Ice link question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Ice link question

Can the experts PLEASE help me before I waste a lot of $$$$$$$
I have read the HOW and my understanding is that the lead I need is
120-BMW-T. Easy you would think, I finally found somewhere to order it from Aus and now i have been told
"Because of the Sat Nav being installed you do need to get
a slightly different kit (our part number 50020)"
Ok this is available but what happens if I remove the sat nav. I do intend to remove the stacker to get a bit more storage space and I had thought of removing the sat nav cause I dont use it. I do not want to spend 350 buckeroos for a cable that might not work.

I have a 2001 k1200lt with radio/tape deck, stacker,sat nav and intercom.
I dont know if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance
craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Craig I have been using the ICE-LINK for about a year now and love it. Once you download the patch it seems to work great. As far as interfacing problems with the GPS I have not a clue. Keep the GPS or not- then make your decision.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Wink

Craig,

I have been using the ICE>Link for about a year with pretty good results. The thing does hang up on occasion, but just reboot the iPOD and all is well again. I have an '03 LT with factory NAV; When I first the got the ICE>Link (prior to the plus) it didn't work because the firmware was not compatible with the NAV on my bike and the cable they sent me had the ground pin in the wrong hole which produced an annoying hum. I fixed the pin myself and they sent me the Plus with the proper NAV firmware. It has worked reasonable well. The sound is excellent with my J&M head set and factory BC3 intercom. Be patient with Dension because they are very slow in responding to problems and replacements. Know that going into the purchase.

All in all, if I were to do it again, I would probably buy the ICE>Link again, since I wouldn't have to go through the learning curve now.

It is really nice to mix your music on your computer and just download it to the iPOD, then ride, ride, ride.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 3:12 am

I had fairly nightmarish problems with mine - esp on the firmware. One word of advice - when you do the firmware upgrade make sure the iPOD is not on shuffle play.

As for dealing with Dension - living in the UK they were initially not interested in giving any support - not until I got hold of their Cheif Marketing guy who chipped in and helped me out.

Good luck

Tom
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't think the nav system issue is a consideration on the bikes. The cars have the nav system and stereo integrated, but the bikes are using separate units.

I'm guessing you have the Euro-style CD-based nav system that resides in the left saddlebag?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:11 am

Don't buy an ice>Link. Please.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:35 am

My Icelink worked OK... requiring occasional reseting after lockups. Last month, it cost me close to $400 in service charges when it failed and took out the radio and voice II. Took the techs 10 hours to figure out the ICELINK was fried. When they unplugged it..everything else worked fine again.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Guys,
The dealer now tells me that the part numbers for Australia are different than those in the US and Europe DUH! ?? and the cable cant be plugged into the din plug from the stacker, it has to be plugged into the rear of the radio. I still think I would be safer using the info off this site ( I'm sure its more reliable)
No wonder they say we live in another world down here.
I might just put it in the too hard basket for a while.
thanks,
Craig
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:50 am
Gold Supporter

Ice Link

I bought one and it never worked as desired or expected. Froze up frequently and never worked correctly. I did find it works best un-installed and sitting on a shelf or as the occasional door stop.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in