2005 K1200LT Will Not Start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Angry 2005 K1200LT Will Not Start

I have a 2005 K1200LT with about 8K miles on it and I took it out for a short ride the other day and had a problem. I was riding and had a very difficult time shifting gears - seemed like I had a broken clutch cable. I got home and checked and the cable seems to be fine and there is plenty of fluid as well. I tried to start the bike and got nothing - no sound at all - battery seems to be fine and lights are on brightly. I hear a noise when the ignition is on and I apply the front or rear brake - is this normal or is there a cut-off/relay switch that is keeping the bike from turning over?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, as I want to get back out on the road.

Thank you.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 8:40 am

Re: 2005 K1200LT Will Not Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD
I have a 2005 K1200LT with about 8K miles on it and I took it out for a short ride the other day and had a problem. I was riding and had a very difficult time shifting gears - seemed like I had a broken clutch cable. I got home and checked and the cable seems to be fine and there is plenty of fluid as well. I tried to start the bike and got nothing - no sound at all - battery seems to be fine and lights are on brightly. I hear a noise when the ignition is on and I apply the front or rear brake - is this normal or is there a cut-off/relay switch that is keeping the bike from turning over?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, as I want to get back out on the road.

Thank you.

Larry
Not positive about this, butt - at least check it out - that the reverser knob is fully rotated forward. Hope the final solution isn't costly and you get back on the road soon. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 8:41 am

Of course, my first thought is to make sure you didn't hit the emergency kill on the right grip. Other than that, I'm not sure.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Not positive about this, butt - at least check it out - that the reverser knob is fully rotated forward. Hope the final solution isn't costly and you get back on the road soon. Good luck.
I have tried that and still nothing - thanks anyway.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
Of course, my first thought is to make sure you didn't hit the emergency kill on the right grip. Other than that, I'm not sure.............
Yes, I tried that and nothing - thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 8:50 am

Quote:
I have tried that and still nothing - thanks anyway.
Give all the usual suspects a try.. Reverser in the normal position, kill switch to RUN, and bike in NEUTRAL.. Last.. check battery voltage.. if under 11volts I believe the starter relay interlock will prevent the pick of the starter.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Give all the usual suspects a try.. Reverser in the normal position, kill switch to RUN, and bike in NEUTRAL.. Last.. check battery voltage.. if under 11volts I believe the starter relay interlock will prevent the pick of the starter.
Another thought would be related to an alarm system, if your bike has one.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 9:40 am

Larry,

first of all, your bike does not have a clutch cable. Your clutch is hydraulic and the handlebar cylinder operates a slave cylinder down in the gearbox which again operates the clutch plate through a push rod. If you say, "you had difficult time shifting gears" do you mean your clutch does not release properly. If you are standing still on first (or any gear), does the clucth disengage the engine from the gearbox when you pull the lever or do you feel the bike wants to move forward? If these are symptoms, your slave cylinder in the clutch system is giving up.
As long as the clutch fluid does not contaminate your dry clutch plates the fix is relatively easy and you can find very good instructions for that. Also if your bike does not have the famous weep hole drilled that should be done at the same time.

As for the starting problems: The sound that you hear when pulling the brake is the servo unit. Another sound that usually can be heard is the fuel pump shortly running and creating the pressure for the fuel injection system.
Still you can have a dead battery. If you have an extra (car) battery available and jumper cables try to start with that. Or use your car as a power source. If your bike starts with the extra battery then you know that you'll need new. If not, then we need more brainstorming...
Just make sure you know how to connect the jumper cables...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Larry,

first of all, your bike does not have a clutch cable. Your clutch is hydraulic and the handlebar cylinder operates a slave cylinder down in the gearbox which again operates the clutch plate through a push rod. If you say, "you had difficult time shifting gears" do you mean your clutch does not release properly. If you are standing still on first (or any gear), does the clucth disengage the engine from the gearbox when you pull the lever or do you feel the bike wants to move forward? If these are symptoms, your slave cylinder in the clutch system is giving up.
As long as the clutch fluid does not contaminate your dry clutch plates the fix is relatively easy and you can find very good instructions for that. Also if your bike does not have the famous weep hole drilled that should be done at the same time.

As for the starting problems: The sound that you hear when pulling the brake is the servo unit. Another sound that usually can be heard is the fuel pump shortly running and creating the pressure for the fuel injection system.
Still you can have a dead battery. If you have an extra (car) battery available and jumper cables try to start with that. Or use your car as a power source. If your bike starts with the extra battery then you know that you'll need new. If not, then we need more brainstorming...
Just make sure you know how to connect the jumper cables...

Regards
Thanks for all the info. I just bought a new battery and am charging it - will see if that fixes the problem.
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 6:07 pm

If you were having shifting problems make sure you are in neutral and it indicates properly in the display. If the side stand is down or the transmission neutral switch is not properly activated that will also block the starter from turning over.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I just bought a new battery and am charging it - will see if that fixes the problem.

Still no luck, even with a new battery fully charged. I guess I will have to call my dealer and find out the bad news. Thanks for your help and advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in