I got the bug bad..K1600 or K1200 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 1:25 am Thread Starter

I got the bug bad..K1600 or K1200 LT

What do I do... I found a lot of bikes I like, Most to far to go see. Those I have to figure out the transportation details... I'm stay up to late looking at pics at night. Its possessing most of my day time thoughts...Its like a drug....I need a fix..

I've narrowed it down so far to Blue, + years 07, 08 for the LT. 09 is Black, so its eliminated-maybe..... After the weeks of looking.....Then I look at the K1600... and it starts all over again maybe I could afford it...Would that be a better choice...its way to much money....What if I get a bike from some other dealer? Will my dealer stick it to me cause I didn't get one of there bikes...(just wondering out loud here)....Lt's get better gas mileage I'm assuming.. Does the K1600 have bigger luggage capacity?

They got both bikes and there Blue too.(at my nearby dealer) . K1600 / at a new demo price and the K1200Lt for $12250 that has 37k....Got some feelers in at some other dealers on some 05's too..The one that was 65 miles away got sold last week I found out...

How do/can you justify spending 50% more for a GTL then the LT. I want to..really .but....then it starts all over again....posting here helps a little................help .

J Sova

2014 BMW K1600GTL-E- white and gold--
2014 Ural Red October GearUp 2WD sidecar --yr
Past sidecars -2
Past 2w bikes -9 Marion, Iowa

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:21 am

Re: I got the bug bad..K1600 or K1200 LT

Hello JD

Most of us has been where you are at now, I bought my first LT from a member here on this site. He was only 1200 miles away from where I live. I bought his LT unseen and have never had a second thought about it.

People that buy LT's either love them or hate them after getting the motocycle. They find out the bad things about the K1200 LT and most love the bike. That is why you see some new LT's that are for sale with very low miles.

The Lt does have some bad habits, It is the worst piece of junk made below 10 mph, stopping with the front wheel turned, slippery footing ie: sand, gravel ect.ect..
The LT is one top heavy motocycle. It is not if you are going to drop the LT it is when!!

Save some wear and tear on your body if the LT starts to go down ( let it go.)
Just learn how to pick the Lt up and you will see that if not next to something the LT will be absolutely fine after falling over

Above 10 mph it is the most awsome machine you will ever slide a leg over.

Any LT you chose will be a good bike unless it has been wrecked and put back together.
Just find out as much as you can about the owner of that LT and talk to them if possible

That is my .02 worth
Enjoy the ride

Joey

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC
2001 LT name Dolly because she is so dang Top Heavy
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Access to 2005 SE V-Rod
post #3 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsova
After the weeks of looking.....Then I look at the K1600... and it starts all over again maybe I could afford it...Would that be a better choice...its way to much money...... Does the K1600 have bigger luggage capacity?

How do/can you justify spending 50% more for a GTL then the LT. I want to..really .but....then it starts all over again....posting here helps a little................help .
First of all - Welcome to what is probably the best run forum on the web.... You will get logical answers most of the time and there is more here about what you are looking at than probably anywhere else. A search will divulge the secrets...

I owned an 02 K1200LT for about 8 years and 50,000 miles and loved every mile. Each year has improvements, but like the old VW beetle, most were not significant. The newer, the better, in many minds.

I now have a 2012 K1600GTL and cannot believe how great a bike it is. Like the K1200LT though, it was an acquired taste and I had to learn how to ride it to really appreciate what it could do. That took 1,000 miles, the same as the K1200LT.

The best way to sum up the differences between the two is by saying that every improvement that I made or wished for in the K1200LT is built into the stock K1600GTL. The storage is about the same for both bikes. Seems less in the K1600, but I'm told it's the same.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:10 am

You still can't beat an LT for 2 up touring comfort and wind protection, but the K1600 is in a whole 'nother class for performance. Like the difference between a Lincoln Continental and a Ferrari. I would still rather have the Lincoln for day after day long distance work, and it is superb for hauling a trailer. Don't forget that the LT was designed in 1997. Time marches on.

I've never had an issue with dropping an LT on pavement - nor is low speed handling a problem once you learn how execute a tight U turn properly... and with over 240K on two of them I have done a LOT of U turns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:17 am

Five months ago I was exactly where you are now. Buy a used LT or sell my GS Adventure and buy a new 1600.

I was looking for something on which the wife and I could do some some two up weekend touring.

I opted for the LT in order to be able to keep the Adventure and found an almost perfect 07 with low miles.

Since then I've noticed a couple of things about the LT, all of which are dicussed in one form or another on this forum.

I've replaced the tires, have just ordered a set of Wilbers, and am about to order a front and rear Corbin. I've still spent less than half the price of a new 1600, still have my Adventure, and the wife loves the LT.

Its a tough choice...good luck
post #6 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:37 am

I am curious, i have heard the new Ural is much improved over the older models. What are your thoughts?
post #7 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:23 am

Welcome aboard. I am on my second LT and I find it to be a wonderful machine. If you end up going to an LT, seriously consider an 05 or later as the changes from earlier models are significant enough to make it worth while IMHO. As Ron alluded to, the 1600 is quite a bit different. So only you can determine if the 1600 is a better choice for you and worth the extra dinero. I would suggest waiting for a later model year as there are numerous issues reported (not uncommon with first year models), such as water pumps going bad and transmission problems. Just spoke with a guy who just got one and has already had the water pump go twice and thinks his transmission may be failing. The LT had it's issues also early on but it seems they have been pretty well sorted out. Good luck with your process and let us know what you end up on.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #8 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
I would suggest waiting for a later model year as there are numerous issues reported (not uncommon with first year models), such as water pumps going bad and transmission problems. Just spoke with a guy who just got one and has already had the water pump go twice and thinks his transmission may be failing. .
I politely beg to disagree. Of the approximately 1,000 to 1,500 K1600's sold, there have been several with leaky water pumps (not sure of the number, but it is quite low) and this is the first that I've heard of a transmission problem. There have been a few software mods. This is, so far, in my opinion, one of the most trouble free bikes produced.

Do a good search on this and the other K1600 forum and I think you'll find similar information. My 2012 with 4,400 miles has not even burped. I did have to learn to ride it correctly, but once I did the ride sure has been sweet.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I politely beg to disagree. Of the approximately 1,000 to 1,500 K1600's sold, there have been several with leaky water pumps (not sure of the number, but it is quite low) and this is the first that I've heard of a transmission problem. There have been a few software mods. This is, so far, in my opinion, one of the most trouble free bikes produced.

Do a good search on this and the other K1600 forum and I think you'll find similar information. My 2012 with 4,400 miles has not even burped. I did have to learn to ride it correctly, but once I did the ride sure has been sweet.
I was just passing on information I have heard and read, only as a FYI from posts I have read and heard from a couple current 1600 owners, one who has had 2-pumps replaced. The OP if interested can check the frequency.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #10 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 3:19 pm

There's been issues with the tranny clunking in 3rd and 4th gear, the "left hand pull club" (about 50% of bikes) faulty cluster switches, leaking water pumps, defective radiator caps and the instability of the top case. All issues that will eventually be sorted out over time. Hey, it's a first year machine.

I came close to pulling the trigger on a new 1600, but glad I waited. I'll probably hang loose for another year to let any high mileage problems pop up (let's just hope there isn't a final drive issue...) before plopping down 25 large. Dealers are now discounting $1K off the top just for asking, and I'll bet future incentives will be available.

It's still one of the most thrilling bikes I've ever ridden, you don't have to horse it around like an LT. I'm also holding out for my new 200 hp 4 cylinder stump pulling LT in 2014.... No way BMW is going to let Honda have the flagship portion of the market all to itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 4:00 pm

J,........ If your'e talking about a black '09 LT for $12,500, that's like close to Half price !
And I think that I would keep that one in contention.
I have a couple of black vehicles, and they both work quite well.
In fact, if my Morris Minor were any other color, I don't believe that it would run as sweet.
post #12 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you aren't planning on doing a lot of riding between now and when it stops snowing, consider waiting until you can take each out for a ride.

When I bought my LT, before I found this community, I was basking in the knowledge that I had bought fine precession German engineering that I would not have to modify to get it to run right (Yup, been riding HDs for years).

I was amazed at how smooth and quiet she was at 70mph; my wife was very comfortable--she loved that I when I raised the windshield she wasn't blown around by the wind.

Then I discovered the speedo, by design, always read higher than my actual speed. When I brought her into the dealer for the 1K check up I indicated that for some strange reason she needed a tune up because there was a flat spot around 3K that had my stomach doing somersaults when I made a 90 degree turn from a dead stop into traffic. Plus the rear brake squeeeeled.

The dealer informed me that they couldn't fix the speedo, and, there wasn't any way to tune her up.

To cure the hesitation they had to get a new chip from BMW to replace the one with defective programming. When I called BMW I was informed that there was a one year waiting list to get the chip to make her run right!!!!

The local dealer thought waiting one year to get her to run right was BS!!! So they pulled a chip from a new LT and installed it in mine. It seems as if BMW would get a new chip to a dealer so that they could sell a new bike.

While there they installed a free frame that protected the trany when you went over a speed bump.

After I discovered this site, I brought my LT back to get get the defective starter relay replaced and to have a new rear disc installed to eliminate the squeel.

Thanks to this site I was able to remove the speedo brain and modify it so that it indicated my actual speed.

I started reading about FDs failing, leaving people stranded.

During one CCR gathering BMW didn't have a single replacement FD in the USA.

As a result of all of those and other common problems with the LT, I decided that when I buy another new bike it will only be after that model has been out for 3-4 years.

After my wife died, I looked at how many times a year I drove a car and decided it was cheaper to rent a car whenever I need a car.

Thanks to this site you will get an answer to just about any question you have about an LT. My guess is that all of the weak spots of LTs has been discovered.

I recently replaced my throttle cables with the latest improved cables; that made twisting the throttle a LOT easier.

Since I don't have any interest in the 1600s, I don't have any idea how they are doing.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #13 of 34 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
J,........ If your'e talking about a black '09 LT for $12,500, that's like close to Half price !
And I think that I would keep that one in contention.
I have a couple of black vehicles, and they both work quite well.
In fact, if my Morris Minor were any other color, I don't believe that it would run as sweet.
Nope Black is not an option here... I'm kinda partial to Blue... its the 07 for $12,250 w 37k mi+
no extra's. I did find a Blue 08 with 9k mi's on her for a touch over $15k but 1,270 miles away one way....
she does have the BMW gar-man and a few other farkels on her.. looks like a sweet deal, I might jump on it if I can figure the delivery..Me to drive and trailer is about $500 plus a motel round trip..Or would I be better with the high mileage 07 bike

Can a person tell anything from the Vin number... such as what it all came with originally?

J Sova

Past sidecars -2

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
post #14 of 34 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 6:49 am

My wife and I rode a K1200LT somewhere around 2000 (loved it but couldn't afford it) and rode a 2011 K1600GTL in the spring of 2011 (LOVED it but couldn't afford it). We have been interested in a touring bike for some time now and ended up buying a 2000 K1200LT and the more I ride it the more I like it. Some day I'll own a 1600 GLT, but for now, the LT is a great ride!

Just Ride
post #15 of 34 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTerry
My wife and I rode a K1200LT somewhere around 2000 (loved it but couldn't afford it) and rode a 2011 K1600GTL in the spring of 2011 (LOVED it but couldn't afford it). We have been interested in a touring bike for some time now and ended up buying a 2000 K1200LT and the more I ride it the more I like it. Some day I'll own a 1600 GLT, but for now, the LT is a great ride!
As a datapoint, I passed on a 2000 with 40,000 miles for $4000, I just couldn't get the logistics to work out. Ended up with an 05, 34k miles, for $9500, so there are better deals on the fringes.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #16 of 34 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 11:00 am

I purchased my 2000 in September 2011, 18,000 mi, for $6,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWK12.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	34022  

Just Ride
post #17 of 34 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A few people here have turned more than 100K miles on their LTs.

The rumor, or mythology is that 30K miles is just broken in.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 34 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 5:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Best from Tucson
Bob
That's what I heard too, so after the careful consideration, the trigger was pulled and I've added a new steed to my garage, and I now have the option of going into work tomorrow (besides many others) with my "new to me" 07 LT. Gotta get familar with her ya know, Before the long trips I didn't know these things had a garage light... how cool, (light that fades out) So much to learn..so little time. I'll have to figure out how to get a pic on here today after work

J Sova

Past sidecars -2

post #19 of 34 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 6:33 am

Quote:

Best from Tucson
Bob

I have 122k on my LT (Model year 2000). There is a "setlling in" at about 25,000 miles that I noticed. Then the bike never seems to change.

There is a wealth of experience in this forum that may seem to vary, but the acid test is your own test ride.

I didn't completely like the K12 after I bought, and always threatened to sell it and get something better. That was 11 years ago........

$.02
Paul

Miles to go b4 I sleep
2016 R1200RT
2012 K1600GTL, sold

00 K12LTC, sold
and a couple of old British bikes
Ocala, Florida
post #20 of 34 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:02 am

Only my opinion, and you will find all sorts who agree and disagree depending on their own experiences, but I have owned both the LT and 1600GT and there is no comparison. We have toured 2 up on the GT and both of us find it very similar to the LT in terms of comfort, As a rider I find it more comfortable, my wife found the LT slightly more luxurious but is more than happy on the GT.
The GT is MUCH more manoeuverable at slow speeds; the weight is carried much lower and U turns are not the worry I found them on the LT.
The performance is fantastic and streets ahead of the LT. I have averaged just over 52 mpg in the 4 months I have had the GT whcih is very similar to what I was getting out of the LT.
In terms of reliability, I have not had a single glitch! I know there are others who will complain about both the bikes you are looking at, but mine has been perfect!
It really is the most complete bike I have ever owned, and that is sraight from the box without any alterations.
Good luck with whatever you go for!!
post #21 of 34 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yup.

Waiting to see pix of your new ride.

She will take a while to get used to.

Once you get to take her down an interstate you will appreciate how smooth she is. Once you get to take her through some twisties you will be amazed how smooth she is and how great it is to have her up around 5 or 6K rpm in twisties.

Many people head to a parking lot to get used to stopping and turning their LTs.

Consider that many, many people drop their LTs. So, you might benefit looking at videos on how to push up BIG bikes with your back against the bike.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #22 of 34 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Here she is.. Hope it works downloading pics Ok can't preview
em
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrLft Lta.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	34067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rightside LTa.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	34068  

J Sova

Past sidecars -2

post #23 of 34 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Love the power stand... Its got a gps base mounted but I haven't got the main unit yet..Has some kind of teltronic windshield. I think its the widest one they got...Also has a Daylong seat saddle. Does Coms come on all Lt's?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leftside LT a.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	34069  

J Sova

Past sidecars -2

post #24 of 34 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 9:29 pm

She's a beauty, no doubt about it. As for the Russel Day Long seat? I don't there is a better seat out there. Some refer to them as "tractor seats". You know anything about tractor seats?????

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #25 of 34 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
She's a beauty, no doubt about it. As for the Russel Day Long seat? I don't there is a better seat out there. Some refer to them as "tractor seats". You know anything about tractor seats?????

Loren
Nope don't know nothing...anything I should know?

When I ride, I find it is hard to go straight home. Not seeing hardly any other bikers out...despite the warm weather record setting days we just had...

I never felt that way before, in all my years riding...Besides the 32deg snow flashing warning symbol is cool. 3 days in a row now..(no snow here yet). Never had a bike with a radio... and what a radio...name of song and group too, way to kool..heated seat... I'm getting sooo spoiled....

J Sova

Past sidecars -2

post #26 of 34 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 2:16 am

I have an 07 myself. Just bought it in Aug. I envy you your Russell daylong seat. I have the stock seat and for me, it's to soft and I get sore backside after 2 hours.
I added the PIAA lights under the front cowl for more vis by other drivers.

Other than that, it's a great ride. I'm hoping for some nice weather so I can get out for a ride again.
They tell you to " Ride it like you stole it". If you do, make sure you have a radar detector.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #27 of 34 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
It's still one of the most thrilling bikes I've ever ridden, you don't have to horse it around like an LT. I'm also holding out for my new 200 hp 4 cylinder stump pulling LT in 2014.... No way BMW is going to let Honda have the flagship portion of the market all to itself.
I also was in your shoes about three years ago and it is very much like an obsession. What an adventure it is too. Love your blue LT --and I'm with Ron...I'm hoping for BMW to re-introduce a great new LT.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #28 of 34 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 7:40 am

I seem to like the 1200 more as of now for long distance and choose a RT for more sport riding. My 08 LT has all my touring needs covered at almost half the cost. Good Luck!

08 LT, 1098, 100th Anniversary Roadking
post #29 of 34 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann
I am curious, i have heard the new Ural is much improved over the older models. What are your thoughts?
My 07 has been pretty dependable. I had a final drive failure repaired under warranty and a coil failure. The final drive issue I think was addressed. But it is not a touring bike at all. My wife doesn't like it. You are pretty much limited to side streets. You can do expressway riding but you're pretty much at wide open throttle. Not a pleasurable ride at all. And the seat will give you a couple of hours of fun before you definitely have to take a break. Gas mileage is not the greatest either. My best is about 30mpg.

Vic

2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2007 Ural Artic Gear-up
2002 BMW K1200LT
post #30 of 34 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer_Vic
My 07 has been pretty dependable. I had a final drive failure repaired under warranty and a coil failure. The final drive issue I think was addressed. But it is not a touring bike at all. My wife doesn't like it. You are pretty much limited to side streets. You can do expressway riding but you're pretty much at wide open throttle. Not a pleasurable ride at all. And the seat will give you a couple of hours of fun before you definitely have to take a break. Gas mileage is not the greatest either. My best is about 30mpg.
Another forum member neighbor! First a guy from New Lennox, and now someone from Dixmoor.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #31 of 34 Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:08 am

I agree with RonMiller in that the LT is a softer ride on a true touring bike. The GT and GTL are very comfortable sport tourers. I think the difference between a Lincoln Continental and a Farrari may be overstated though. I would NEVER buy a car as uncomfortable as a Farrari, nor as poorly handling as Lincoln Continental.

If you got the GT or GTL, you would probably never look back at the LT with regret unless it comes down to you thinking you wasted money. If that will be the case, get the LT.

If you get the LT, you WILL still have the K1600 bug. But if not getting it for the difference of $8K -$10K makes you feel good, then again you need to get the LT. If that is going to bother you, you need the K1600. Or if get a crappy LT that turns into a money pit.

BTW, after thinking through it all, I got a GTL last week. The rest of my story is below.

Quote:

Best from Tucson
Bob
Just turned over 100K on my LT when the clutch started slipping. And it was burning about 1 Qt of oil/1000 miles -- may have been my fault or it may have been because the center stand broke off about 40K miles ago.

Anyway -- new [email protected]$1.8K, smoke from side stand start, brake rotors wearing thin, I decided to upgrade than repair -- putting me in the same position as you -- another LT or K1600

After narrowing it down to 3 LTs and 3 1600s I looked at price. Based on the assumption my new bike would get 100K miles it was simple math:

An '02 LT w/ 34K miles -- about .10$/ mile, 02 LT w/17k miles, and an 09 w/70K miles .26/mile.

Decision point turned out to be an GTL traded for my LT and $17K = .18/mi assuming another 100k miles.

The GTL is bad ass but there are things I like about the LT better including wind protection, both side and top -- must get new wind screen for GTL, But I did ride 100 miles in a light rain on the GTL and never got wet so it is certainly not bad. Anyway, LT has reverse, the location of my Zumo gps is better.

What I like about the GTL. Power, speed, feels about 1000 lbs lighter due to lower center of gravity. My 5'6" short body can touch the ground with flat feet on the GTL. Has enough storage if there is such a thing but I swear my LT had more. After taking a curve too fast in the rain as I rode away from the dealer, I liked the traction control and rain mode. Also the Tire Pressure Monitors!!!! The gas mileage seems to be about the same so far.

What I hope to like will be the adaptive headlight, electronic damping. Not had time to play with it yet.

What is waste of money and gimmicky on the GTL is the GPS. It is a touch screen you can't reach very readily or safely and the "integration" just makes it harder to operate. For example to zoom it takes 2 clicks, a turn, then another click instead of just pushing the + or - button. Also, instead of just moving your thumb and flipping a tactile switch for hand heaters, the integration requires thought, reading screens as you press, press, press, press, then turning the dial. Add one more press for the seat heater.

All that said, I loved my LT and would have been just as happy having a late model to put another 100k miles on, but I would always be eyeballing the K1600. Even though my bank account is lower, I love my GTL! It's new and shiny! And powerful. And is the best bike made for sport touring, and arguably touring. The LT is probably still the best touring bike that has a little sportiness. The GTL is probably the best sporty bike that can be easily used for touring.
post #32 of 34 Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:10 am

By the way, I can email you my decision matrix which also has the location of a few LT and K1600s -- from Arizona to NH. Just pm me.
post #33 of 34 Old Jan 15th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsova
Here she is.. Hope it works downloading pics Ok can't preview
em
Congrats on the new bike. I like the color.

I faced the same decision last fall. I test rode a new K1600 and a 2009 K1200LT with only 4K miles. I liked the K1600, but not enough to justify spending an extra $10K. I bought the LT. With the money I saved, my wife and I spent a week in Jamaica. Ya mon!

2009 K1200LT
2002 Sportster XL1200 Custom
post #34 of 34 Old Jan 16th, 2013, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendy
By the way, I can email you my decision matrix which also has the location of a few LT and K1600s -- from Arizona to NH. Just pm me.
I am sure the gesture is appreciated, but if you look at the dates, the OP pulled the trigger and bout his LT over a year ago...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in