Adding brakefluid to the rear resevior - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Adding brakefluid to the rear reservior

Just got the LT back together after a new clutch, new output shaft seal, weap hole drilling, fluid changing week.
Got on it yesterday in 47 degree weather and rode it about 100 miles. Started to get a brake failure light about 65 miles in to the ride. the fluid in the rear reservoir is at the min mark. Just a thought, but could i put in fluid without taking the tupper ware back off by pulling the reservoir cap vent hose up and pouring, or injecting with a syringe, brake fluid in to the vent hose.
Would this hurt any thing.

Any thoughts.

"Airplane"

Last edited by airplane; Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:49 am. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 7:03 am

Re: Adding brake fluid to the rear reservoir

You don't have to take the Tupperware off. There are just three screws to take out to loosen the panel enough so you can move the panel enough to open the rear brake reservoir. Open the right saddle bag, lift the front seat, take off the rear seat, remove the two screws near the saddle bag just to the rear of the brake reservoir and the one screw at the intersection of the two Tupperware panels toward the front seat. That will give you enough play to get to the reservoir. I used a turkey baster like a big medicine dropper to add a few drops of fluid. A real medicine dropper would probably be better but I didn't have one.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Re: Adding brakefluid to the rear resevior

Yeah that makes sense to me. Sure beats stripping down the whole right side of the bike.

Thanks

"Airplane"

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Unless you have the "wig - wag" flashing lights adding fluid will not fix your warning light that is on steady. That is a different failure altogether. There is an ABS light and a general warning triangle. If they are flashing alternately then add fluid. If one is just on steady let us know which one. If the general warning triangle is on then you have a burned out low wattage element in the center tail light bulb.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

It was the wig wag flashing warning light situation. I put some fluid in the back half or the rear reservior and that fixed it. I pulled the rear seat and backrest and could get to the rear brake reservior cap just fine. I still think my vent hose idea would have worked without taking anything off of the bike. It would have taken too long for the fluid to drain down in to the reservior.

Thanks Air plane.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Great. Actually the rear or back half is only for the front wheel circuit. The front half is shared between the rear wheel and rear control circuit. It is usually the back end that gets low due to two calipers and the wear of the pads.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 5:36 pm

It's probably tempting to try the top-up using the vent tube idea, but there are 2 possible issues with it - fluid may not easily flow into the reservoir due to the space being sealed, and the vent hose may be dirty in side, which means you'll end up with contaminated fluid in your reservoir. I've actually been looking for a mini desicant breather to put inline on my breather tube as this would prevent any moisture travelling into the brake fluid. Haven't been able to track 1 down as yet.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 8 Old May 25th, 2012, 9:52 am

Re: Adding brake fluid to the rear reservoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
You don't have to take the Tupperware off. There are just three screws to take out to loosen the panel enough so you can move the panel enough to open the rear brake reservoir. Open the right saddle bag, lift the front seat, take off the rear seat, remove the two screws near the saddle bag just to the rear of the brake reservoir and the one screw at the intersection of the two Tupperware panels toward the front seat. That will give you enough play to get to the reservoir. I used a turkey baster like a big medicine dropper to add a few drops of fluid. A real medicine dropper would probably be better but I didn't have one.

Just used this method to top off my reservoir. Thanks to all senior/more knowledgable members for helping out those of us still learning!!

In der Ehre gibt es Hoffnung

2001 K1200LT "Jenny"
2009 Harley Davidson FLHTP (Current Work) "Gretchen"
1998 Harley Davidson FLHTP (Work) - Gone
2004 VTX1300C - Gone
1986 CB700 NightHawk - Gone
1974 CB450 - Gone (Great 1st Bike!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in