Muth mirrors report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Muth mirrors report

Hi all,
I thought I would report to the BMW group what I thought of the Muth turn signals. I just bought and installed Muth turn signal mirrors for my Lt. I was really impressed with the quality and ease of installation. I did have a little problem getting the old mirrors off but after understanding how they were attached all went quickly. The wiring is done by just slips the mirror wires on the front turn signal. I like the new mirrors because they are more like my car mirrors. Objects are closer then what they appear. Car people can see the turn signal easier and I am quit happy to pay the price for the Muth mirrors. I have been trying to not change the looks of the bike with cheap looking add on. Muth customer support was great and I highly recommend Muth mirrors to everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:25 pm

If your mirrors aren't tethered...do so IMMEDIATELY. The mirrors are expensive enough without adding the cost of replacing the Muths. Food for thought.
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Is there any chance of a pickie of the end result?
ta Craig

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:13 am

Cool

You can see an animated pic of the Muth Mirrors as well as linking to their Motorcycles page here:
http://www.kwmuth.com/

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:01 pm

I just bought a bike with a pair of Muths. What causes them to come off? If I remove them and find there are no tethers can the tethers be purchased or does one just make them?

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:51 pm

There's a few online BMW dealers that sell them. Most of us make our own. I used coated 1/8" braided cable...very strong. Others use just zip ties. Make sure they are heavy duty black (UV protected) zip ties, if you go that route. Others use fishing string (leaders?). Just use something. Sooner or later, you'll hit a bump, a pothole, or something and one of the mirrors will fall.

Cycle Gadgets sells tethers pre-made. Scroll to the bottom of that link
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:17 pm

thanks!!

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn
post #8 of 21 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Lynn,
Just to clarify, it's not the Muth Mirrors that come lose. It's the entire original mirror. It's designed to pop off and sometimes does that at less than convienient times. The tether goes between the bike and the mirror to keep the mirror from flying down the road.
post #9 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 2:51 am

I can vouch for the need for the tethers....I've hit bumps on these crappy Michigan roads (I-75 especially) that have knocked mirrors off my bike 3 times.....and the nylon zip ties saved the mirror each time without so much as putting a scratch in the paint of the bike or the mirror. Do it TODAY!

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:56 am

Nylon Zip Ties ! CAUTION

CAUTION: Might want to think about replacing the ZIP TIES with something a little more rugged. Over time and with heat, they tend to loose their their strength. Fishing line (steel) leaders work well and will not break under normal conditions.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 21 Old May 21st, 2006, 6:48 pm

Muth Mirrors & Brakes...

BTW - I put on Muth's before STC-II, and liked them. When I got back, I had the brake module put on which lights up the muths with the brakes (and "offs" the lights on turn signals then)... really like it for driving in Chicago...

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #12 of 21 Old May 21st, 2006, 8:37 pm

When I first got mine I didn't know about the mirrors. Fortunately I took my bike to Cliff's BMW for the 600 mile. The service tech there rode an LT himself and without my asking put the tethers on during the service no charge.
I week or so later I was cruising though Hartford during rush hour with my SO on the back and was squeezed by a car trying to get to the off ramp in time, he pushed me toward the shoulder where I promptly hit a pot hole, bottomed the fork and BOTH mirrors popped right off! (I'm actually surprised the fairing mounts didn't crack with that kind of response to the hit) After the initial shock I noticed they were just hanging there swinging in the wind.
I pulled off and popped them back on and off we went.
Aside from the cost of the mirrors, can you imagine the mess that would have caused at rush hour?! I probably would have caused a bunch of accidents and probably would have been sued for the damages.
Needless to say I PROFUSELY thanked the tech the next time I was over at Cliff's.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #13 of 21 Old May 8th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Muth mirrors report

I've been contemplating the purchase of the Muth mirrors but was wondering if a vibration problem is still an issue. Some of the earlier reports indicated that the mirrors developed vibration issues over a period of time. I contacted a Muth representative (Sue) who stated she handles all warranty issues and mirror vibration has not been a problem on the LT. Anyone out there have an updated report?
post #14 of 21 Old May 8th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2Hide
I've been contemplating the purchase of the Muth mirrors but was wondering if a vibration problem is still an issue. Some of the earlier reports indicated that the mirrors developed vibration issues over a period of time. I contacted a Muth representative (Sue) who stated she handles all warranty issues and mirror vibration has not been a problem on the LT. Anyone out there have an updated report?
Do 'em - ole Toad's Muth mirrors have been in place since Muths were available - no vibration problem. Saying that, I recall there wuz a spate of mirror installs that showed some vibration, butt that wuz several years ago and Muth supplied a fix if one told 'em they had the problem. HTH.
post #15 of 21 Old May 8th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Is this a problem with all models of the LT's? can anyone post a pic of where the tethers need to go? Thanks
Soon to be 08 LT owner...
Ken
post #16 of 21 Old May 8th, 2008, 7:35 pm

I made some tethers out of insulated electrical wire and crimp connectors.

at some point, i'll do the fishing leaders.
post #17 of 21 Old May 9th, 2008, 4:46 am

I had the dealer (Gengras/Hartford) installed Muth mirrors on my 08 LT and I like the appearance. The tech told me the 08s now come from the factory with the mirror secured. That said, I still believe the location of the mirrors are impractical and frankly I am adding RS mirrors to the handgrips.
post #18 of 21 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Two Items.
1. Muth is Great! My right hand mirror fell off. Based on info in this forum, I contacted Muth and they provided me new mirrors free of charge. Yea Muth!

2. A noted above, I added RS mirrors to my LT and use them more than the OEM mirrors. Highly recommend them.
post #19 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 5:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed
I just bought a bike with a pair of Muths. What causes them to come off? If I remove them and find there are no tethers can the tethers be purchased or does one just make them?
I used a pair of stainless fishing leaders 50 lb test. they were $6.00 for 4 of them at the fishing store locally and already had the loops in them for screwing down.

Some guys here go way overboard and want to lift the bike by the tethers, even 30 lb test stainless leaders will work just fine as I was unable to even break those with my hands.

The plastic you are attached to will give way after 15 pounds of stress. I bought the bigger ones as they were longer at 16 inches long instead of the standard 12 inch long leaders you find most fish shops.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #20 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 9:37 am

Tim, You are replying to a 7-1/2 year old post.

But, I love the Muth mirrors my bike came with when I bought it!

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #21 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 9:40 am

Ahh, I did not notice that someone resurrected it.

I do need to buy Muth mirrors for this winters farkle and maintenance tasks. And honestly they are low price compared to buying replacements for many cars that have them. My Honda the one side is $225 for just the glass with the LED turn signal in it. so $189 for a pair of them is a steal.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in