Looking for LOWER brake pedal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Looking for LOWER brake pedal

Help... I just installed the footpeg lowering kit and love the new location of the pegs while riding. However, I have to lift my foot to apply the brake pedal. I know I saw a lowered brake pedal somewhere but I just can't remember where. Does anyone know where this item is available?

Thanks,
Steve Gray
'05 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:05 pm

I need the same item, the brake pedal is too high for my big foot!
post #3 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Lowered Brake Pedal

Look here
www.iliumworks.com
Really a nicely made product. Looks like a stock BMW unit with just enough drop.

post #4 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Hey Steve,

I got mine from:
http://www.iliumworks.com/

Gotta take a bit of the tupperware off but not to hard to do. Unless your wife is after you to get finished and back to the honey-do list.
post #5 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Hey Scratch,

I found the pedal and just got off the phone from ordering it. For whatever reason, it looked to me like all I have to take off is the footpedal plate to get to the footpedal.

You are saying I have to remove tupperware? That scares the #[email protected]$%% out of me. I've never removed the tupperware before. Are you sure about that?

Steve
post #6 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Jim,
how do you like it?
do you have the Brake Lever installed and the Suburban lower pegs?
Mind to tell me how high are you and insean?
I'm looking for something to better position my brakes, so maybe it will do.
Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Not knowing how much you need to lower it, try adjusting it before buying something.

If you pull the side plate, you will see two adjustments. The link between the pedal and cylinder can be adjusted to get the pedal lower, then the screw adjuster for the brake light switch will have to be re-adjusted to close the switch when the pedal is up.

You MAY be able to get enough additional down adjustment to suit. Certainly cheap enough to try!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Yep... it could do it, since I just need a little.
For the mechanic chalenged, is there any picture or step by step do adjust the pedal here?
The 'search' function return a lot info, but not some dummy proof steps, and nothign on the hall of wisdown.

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #9 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Yep... it could do it, since I just need a little.
For the mechanic chalenged, is there any picture or step by step do adjust the pedal here?
The 'search' function return a lot info, but not some dummy proof steps, and nothign on the hall of wisdown.
If you pull the side plate, you will see a clevis on the end of the master cylinder shaft, with a pin in it that attaches it to the rear end of the brake pedal. Remove the pin, loosen the locknut on the cylinder shaft, and screw the clevis onto the cylinder shaft further, re-install the pin, and lock the lock nut. Not sure how much you can get, but a little here is a lot at the brake pedal end.

Then put everything back together, loosen the locknut on the switch adjusting screw on the bottom of the pedal arm, and screw the screw in until the switch actuates, re-tighten the locknut.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 5:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Elton,

You should've mentioned it while we were all at you place last weekend. I'm sure it would've been simple enough to take care of.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Elton,

You should've mentioned it while we were all at you place last weekend. I'm sure it would've been simple enough to take care of.

If I ever knew it was possible... sure I would have mention

I will try david instructions. Looks pretty simple on the paper

THank you David and Ken.

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #12 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch
I got mine from:
http://www.iliumworks.com
I have this on order and am curious how much and what direction the foot pedal is repositioned. Does it do more than the adjustments can do? Comments?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:02 pm

I was working from memory, but just looked at ETK and realized I got something backwards.

I think you first have to screw in the brake light switch adjustment screw to lower the brake pedal (may have to get a longer screw), THEN adjust the clevis at the master cylinder so that the piston is down far enough to release the brake.

I had lowered my pedal a little bit years ago, trying to go over it in now memory. I lowered mine about 1/2", think it is possible to go more, but not sure how much before the master cylinder clevis runs out of adjustment room.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #14 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:21 am

Had Dealer lower brake pedal when I installed Suburban Pegs and it was not enough. Installed Illum Works brake pedal and now need to raise it. 34 inch inseam.

Doug Holck
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Shifter extension

While you are at it yo may want to order the shifter extension from iliumworks too. It will make shifting a lot easier since your foot pegs are now not only lower, but also more outward. Besides it only costs a few bucks and installs in seconds without tools!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

I was thinking about ordering the shifter extension, but with the lower pegs I am having to lift my foot farther than I want to to downshift. I figured the shifter extension would further raise the top of the lever which would make me have to pull my foot up even higher.
post #17 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:55 pm

You should be able to adjust your shifter to the height that is comfortable for you when shifting. You will find instruction on the HoW.
While you are there it might be a good time to lube the shift linkage or even replace it with the one from PhilJohn (from this forum) at [email protected] .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGray
I was thinking about ordering the shifter extension, but with the lower pegs I am having to lift my foot farther than I want to to downshift. I figured the shifter extension would further raise the top of the lever which would make me have to pull my foot up even higher.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #18 of 25 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGray
Help... I just installed the footpeg lowering kit and love the new location of the pegs while riding. However, I have to lift my foot to apply the brake pedal. I know I saw a lowered brake pedal somewhere but I just can't remember where. Does anyone know where this item is available?

Thanks,
Steve Gray
'05 LT

Hi Steve, watch out in tight curves with the footpeg lowering kit

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying Steve. Spent the weekend freezing at a soccer tournament. I did pull the lower section and tipover bar to get everything lose. Not too hard at all but I've done it before. You might want to get the videos if there's nobody near by who can walk you through it.

Elton. I do have the Suburban peg lowering kit/bracket. Without the Ilium lever, it felt like my old Harley. Had to pick my whole foot up to get to the lever.

Jim
post #20 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Be careful what you ask for, because you just might...

get it. The brake lever from Illum does as advertised, in fact almost too much. Even with the peg lowering kit, the brake pedal is now dramatically lower and more inboard than stock and takes some getting used to. After first installing it, I took it off after a few rides. But since then, I reinstalled it and am determined to make it work, because the alternative is having to raise my foot to activate the stock...or give up the lowering kit.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Tom,

I found out about the potential danger in corners with the peg lowering kit early and often on the first day out with them. It has taken some getting used to but it is better overall than being cramped with the standard set-up.

Steve
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Pulling the Right Side Foot Peg Plate

Took out the 3 main hex bolts and removed the two smaller torx bolts, but the plate still seems to be 'connected' to something.

Is it that simple or is there something else I need to deal with?

Karl
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
Took out the 3 main hex bolts and removed the two smaller torx bolts, but the plate still seems to be 'connected' to something.

Is it that simple or is there something else I need to deal with?

Karl
Yes! There are two brake hoses right at the top of the plate -- and they barely tolerate being twisted as the plate is rotated to get access to its rear side. I strongly suggest taking a look at the pics toward the end of this article to see what you're dealing with: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles...rticle&artid=4

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Mark,

Thanks....do I remove the lines or work with them attached?

PS...I'm trying to lower the brake pedal because I have installed the lowering blocks from Sub. Machinery.

Karl
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
Mark,

Thanks....do I remove the lines or work with them attached?

PS...I'm trying to lower the brake pedal because I have installed the lowering blocks from Sub. Machinery.

Karl
You have to work with them in place. One is the feed from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder, mounted to the rear of the plate. The other is the rear wheel control circuit to the Integral pump -- breaching it would require bleeding, best performed with the dealer's computer equipment unless you know the system inside-out.

A word of caution -- get feedback from others as to their success rate on Integral/EVO equipped bikes ('02-and-later). The Integral system expects to see a certain amount of hydraulic pressure in the control line at the point that the brake light switch is triggered. I know of at least one Integral unit that triggered faults/had to be replaced due to problems caused by a mis-adjusted brake lever. I'm not saying don't make an adjustment; I am, however, suggesting driving to your dealer after the adjustment to have the brake system completely checked with the GT-1 diagnostic computer to verify the pedal is properly adjusted.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in