FL trip 11/1-11/16 by myself - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Talking FL trip 11/1-11/16 by myself

Hi All,

I live in NW MO and shortly after buying my used '03 LT about 5 years ago, I've wanted to ride it to FL. It's been on my bucket list quite awhile.
I'm 71 years young and thought I could do it OK as I like to ride and around here in MO a lot. I ride all year on days that the road sufaces are OK for a cycle.

Anyway, my friend Laton, gave me a 3 day perfect weather window on 11/1. I was pretty sure I could ride the 1500 miles in 3 days even by taking 2 lane roads part of the time. Going down, I accomplished that riding on RT 19 south through MO and avoided Memphis crossing the river on I-155. Wondered my way cattywompus south through Alabama with super riding in the tall pines and winding roads. YeeHaa. Arriving on I-10 in the FL panhandle, then I-75 on down to Avon Park, FL.
Never met one beemer LT.
Rode about 900 miles in central FL through orange groves, around Okachobee lake, up and down rt 441, a day on the coast on rt A1A, visited my sister, and then headed back north on the 14th.
Again my buddy Laton gave me a weather 3 day window, but with a 40% chance of rain for last tuesday the 15th of november and boy was he right. The first night heading north I spent near Birmingham. Tuesday morning was looking good, but since I chose to ride the interstates coming home, I rounded Memphis around noon and as soon as I was out of the city, the cats and dogs came falling out of the sky. 6 inch rain, they told me later! Lots of trucks were stirring up such a mess that after getting to the exit for Iceola, Arkansas, I gave up and got a Motel, took a nap, and got ready for the last stretch home on wednesday. 9 hours later (I starterd at daylight) I rolled into my driveway around 4 PM near King City, MO.
What a great 4000 mile trip. LT gave me no hassles at all. What a great bike.

Just thought I'd let what most of you already know and that is that this LT is a wonderfull touring bike.
I hope I didn't bore anyone....if I did, I'm sorry!
Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Smile Re: FL trip 11/1-11/16 by myself

Great post Vern.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #3 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Re: FL trip 11/1-11/16 by myself

Congratulations for your trip. May as well ride it' 'till you can and you are surprisingly tough for a mature guy. Those were long hours in the saddle.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Way to go VERN!!!!!

Wish I could get away to do that more often! And, you're right about the bike. I could never ride as many miles on another kind.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Garage

What an awesome ride! You are a true inspiration for us pups.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: FL trip 11/1-11/16 by myself

Yes, it was long hours in the saddle, but I only rode in the daylight.

Guess I was just anxious to see what was around the next curve or over the next hill. It was just plain fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheap GPS kept me on the right track.

On the big road, the cruise is really nice as I can switch hands, butt cheeks, slide front to back on the seat and the bead seat helps me massage my butt as well. Coffee, bottled electrolite water, and gas is all I needed. LOL

Sure beats the hell out of golf! Well, that's just my opinion.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Great post young man! When it's raining cats and dogs it is hard to figure out where the weather liars got the 40% number!

4,000 miles is a tremendous feat! Congratulations,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 5:16 am

Now you know what all the fuss is about....

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 6:51 am

Hi Vern,

It was really nice to read about your trip ( I think that we all have a way of inserting ourselves in someones trip when we read about it) and the ride through my adopted home state. There are a lot of things that I love about Florida and I do have the ability to live just about anywhere I want to, but unfortunately, riding a motorcycle is not high on my list here. I really am glad that you came down and hope that you and many others will continue to ride here.

I do ride it just about every day, as it's my primary mode of transportation, and look forward to just about every moment on her, but I honestly have to say that the best part of riding in, as some say FLATLorida is when I am heading north and I cross the FL/GA state line.

There are nice and fun places to ride, but I don't think that Florida will ever be come a destination place to ride. It's a great place to live and visit, but the roads are just too FLAT an STRAIGHT to really get the inherent fun out of a motorcycle.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: FL trip 11/1-11/16 by myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Hi Vern,

It was really nice to read about your trip ( I think that we all have a way of inserting ourselves in someones trip when we read about it) and the ride through my adopted home state. There are a lot of things that I love about Florida and I do have the ability to live just about anywhere I want to, but unfortunately, riding a motorcycle is not high on my list here. I really am glad that you came down and hope that you and many others will continue to ride here.

I do ride it just about every day, as it's my primary mode of transportation, and look forward to just about every moment on her, but I honestly have to say that the best part of riding in, as some say FLATLorida is when I am heading north and I cross the FL/GA state line.

There are nice and fun places to ride, but I don't think that Florida will ever be come a destination place to ride. It's a great place to live and visit, but the roads are just too FLAT an STRAIGHT to really get the inherent fun out of a motorcycle.
Dano,
Yep, you are right about the straight and flat roads in FL, but I had to ride them anyway. I did find a couple rides right around Avon Park that had some curves in it and very little traffic. Glad I made the circle around Lake Okachobee on a Sunday as I didn't have to drive the 45 MPH they suggested for trucks coming and going as they weren't working on Sundays. My avatar pic has the lake in the background. I had to prove to my MO friends that I was actually there. LOL
I did call a couple of phone numbers in the anomynous book, but got no answer so didn't meet with any local BMW riders to exchange lies with while in the area. LOL

I wasn't sure my post was worth posting, but glad a few of you noticed.

Thanks all,
Vern

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 10:52 am

Hi Vern, nice and interesting thread. Makes me more confident in my scheduled trip for next Year in May. Bought an LT close to San Francisco we will go from Northern California down to LA and then over to the east coast, Fl. including Las Vegas, Grand Canyon part of Route 66 and other interesting parts. Looking forward to this event can't wait anymore.
Thanks for your thread.

Manfred
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:46 pm

Thanks for your post, Vern. Always nice to hear of someone on the road to adventure! Get to kinda' vicariously ride along....

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in