #25 of 26 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:28 am

The BC on my 05' was off also. The factory came out with a fix for this and after that it was right on with the GPS. My speed is off 3mph from the GPS but the odo is correct to the tenth and when I reset the BC for ave speed when moving it is the same as the GPS at a constant speed.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #26 of 26 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:05 am

RE: Turning radius, Fast Stops & Slow Starts

Quote:

I had the same feeling (coming from an R1100RT). I took the advanced rider MSF course from http://www.motorcyclelearning.com in Chicago in my first months with an LT. A couple of things came from that:
  • slow speed turning - I'd complain about being to "lock" on the handlebars; just had to learn to LEAN IT OVER MORE at slow speed (and sit on the side of the saddle as needed). Scary at first, but now that's just part of the charm of the bike - will do amazing things when handled right!
  • small box figure eights - I remember saying it was impossible to stay in the box, even leaned "way" over. The instructor (over, and over and over again) encouraged me to keep the revs up a bit, lean WAY over (almost sitting on the side of the bike). I'd complain "it's going to freaking fall over" - but no, just feather the clutch, use the power to keep it up and learn to trust it... it took some to get there (it IS scary sitting basically on the side of the K and watching it actually make it in the box while flicking the handlebar to opposite lock, and shifting your butt to the other side of the bike... works though
  • emergency stopping - The LT was AMAZING in emergency stop situations... I'd get stopped WAY shorter than they had the cones setup from 20MPH without even trying... I asked to instructor if I could do it from 30 (no prob.); Then I explained I'm an engineer, and want to see what the ABS software does if I do it "all wrong" - no gradual gentle application - just slam on, see if I get chatter. He WARNED me that the downward forces I would generate would be significant, and would want to force the bike to fall over. I had to be VERY conscious to have it absolutely straight up (which I now watch carefully on the road - spot the horizon in panic stops). It really did want to go down (but I got my feeet down soon enough) 30-0 in what? maybe 5 feet? I dunno, but it was scary/impressive, and significant fight to keep up that last instant once it stopped. This no longer surprises me.
  • slow startup - in the first months I had my LT, I dropped it on the street once, and am stubborn on this riding pattern now. I was behind a ? realtor at a red light. Old, crowned road, 2 lanes each way, I was on the outside lane. Realtor started up at green, and then suddenly stopped. I started from both feet on the ground, and at < 5MPH had to suddenly stop w/ just the front brake (feet were just coming up). Crowned old road, wavey at the intersection, and she started leaning to the side where my footing was too low to do anything but help ease her down. I now NEVER GET UNDER WAY without my right foot over the rear brake. This has saved me numerous times since, so I keep it up. This has also caused me to balance it better stopped (I tend to just keep my right foot up, wind notwithstanding), which helps me feel how upright it is coming to a stop too (see previous bullet).

I'm a big fan of MSF advanced rider course.

Last edited by yaklt; Apr 3rd, 2006 at 2:18 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in