Bad seller, I know I know, lesson learned... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 8:14 am Thread Starter

Bad seller, I know I know, lesson learned...

I could use some advice from a group that I trust...

I am editing this to say that this is not whinning, I am just relating a story...

Wednesday morning (spelt 2 hours before the CRACK OF DAWN) just flew to 2 hours to pick up a bike that was advertised off advrider.com

When I got to the bike the seller was a disaster.

1. Piece (foot peg) was missing off the bike
2. Maintenance records were non existent.
3. Tires adverstised to be new were in fact under 25% rear and under 10% remaining front and were mismatched
4. Cluth (mineral oil hydraulics) problem almost stranded me (800 mile ride home with the bike)
5. Seller knew nothing about the bike (Oh I never say that switch before, I wonder what that does) must have been for some farkel...

There were more that I cannot recall.

I paid for the bike and have it home now, odrered new tires, had the clutch (mineral oil) flushed, purchased the 3 year extended warranty on the bike and had the dealler give the bike a good once over.

Normally I would RANT and RAVE and call the seller and give him a rash of SHIT, but this time I figure what for?

I had to bargain, beg to get him to split the price for replacing the missing foot peg there on the spot. Not that he was willing to pay for the whole thing, he wanted to ship me the missing part (like I was going to hold my breath on that one).

I was 1/2 way over a barrel since I was there 800 miles from home, no return plane ticket (although I could have gotten one easy enough) and I felt that the bike was overall a 9 out of 10 and the price seemed good enough.

My wife who is normally the one who looks at me like I am crazy when I am going ape shit over bad customer service is wanting me to call the seller, but I guess I just do not see what the point is.

PLEASE advise and give me your thoughts.

One thing to note is that if I do ever see him post a bike again for sale, I will post my experience.

Thanks in advance for listening.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pauleknight; Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:03 am. Reason: not whinning, just say'in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 8:50 am

Re: Bad seller, I know I know, lesson learned...

I can imagine how you feel. That's the problem with buying at long distance...
As long as your feeling about a 9/10 quality bike is confirmed and the price is good,,,
Lots of luck and pleasure with it.

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:20 am

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Maybe next time post to this fOrum to see if one of us is close enough to go look at the bike for you? We should have at least noticed the missing foot peg and the lack of maintenance records

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:56 am

Thumbs up Re: Bad seller, I know I know, lesson learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Maybe next time post to this fOrum to see if one of us is close enough to go look at the bike for you? We should have at least noticed the missing foot peg and the lack of maintenance records

Loren
That is a great advice that served me well in the past when buying my 03 LT in Pittsburgh, my 05 LT in Boca Raton, my classic 911 in Maryland, and my Benz in Fort Myers, thanks to kind and generous members of this forum.
It always feels good to have a sanity check.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

Loren
Loren,

I would have posted to have a fellow LT rider take a look, but to be honest it was a "quick deal"

I never really intended to sell my LT so quickly and when it did I found the one I mentioned.

I did get a great deal on the R2100GSA and in the end I am very happy.

Thanks

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #6 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:37 am

Caveat emptor and in this case of forums caveat lector. But you are satisfied and that is what counts.
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:02 pm

I'm sorry about your unexpected situation. Sounds though like it's turning out ok and in the end, you'll have a great bike. Don't sweat the little things cause it's over and you made it home. Was the seller someone who was on the adventure forum often or just to sell the bike? Had he sold anything else there?

Hope to see the new bike tomorrow at the RTE.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 2:08 pm

Sounds like you got out by the skin of your teeth. Sometimes the idiots are difficult to ferret out. However, "I felt that the bike was overall a 9 out of 10 and the price seemed good enough." means you came out ahead. Flying in and riding 800 miles out should be justification enough for seeing the bright side.
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 2:49 pm

Great advice to have some one on advrider board or LT board who is not a buyer but local who can check it out objectively. I would certainly post your experience on the advrider board so folks know what kind of person the seller is. Has he ever posted on the LT board that you know of?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #10 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 6:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"Seller knew nothing about the bike"....

Did he even own the bike? Will wait for you to tell us "it was stolen" tomorrow?

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #11 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 8:25 pm

My two cents worth:
I'm convinced that in these situations (whether selling a bike, a car, a house, whatever...) sometimes - just sometimes - the seller is just looking at the object through rose-colored glasses. Those tires that he listed at new used to be a lot newer. Maybe he did a copy/paste of the ad from when he listed it the last time... and now the tires have a lot more miles on them. Maybe he simply forgot about the missing footpeg. Or, maybe he's just taking advantage of a buyer who traveled a long way to buy his bike. I'd rather give the guy the benefit of the doubt; or, to put it another way, I want to be sure he's taking advantage of me before I assume he is.

I trust you'll read the above as I intended it. Just trying not to jump to conclusions, I say.

It sounds like it ended up mostly the way you wanted it to. Glad to hear that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 9:01 am

I purchased two BMW's from distant sellers that required me to fly/ride home.
Both seller's provided me with at least 20 photo's of the bike from every possible angle showing all aspects of the machine.
Conversations with the seller provided insight to their knowledge of the bike and any history, maintenance, new/used, etc.

I think that I would have passed on that bike......

How did you ride home with a missing footpeg?

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:49 am

Yeah, I think 90% is pretty good considering it could have easily been 20%....

More pictures and more comm prior to the sale might have helped...

But,, You got a GSA, A couple more bucks and you can go anywhere...

I once drove two hundred miles to get a bike and wound up leaving it there...

And it was only a $500.00 parts bike... I didn't think it was even worth the five hundred...
You know it's got to be some serious crap for a BMW to not be worth even that much...

Good luck and have fun..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #14 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 12:05 pm

It's hard to understand how some people know or claim to know so little about the item they are selling unless it's one of those 'I inherited this thing' deals. I have nervously gone ahead with a couple of similar deals myself. It sounds like the 'issues' were fairly minor even though it is annoying to discover such things at the last minute I too would have gone ahead with it if the overall condition was 90%. I probably would have pushed for an adjustment based on misrepresented tire condition though.
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 1:56 pm

I had a similar issue with the seller of the LT that I bought. Had to travel to get it, seller claimed it was perfect, it was not as represented correctly at all. The guy was quite unpleasant and even threw the keys at me when the deal was done, with no assistance of loading the bike. I can only describe him as an @ss, and I was being very reasonable and fair with him. When his sellers contract was almost a legal document (clearly from an attorney, not a handwritten thing) I should have taken the hint and said no. I decided to take a chance, believing that most people are good people. Not the best decision I've made, but wasn't a disaster either. Two mouse nests, some chewed wire repairs, vacuum out the mouse food storage clogging 70% of the air intake, new filters and oil, and now a fuel pump relay replacement later, I still have some body work repairs to complete and more wiring to check to ensure nothing else is wrong. Did I get ripped off? I probably paid $500-1000 too much for a bike in that condition, but the decision was mine, although the trip back empty handed did put too much pressure on me when i had a long 2000 mile tour planned, and doing that on my VTX would not have been fun. Having said all that, being a glass half full guy, I've learned more about the LT by tearing into the repairs so I'm getting more and more confident with repairing it every time I work on it.

I think the advice above is good advice. I would have been better off asking someone local to go look at it. I probably would have low-balled the offer because it needed work, and likely would not have purchased this bike, but I am getting happier with it as all the issues reveal themselves and are repaired or replaced.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in