K1200LT won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Unhappy K1200LT won't start

Hello everyone.....newbee here.....and here's my issue. I have a 2005 K1200LT with only about 5000 miles on it. I have not riden it much due to some knee issues I have. Anyway I keep the battery on a trickle charger and change the fluids regualrly. I took the bike for a short ride about 2 weeks ago as the weather was nice an continues to be up here in Western NY. I go out yesterday to start it up and it just cranks away and did not fire. Battery is up to full charge. I did what I never like to do and put a couple of shots of ether into the intake. It did fire, but there was a mechanical clatter and as it used up the ether it stopped. If anyone has had similar issues. It ran beautifully two weeks ago.

1) any suggestions before I have it towed away to service
2) I could see if it was sitting for months,but only two weeks.

Everything eletronically works fine, all fuses are good. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Larry M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 11:09 am

Re: K1200LT won't start

Sounds like maybe bad gas.

There are probably a few additives you might add to help clean up the problem. Maybe drain the tank and put in fresh gas?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 7:42 am

Larry, This sounds more like a fuel pump problem more than bad gas. When you first turn the key on you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds to pressurize the fuel lines, if you don't hear it run it's most likely bad, or it could be a relay. Either way you are going to have to pull the tank.

It also be a line came off the fuel pump, that has happened to others, but I would definitely be checking in that area. Good Luck!!!!

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Larry, This sounds more like a fuel pump problem more than bad gas. When you first turn the key on you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds to pressurize the fuel lines, if you don't hear it run it's most likely bad, or it could be a relay. Either way you are going to have to pull the tank.

It also be a line came off the fuel pump, that has happened to others, but I would definitely be checking in that area. Good Luck!!!!
The pump does turn on, prime, pressurize, or whatever it does. I can hear it work for abour 2-3 seconds.........Probably will be pulling the tank.....
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMETMORT
The pump does turn on, prime, pressurize, or whatever it does. I can hear it work for abour 2-3 seconds.........Probably will be pulling the tank.....
Could be many things but draining the tank is a first step if it's been sitting a long time. A disgusting sludge may have formed that will destroy that expensive fuel pump. Better to start with fresh fuel anyway.
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Start with the simple and check your fuses and then move up from there make sure no interlocks are engaged

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Once you remove the upper left side fairing you should have easy access to one of the fuel lines going to the fuel rail.

You might have to un bolt the tank to slide it backwards and up?

If you remove the tank you can loosen then big black rig, that holds the pump in place, with a short piece of 2X4 by gently tapping on it.

Make sure the rubber bushings on the tank are installed where they came from.

After removing the tank many times I've discovered that if I lift the tank up slightly and put a wedge between it and the frame I can align the big bolts on either side of the tank, start the smaller bolts holding the seat frame in place and then grunt and groan to get the seat bracket, on top of the tank, aligned and the bolts started.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Special BMW tool.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	33695  

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 7:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Open the fuel cap and take a sniff. Does the fuel smell sour? If so that's likely the isue. You're either not getting fuel or it's too old to burn properly. When was the last time you bought gas?

post #9 of 25 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:05 pm

This probably sounds a bit ridiculous, but trust me, you should make absolutely sure (verify by sight) that you actually have fuel in the tank. Since the bike ran wonderfully only two weeks ago, it's probably not bad fuel. You also said that the pump was running so it doesn't sound like that's the problem. I can't tell you how many times people brought their "broken" bikes to the shop in the back of a truck only to find that they were out of gasoline. Always charged 'em for a gallon of gas and an hour of labor. You don't wanna have that happen.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 25 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 1:32 am

Good to see you post again Pastor Jack! How is the 'Wing treating you?

Just in case you haven't been following the forum closely let me bring you up to date.

There have been a number of clutches replaced due to leaking slave cylinders, several folks have discovered that the factory seat is uncomfortable and replaced them with aftermarket seats, a number have discovered that it is easier to change the air filter on a v-twin than on an LT, a lot of folks have replaced the factory headlight with HID, a few have had abs issues (nearly always a sad ending to these tales), and the safety of acrylic v. polycarbonate windscreens has been debated.

There ya go! You're up to speed on the issues of the last few years.

Hope all is well with you.

Loren

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 25 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 2:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMETMORT
I know of two similar cases where the U-shaped rubber gas tube curve inside the gas tank was broken. The curve is at the top of the pump / filter and if there is a crack in the tube there will not be enough pressure for the fuel injection.
You can check this by opening your gas cap and looking inside the tank with flashlight when turning the ignition on. In both of the cases that I know there was gas spraying through the crack in the hose and thus wasting the pressure.

Good luck with the search!

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #12 of 25 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 8:43 am

Good point Ari, but wouldn´t the pump just keep on pumping ?. LMETMORT reckons it stops after a few seconds.

Sounds like a pump removal to me, to check the tubes you mention plus the filter which may be clogged.
post #13 of 25 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 9:44 am

Well, its either FUEL, SPARK or AIR...

The last time my LT refused to start was equally odd. It turned out that the hose clamp on the fuel filter (inside the gas tank) had come loose and separated. When that happens you hear the fuel pump go but the bike will not start or run.

The tank has to be removed and the lines reconnected.

Just another thought. Good luck!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #14 of 25 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 10:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

I don't think the pump would continue to run at the "ignition on" point. It times out and comes back online when the engine starts. This is some type of fuel issue since it fired up with starting fluid. He either has low pressure in the fuel rail, bad gas, or no gas at all.

post #15 of 25 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Good point Ari, but wouldn´t the pump just keep on pumping ?. LMETMORT reckons it stops after a few seconds.

Sounds like a pump removal to me, to check the tubes you mention plus the filter which may be clogged.
To my experience it is as Dean explained on his post below. The pump running is based on timer and if there is a small crack in the U-curve the fuel pressure will go down and there is nothing left to be sprayed into the cylinders. I don't think there is a pressure switch anywhere in the fuel system (but of course I can be wrong, too...)

One bike in UK and another one in Finland had this problem and the Finnish bike sat on local dealer for half a week and they could not figure out the problem until a private "old timer" BMW-tech later on took one look in the gas tank and pointed out the problem.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #16 of 25 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 3:29 am

No "old timers" here Ari !.
post #17 of 25 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 5:50 am

The pump is controlled by Motronic. It cycles the pump for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on and will not restart the pump till it sees an RPM signal. It's for safety, in the event of an accident or ruptured fuel line it will shut down the pump when the engine stalls to prevent continues fuel spray. There's a fuel pressure regulator but not a pressure sensor that I can see.

Because you do hear the pump cycle and it's been noted by others of the cracked or disconnected HP hose in the tank that would be a good place to start. If you can't find a problem there I would check the injector pulse using a noid light, it can be purchased at an auto parts store. You can also check for voltage at the injector connector (it's usually below battery voltage so a reading of 11.7 - 11.9 is OK) The fuel ECU pulses the ground, that's were the noid light comes in. I don't recommend checked the ground signal at the injectors using a test light.

I would recommend avoiding ether, that rattle you heard when using it is not a good thing.
post #18 of 25 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 5:53 am

Thanks. Interesting about the pump and RPM, didn´t know that.
post #19 of 25 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 6:23 am

My bet is on no gas.
I almost had the same issue on mine. the sensor tube is crushed and was misreading the amount in the tank.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #20 of 25 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Using ether on a LT is a very BAD idea.

B D R
post #21 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Well ....It's running. and you're not going to believe it. I syphoned as much gas as I could out of the tank and then put in some fresh premium gas. then took the bike off of the center stand and rocked the bike back and forth to slosh the fuel around in the tank. pressed the started button and it fired instantly ( ending 4 days of agony) .....Crazy ......Problem is now that it is 30 degrees and not 60.....I think I got shocked with I called the closest BMW dealer ( 75 miles away) and they quoted me 350 for the pump (part only) and 800 total with labor of course it included a new filter...........I knew I had to do something.....Thanks everyone for the input. Safe riding....
post #22 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Sounds like maybe bad gas.

There are probably a few additives you might add to help clean up the problem. Maybe drain the tank and put in fresh gas?
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #23 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan,

Carefull you don't break that arm...patting yourself on the back.

But then knowledge is knowledge.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #24 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 6:22 pm

I couldn't help myself.... First time to be right in a long time!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #25 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I couldn't help myself.... First time to be right in a long time!
Dan, gotta tell ya, your solution was the easiest and clearly the cheapest even with gas at $4.00 a gallon up here. Had to try yours first,

thanks again everybody.....A GREAT FORUM MADE POSSIBLE, ONLY WITH GREAT PEOPLE.

Larry M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in