Originally Posted by kip
-------another thing i think i learned <not 100% sure>,,,,,the pc680 battery isnt suppose to be charged for more than 2 hours.....if you put the charger on for lets say overnight.....you can fry your battery
That is not true at all. Only if you have a REALLY cheap charger that has too high voltage output would this be true, but would be on ANY battery.
.....the odyssey battery is a different animal from the conventional battery.....
for whatever its worth
It is still a lead acid battery, the difference is that the acid electrolyte is absorbed in a glass mat between plates, thus the type AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)
Remember, the battery is "on charge" the entire time you are riding it, and most of us do that WAY longer than two hours at a time.
The only way you can "fry" a battery on charge is to have a charger that is set at well above normal charging voltage, which should be approx 13.7 volts max. The small "trickle" chargers are normally about 12.5 volts, so the battery will only charge at around 1 amp or so. Some larger battery chargers have a "boost" setting, which is only to be used for very short times to either assist a vehicle to start, or pump a quick charge into a battery for starting.
Any good quality battery charger can be left on a battery for hours with no problem. It will charge at a rate based on the battery's charge level, and taper off to a very low rate as the battery's voltage approaches full charge.
If you have a bad battery, with one cell not producing voltage, then yes, a charger will charge at too high a rate even after the good cells reach full charge, but that was a bad battery already.