Originally Posted by usmctpdog
I have completed my first 1000 miles this week.
* R Brakes do infact squeek no matter how I maximize stopping to DeGlaze them.
I Will try the piece of cereal box paper behind pad trick read about here earlier.
*Turning radius is much larger than I am accustomed to. Side to side HB movement is less than "Normal" bike.
Trying to whip a U-Turn on narrow road will put you in the Ditch!
Ask me how I know!! :^) Did not drop it but found myself in deep sand
sliding sideways instead of moving forward for a few moments.
Eventually rode it out! *Whew! Learned lesson there.
*Unreal braking ability!! Stop means STOP! Coming from standard brakes there is not alot of feel in them yet to me. It is either on or off.
Went to parking lot to practice & develop skill/coordination.
Did alot of figure 8's and found that I favor turning left versus right?
Not slipping the clutch during this exercise is darn near impossible.
I have read that slipping the clutch is not a good idea on this bike so I am cognizant of that fact. Only ridng off from a stop is when some slipping takes place... Don't know how to get around that part.
Now actively looking for extras like headlight Guards and Service Manual !
I love this big bike!! Gotta go renew my BMWOA membership.
I started with BMW back in the R/75 days and my number is only in the low 5 digits!
Great post Top! You are ahead of me in the Lessons Learned department. I only have 440 miles on my 06 K12LT. Challenging part is waiting until afternoon for the ice to melt on the roadways then head south towards Spokane and lower elevations. I'm about 1400 feet above the Spokane valley.
- Yes, top heavy at low speeds
- Great brakes, be careful with a passenger...she may want to help you read the intramentation devices
- All five of the owners manuals provide information overload for this new owner
- Right handgrip produces a moderate vibration causing periodic hand "Go To Sleep Syndrom"
- Comfort heated heat helps warm the titanium plate surrounding my astabular orbit (hip socket)
- Sound system is superb - even I can enjoy (hearing degradation from jumping out of too many helicopters and fixed wings)
- Horses do not like the sound made by the exhaust system - the LT is worthless when used while trying to coral neighbors horses
- The bike causes one to view local weather reports in detail
- This "K" is not like my 86 K100 RT
- Anxiously awaiting better weather here in Spokane WA