'00 K12LT ABS Lights Strage Phenom... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

'00 K12LT ABS Lights Strage Phenom...

Hi All,

I noticed a strange phenomenon on my '00 K12LT and I wanted to get some input from the group. In the last year I have had my ABS Lights come on and do the alternating blink 3 times, most recently twice in one day which caused me to notice the pattern. When it has occured they have always reset after restarting the bike.

When the lights have come on I am travelling on I-80 West of Orland Park, IL, it has happened once travelling East and twice travelling West. The last time it occurred I drove 5 -10 miles until it was safe to pull to the shoulder, turned the bike off, turned it back on and the lights stayed off the rest of the day which caused me to think, Huh!

I am thinking there is some kind of RFI / EMI interferrence in that area which triggers the lights. Thoughts? (beyond, don't drive there )

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:43 pm

Re: '00 K12LT ABS Lights Strage Phenom...

Hi Mike, change your rear brake pads and it wont come back anymore.
Mostly is the brake fluid level in the secondary circle to low. If you use the bike everything will heath up and expand, also your brake fluid and after a few miles you have the level that everything works and the warning light will go off. So if you change your pads the level in this circuit will come higher and solve the problem.

Manfred
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 1:07 pm

Or check your fluid levels, esp the rear reservoir.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 1:20 pm

The other option could be a weak battery.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
The other option could be a weak battery.
From what I've gathered here, low battery causes the lights to remain flashing right after start-up because there is not enough voltage to perform the self-diagnostic properly. It doesn't seem like that should affect a bike cruising along down the highway.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 3:11 pm

Strange indeed.
The '00 K12LT has ABS II, and doesn't care what your brake fluid level is (unless one of your reservoirs is empty). Low battery ? I don't know if that affects ABS II.
? I have had the "wig wag" lights, and they would not reset by themselves.
I'm going with your EMI theory.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Had the same problem last summer caused by a leaky front shock. The oil caused debris to collect on the abs pickup and also got into the electrical connector. Cleaned it and the rear sensor up and checked the gap on the rear sensor. All is now well. I would clean everything up and make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. By the way, on your system the wig-wag lights indicate a system fault. Low battery voltage is indicated by a steady light. Either will reset once the problem is no longer present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 8:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Usually only a low battery condition will self reset on the ABS II system All other faults require a "reset" action to clear the lights. And true ABS II does not monitor the fluid levels - you have to do that your self.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:33 am

There is definitely a lot of RFI crap in that area but it is likely the aforementioned causes. If you cant figure it out and want to drive it up here to Crystal Lake I will be glad to have a look at it with you.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #10 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:35 am

[QUOTE=jello4]Hi All,

When the lights have come on I am travelling on I-80 West of Orland Park, IL, it has happened once travelling East and twice travelling West.

-Mike[/QUOT

Try going north - south.......damn magnetic flux and all ....ya know?

You've gotten some good "real" advice....good luck sorting it out.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I do appreciate the input, this is the best darn place to come for real experience and advice!

-Mike
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:18 pm

Garage

A day late... But +1.. Barbara would flash me every once in a while. the first time (In Reno, NV) scared the piss out of me. Pulled to the side, shut her off and they stayed off until I got back home. Looking around, I noticed a fork seal had given out and gunked up the sensor side, cleaned it off and did not have the issue again... (until it gunked over again!) never did replace that seal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Had the same problem last summer caused by a leaky front shock. The oil caused debris to collect on the abs pickup and also got into the electrical connector. Cleaned it and the rear sensor up and checked the gap on the rear sensor. All is now well. I would clean everything up and make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. By the way, on your system the wig-wag lights indicate a system fault. Low battery voltage is indicated by a steady light. Either will reset once the problem is no longer present.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks Hoss~

I actually cleaned my bike a few weeks back and the ABS sensors were clean. The first time it happened, of course I freaked but I checked the sensor pickup at that time and they were okay. I will check them, of course, but I am reasonable sure they are still clean as there was no debris at that time...

I live in IL, so my riding season is drawing to a close. I am planning on taking the tupperware off over the winter and giving her a once over, including fluids and checking the valves. I will have an opportunity to, if nothing else, to check her out and spend some quality time in the off season.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in