Oil Question, Sorry! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Oil Question, Sorry!

I don't want to start another oil thread, but has anyone heard of and/or used Schaeffer Oil. www.schaefferoil.com I just saw a demonstration with a friction gauge that made the Schaeffer product look vastly superior to anything else, Castrol, Spectro, Mobil 1, Harley D oil.

Dave Granzin
Penn Yan, NY

'03 K1200LT
'05 R1200RT
'00 K1200LT (Killed by Bambi attack)
'04 R1150GS (traded for RT)
'87 K100RS (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Talking Re: Oil Question, Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgg155
I don't want to start another oil thread, but has anyone heard of and/or used Schaeffer Oil. www.schaefferoil.com I just saw a demonstration with a friction gauge that made the Schaeffer product look vastly superior to anything else, Castrol, Spectro, Mobil 1, Harley D oil.
You don't want to start an oil thread? That's a relief.
I don't want to post in satire regarding another oil thread, but I just read your post.

Popeye likes Olive Oil.
But I'm sure Popeye would like Schaeffer if he'd seen the friction gauge demo.

"Schaeffer is the one beer to have, when you're having more that one."
Anyone remember that jingle?

I use Walmart Tech brand oil. Works good. Very slippery stuff.

Seriously, some lubricants maybe superior to others, but when was the last time anyone heard of a K1200LT (or any internal combustion engine for that matter) failing because of the oil? Your final drive is gonna crap out and your clutch is gonna slip long before your motor complains about oil.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Re: Oil Question, Sorry!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Have heard of Schaeffer. A former customer swore by it, all he used. I fixed and rebuilt his engines, couldn't tell any difference one way or another. They were giving away some nice hats and Tee shirts if you bought a 285 gallon tote of it. It had an odd reddish color.

Best thing you can do for your LT's lubrication system is find your manual and see what they recommend as to SAE weight and API classification. Use the appropriate weight according to the temperature range you expect to encounter. The API classification is important for a number of reasons.

Change the oil at least as often as recommended, change the filter at the same time as the oil. Never run it out of oil.

Personally, I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

B D R
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 6:34 pm

You are correct there, he made it look superior. Next time you see him, ask him to do the test using his product first, not last. They use the preceeding tests to wear a flat on the ball so increasing the surface area, which allows the final tested product to perform the best in the test. Concern yourself more about the detergent level in the oil and its ability to keep the starter sprag clean over the long term.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 8:26 pm

First thing I'll say is that you NEVER believe just one test. One test is only "one" part of the story.
Having said that, Schaeffer is all I use. I have also had the opportunity to use one of those bearing machines to run my own test. You can dummy that test easily: put a little bleach on any metal, run it through a friction test, and it comes out unbelievably superior (emphasis on unbelievable). Brown paper towels work well on them too. It may sound like I'm against the test, but I'm not, just as long as it's run fairly and correctly, and you are aware of how you can be fooled.
I used to use Redline, but after comparing UOA reports (and again, they are not the whole picture either), I'll never use Redline again.
I also had a chance to run my own temperature tests on my air cooled Harley. Schaeffer ran cooler than anything else I tested, and I bought a lot of oils to compare.
Only my 2 cents worth, and no, I don't sell it.

Oh, gunny, it's green. Redline is red. Guess what color Royal Purple is
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
... when was the last time anyone heard of a K1200LT (or any internal combustion engine for that matter) failing because of the oil?
I do have one, Curtis. Friend of my son had a 2002 Ford Crown Vic. It leaked/burned oil and used 5w20. Buddy boy got the bright idea it wouldn't burn/leak so much if he put heavier oil in it so he stole 3 quarts of 20w50 out of my garage. Three days later it threw a rod because the oil didn't flow through the oil ports adequately. Who'd a thunk it?

In that light, I would add the caveat "...when was the last time anyone heard of a K1200LT (or any internal combustion engine for that matter) failing because of the oil when using the correct formulation/viscosity?

...to which I will testify, "never heard of it, don't believe I ever will."

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 6:53 pm

I saw a similar result years ago, though it caused an electrical problem,........ a con rod came through the block and knowcked the distributor off.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Seriously, some lubricants maybe superior to others, but when was the last time anyone heard of a K1200LT (or any internal combustion engine for that matter) failing because of the oil? Your final drive is gonna crap out and your clutch is gonna slip long before your motor complains about oil.
Dido (OIl is good, no oil is no good).

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #10 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Some interesting reading.....re Schaeffer Oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaeffer_Oil
JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in