ABS, Good & Bad news - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy ABS, Good & Bad news

Had the dealer reset the ABS on my '00 LT. Service manager said the Tech was able to accomplish the reset but the fault read a "recommendation to replace" the entire control unit.
Has Anyone been through this scenario and have the control unit last any measurable amount of time after a reset, considering the diagnostic unit's recommendation for replacement?
He mentioned that sometimes they go for thousands of miles and sometimes they go to the end of the block. He said I have a chance since he was able to reset. So far, I've got 30 miles...
Warranty is fresh up, so I guess I don't have a choice. $1200.00 for a new unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:28 pm
Cat Herder

Before I would cough up $1200 I'd give it a try. HOW did the ABS fault how up in the first place?
post #3 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Thumbs up

I got 150 miles before mine faulted again. You got a better price then me. It's about a half of days work to replace.

post #4 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Bouncer

Yes, I went through this. The error that came up was some sort of "piston fault".

The first time they re-set it, it didn't re-occur until a year later. Then it was several months. Then it happened all the time. So you could have up to a year and a half of use out of it before it happens again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:41 pm

I had the same thing happen on my 2000 LT. When they reset ,it only lasted a few minutes. The previous owner didn't change the brake fluid for 4 years. That's why BMW says change every year. My dealer priced repair at $1700 plus $300-400 labor.
post #6 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Before I would cough up $1200 I'd give it a try. HOW did the ABS fault how up in the first place?
Manager said it was probably just a coincidence...But I suspected It was caused when I put the bike in gear while on the center stand (Checking something out) throwing off the speed sensor. I thought this was the whole problem. Not my luck, I suppose.
I also replaced a low battery.

I'm going to call the warranty company, maybe I have until May! Can't remeber.
post #7 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
If you're just barely out of warranty and you have a good relationship with the dealer, maybe they will cut you a deal? Pay for parts but not labor, or pay 1/2 the total? Can't hurt to ask.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker
Manager said it was probably just a coincidence...But I suspected It was caused when I put the bike in gear while on the center stand (Checking something out) throwing off the speed sensor. I thought this was the whole problem. Not my luck, I suppose.
I also replaced a low battery.

I'm going to call the warranty company, maybe I have until May! Can't remeber.
That is what I suspected. The ABS fault you describe is not really a fault per se. It is the computer complaining that the two wheels were turning at a rate that is incompatible. Same thing happened to me when I layed it down once. Dealer reset the ABS fault and it never came back.

DO NOT PUT IT IN GEAR WHILE ON THE CENTERSTAND. That will trigger an ABS fault every time.
post #9 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Several times this winter, while up on the center stand, I'd let 'er run at idle, in gear - to get the fluids spread around.

Likely not needed at all - but it felt good.

::knocks on wood:: so far, no faults here. Maybe cuz front wheel weren't turning at all? ABS test never went out.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter

Several times this winter, while up on the center stand, I'd let 'er run at idle, in gear - to get the fluids spread around.

Likely not needed at all - but it felt good.

::knocks on wood:: so far, no faults here. Maybe cuz front wheel weren't turning at all? ABS test never went out.
Hello Tate

Very well could be O.K. if @ Idle. Could be...problem happens if you go above 3-5mph on the speedo. Just a guess.
Could be you just have the luck I wish for!
Probably not a good idea as luck always seems to run out sooner before later.
post #11 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That is what I suspected. The ABS fault you describe is not really a fault per se. It is the computer complaining that the two wheels were turning at a rate that is incompatible. Same thing happened to me when I layed it down once. Dealer reset the ABS fault and it never came back.

DO NOT PUT IT IN GEAR WHILE ON THE CENTERSTAND. That will trigger an ABS fault every time.

Hey Andy,

I just thought to ask...Did you get the same "recommendation to replace??"
Could it be the computer just thinks the ABS unit is going bad?
This would give me encouragement and a little hope!
post #12 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker
Hey Andy,

I just thought to ask...Did you get the same "recommendation to replace??"
Could it be the computer just thinks the ABS unit is going bad?
This would give me encouragement and a little hope!
No, back then I did not get a recommendation. When I had it in BMW of Denver was very curtious and they told me that the different speed on the front and rear wheel WILL cause a fault. And if you think about it: If the moronic 'sees' drastically different speeds on the front and the rear it HAS to believe that there is something wrong.

As I said: They cleared the fault code and it never happened again. (Because I didn't lay it down again )
post #13 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Exactly what I did. Have a habit of starting bike, place in gear, ride away no feet when bumping it off the center stand. Was real good about not doing this on the LT but brain farted leaving work after a mid shift one morning and presto magico got the fault. Had dealer reset and rode it a considerable amount of time and distance w/o another occurrence before trading. Was the same piston fault Jeff mentioned.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #14 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Question Am I just liucky, or what?

My experience is quite different than suggested here. I've been under the impression that if the ABS hasn't "set" that it will wait for the appropriate signals from the front and rear wheels before going into operating mode. If it isn't in operating mode (not set) it doesn't seem to matter if you spin the rear wheel by itself or not. A code has never set for me even when whistling it up in excess of 80mph. Have done this more than once. (twice?)

Hmmm.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #15 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
If it isn't in operating mode (not set) it doesn't seem to matter if you spin the rear wheel by itself or not. A code has never set for me even when whistling it up in excess of 80mph. Have done this more than once. (twice?)

Hmmm.
You may have misinterpreted what we are stating. Yeah I too can whistle it to 80 mph with the bike stationary on the center stand w/o a problem. What I am referring to is doing this in one motion (well not 80 mph, just having the rear wheel rotating while the front is motionless) and kicking it off the center stand and then moving forward.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #16 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Andy, is this something different on the later models? It was not so on my 2001 LT. I ran it in gear on the centerstand a few times, never had an ABS fault.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #17 of 24 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

David,

I have done it several times on the 05 and no problems. I thought it was just on the early bikes with out the integral set up. Looks like there is no definitive answer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 24 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:01 am

Same here. After I replaced the rear drive bearing recently, I wanted to "run in" the new bearing before putting it under a full load so I shifted the bike up through the gears to fifth on the centerstand. I let it idle in each gear for a few minutes with some increases to a moderate RPM. No faults.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #19 of 24 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:04 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Andy, is this something different on the later models? It was not so on my 2001 LT. I ran it in gear on the centerstand a few times, never had an ABS fault.
I was parroting the dealer. (BMW of Denver) And when thinking about it it did make sense to ME. The computer has to think there is something wrong with the bike if it sees totally different speeds of the front and rear wheel.

Seems that I stand corrected.
post #20 of 24 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:39 am

Quote:
I was parroting the dealer. (BMW of Denver) And when thinking about it it did make sense to ME. The computer has to think there is something wrong with the bike if it sees totally different speeds of the front and rear wheel.

Seems that I stand corrected.
I don't think the ABS system checks for wheel speed until the brakes are applied, so just running the bike without using the brakes seems to be OK. I would amagine that if you were to apply the front brake while running the bike on the centerstand a fault would be generated.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #21 of 24 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:13 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
I don't think the ABS system checks for wheel speed until the brakes are applied, so just running the bike without using the brakes seems to be OK. I would amagine that if you were to apply the front brake while running the bike on the centerstand a fault would be generated.
That can certainly be the problem. And in my spill back in 2003 when I had this happen to me I am sure I applied brakes while going down.
post #22 of 24 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I'm not sure if the brakes being applied is the trigger. I'd guess that it doesn't check until it gets a good signal from both wheels and completes the startup self test. If one wheel then gives a significantly different reading, a fault should occur.

But if you turn on the bike, never move the front wheel (so never complete the self test), then spin up the rear wheel there should be no fault. I think that scenarios fits the reports we've seen.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 24 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 7:12 am

Quote:
I don't think the ABS system checks for wheel speed until the brakes are applied,
Wouldn't it have to check for a wheel signal to complete the initial self test? Isn't wheel motion and signal output what feeds the computer for the final check and then turns the light out as you first pull away after start up?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #24 of 24 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
Wouldn't it have to check for a wheel signal to complete the initial self test? Isn't wheel motion and signal output what feeds the computer for the final check and then turns the light out as you first pull away after start up?
I agree with Ken's assessment, likely that the self test on start out needs both wheel sensors input to start. I know from experience that running the bike on the centerstand does not start the test, nor does it create a fault.

Don't know if my original thought that applying the front brake while running the bike in gear on the centerstand would cause a fault, since the start up self test has not happened.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in