Speedometer Spastic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Speedometer Spastic

On the way to work today the speedo on my 2000 K12LT decided to start jumping from 0 to 60 spastically, sometimes staying at 0 for a couple of seconds. My normal 30 mile commute became around 8 miles! I looked at threads to see if this is a symptom of something the average guy could fix and I found one describing the sensor on the rear drive going bad, or perhaps the cable going to it being cut. Has anybody bought a new sensor? Any way to test it? Could it just be loose? Is the cable repairable? I normally have Engle's in KC just fix everything. How many $$$ would that cost? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:55 am

I had the same problem and several of the members posted with the fix and they were correct - cut wire. It was exactly where they said it was and the fix was easy. I wonder how many LT riders have paid dealers $$'s to fix this problem.

I have said before - if it were not for this site and the helpful folks on it - my LT would have been long gone by now. The small donations to this site are a mere fraction of what I have saved on things just like this.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringplay
On the way to work today the speedo on my 2000 K12LT decided to start jumping from 0 to 60 spastically, sometimes staying at 0 for a couple of seconds. My normal 30 mile commute became around 8 miles! I looked at threads to see if this is a symptom of something the average guy could fix and I found one describing the sensor on the rear drive going bad, or perhaps the cable going to it being cut. Has anybody bought a new sensor? Any way to test it? Could it just be loose? Is the cable repairable? I normally have Engle's in KC just fix everything. How many $$$ would that cost? Thanks for the help!
Amost guaranteed to be a cut wire, where the sensor wire is zip tied to the front end of the rear brake line, at the front of the swing arm. You have to remove the right side fairing piece in front of the side case to get to it. Easy fix, splice the wire back together and insulate it with rubber tubing to prevent it from cutting again.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all - I appreciate the responses!
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Cool

Mine has been spastic all along. Checked all the wires along rear brake lines upto connector under seat, no damage or cuts.
Went as far too replace ENTIRE sensor/wire assm (@$42) & speedo STILL jumps randomly
So In my case remain clueless to the cause & have no dirrection to go in resolving it.

O'Well
Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Scott,

Maybe you have a break somewhere further up the wire, or at least a bad connection. Mine only acts up when things get wet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Mine has been spastic all along. Checked all the wires along rear brake lines upto connector under seat, no damage or cuts.
Went as far too replace ENTIRE sensor/wire assm (@$42) & speedo STILL jumps randomly
So In my case remain clueless to the cause & have no dirrection to go in resolving it.

O'Well
Scott
You may have one of the lugs that secures the 4 wires to the speedometer loose. I had a similar problem with my '03 shortly after doing the speedometer mod. In my case the speedometer was erratic, then just stopped working. The cause... a single lug not tightly fastened to the speedometer. My fault, but an easy fix to just remove the nose and check it out. It will eliminate a possibliity.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:44 am
kip

had it, found it, fixed it

had the same jumping speedo issue....and kicking off cruise control
found the story here on this site
looked at the tie wrapped wires going to the sensor on the rear diff
tie wraps on the brake parts where the wire routes by....
overzealous assembly guys i guess....tightened them down too tight
found the crimped places
cut the wire apart
SOLDERED (dont use butt splices) the wires back together
shrunk some heat shrink tubing over the area (make sure and slide it on and way up the wire BEFORE soldering)
taped over that for good measure
re tie wrapped with minimal pressure on the wire
7000 miles and no more issues
took longer to get the parts off to get to it than it did to fix it

another testimony to how invaluable this site has been to me
!!

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 6:00 pm

My speedo started spazzing as described on the way back from Austin last night. I called friend Dick Largen this morning and he mentioned the wire wear on the brake line ferrule. Sure enough, the yellow speedo wire was cut thru. We stripped and soldered both the yellow and brown wires in the cable to the speedo sendor (dual sensor version, '01 model year). Repaired wires were taped and re-tie wrapped to the brake line as before. Speedo works again BUT now my ABS fault comes on all the time. The ABS sensor wire is also tie-wrapped in the same place, but exhibited no wear or cutting. Pulling the Motronic fuse didn't reset the problem. Any one have any ideas? The only thing I can think of might be a broken wire INSIDE the ABS cable?

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in