How to price a K-1200LT for sale - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 5:28 am Thread Starter

How to price a K-1200LT for sale

I have a 2008 Blue BMW K-1200-LT motorcycle, with around 3,700 miles, that I bought new (with about $3,500 worth of accessories) for $23,824. The accessories include two helmets with intercom/audio system, integral highway pegs, passenger floor boards, passenger arm rests, three pieces of soft luggage, tank bag, and BMW/Garmin GPS. The online Kelly Blue Book, before considering the low-mileage and accessories, shows $14,530 suggested retail. It has always been garaged and is in excellent shape. My reason for selling is...my wife has become deathly afraid of motorcycles and will not ride with me (which is funny considering she is fine flying with me). After two of our riding acquaintances lost their lives to distracted auto drivers, she WILL NOT change her mind.
Can anyone assist me with what would be a fair asking/taking price?
Thanks, Steve (Ocala, FL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 5:58 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: How to price a K-1200LT for sale

Start with NADA or Kelly blue book to get average price. Then check to see what Lt's are selling for in your area. Cycle Trader , Craigslist or other places like that will help on the price. The main thing is if you want to sell fast then price it just below the average price. If you not in a hurry to sell or "NEED" a "payoff" amount then ask more. I know this is not a "Clear" answer but prices very so much from area to area & to different parts of the country.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:30 am

Also take a look at the dealers in your region. They quite often have used inventory listings on their web sites.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:50 am

Steve,

NADA lists an '08 for $14,670. Between accessories and low miles....$1K more is reasonable.

Good luck..

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 9:50 am

When I became interested in the LT the pricing was 12k for an 05 and rose 1k for each year newer. There seemed to be a 2k jump between 08 and 09 and they were listed at 17k
I would think due to still having a factory warranty.

That doesn't indicate that's what they are getting, just the listing price.

Accessories usually don't add a lot but it can sell the bike if someone is comparing the same model year and pricing.

The market is starting to flood with LT's due to the K1600 and the end of the riding season.

If I was to sell my 08 I would ask between 14 and 15 but that's not going to happen.
I finally found the perfect bike, 1600's be damned.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looking at other listings on cycletrader and considering my low miles and accessories, I guess I will ask $15,950 and be willing to come down some. Cheers, Steve.
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 5:57 am
cws

Garage

Come down to OZ with it, I'll give you $15k.....
It'd probably be worth $25k over here...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 10 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 2:48 pm

You might consider finding a new riding partner and keep the bike. It has worked for me! My wife stays home or finds something fun for her to do while my passenger and I ride.

Works great for all concerned.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 3:14 pm

With all due respect, I see that you start by are reviewing what you paid for the equipment. That is totally irrelevant to the current sale price. Accessories also have little effect on the sale price and you would do better to strip off any farkles and sell them separately.

The K1200LT is an abandoned product in the BMW line and depreciation is building. If you really want to sell it, price it lower than your competition and move it out. $12,000 today beats the heck out of $7,000 three years from now.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
With all due respect, I see that you start by are reviewing what you paid for the equipment. That is totally irrelevant to the current sale price. Accessories also have little effect on the sale price and you would do better to strip off any farkles and sell them separately.

The K1200LT is an abandoned product in the BMW line and depreciation is building. If you really want to sell it, price it lower than your competition and move it out. $12,000 today beats the heck out of $7,000 three years from now.
This is what I was going to suggest. I have always come out more ahead by selling the farkles separately.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in