K1200LT ABS Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Angry K1200LT ABS Problems

Hi guys it's Steve from OZ, & i;m pissed off, i love my 2001LT ive owned 2, & 8 beemers in total, after having a 60k $955,done at a dealership in ballina NSW, the abs lights flashed within half an hour, i took it back a week later, they couldn't find the fault, so with 700kms [gentle & experimentel] since the service the front brakes jammed on & as soon as i found a spot to land, gravel, the front wheel locked up i slide upright for 4m then layed it over & dropped it, **** i was ******* Mad, it was taken by a tow truck to a Professional Dealer Morgan & Wacker on QLD's gold coast, they were Fantastic & didnt charge me a thing, what i learnt was Wheel-brake cylinder pressure to high in relation to control pressure, BMW OZ have wiped their hands of me saying, we dont want anything to do with a 10 year old motorcycle, i have a quote from M&W for $3,800 to replace the pump for the braking system, what upsets me is it has been perfect until i had the 60K service done & asked the guy if the brake pads needed changing, he said no, front & rear, i carry spare pads with me & i new that they were getting skinny.
Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Re: K1200LT ABS Problems

Hey there steve !
Good to meet you.
what year is your LT ? If it's an early model, with ABS II, then you need to read this....
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...orks+abs+reset
And don't jam on your brakes in the loose stuff (unless you're sure the ABS is working right)
Good luck to you. ..............The reset procedure worked good for me.
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Thankyou for your quick response my friend, please slow down & reread my post, you will see that i have explained already that my LT is a 2001 Model also i did not jam the brakes on in the gravel they were on already due to the faulty ABS, i had Reduced Power due to the ABS brake Failure,Jamming on the Front Brakes!!!! what i'm trying to sort out is, do i have a claim for repairs, as the ABS was fine when i took it in for a service & F***** when i picked it up, i truly beleive that the guys in Ballina are incompetent..
Sorry if i have misled anyone re Jada, she is my Grandaughter & has already claimed the LT & suggested i get on this Forum
Cheers Steve

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Welcome aboard, Steve. Your 2001 LT could have the ABSII brakes or the Integrated brakes, depends on what month it was made and what's on the calipers. If they say "Brembo" you have ABSII. If they say "BMW" you have the integrated power assisted brakes. Sorry to hear of your trouble with the dealership. From your description of how your brakes locked up and you dropped the LT, I couldn't tell how it happened either. If I understand what happened, you gently squeezed the brake lever, the ABS pump came on with too much force, and caused the wheel to lock up and the bike to go down. Is that correct? I don't recall seeing this situation before, but I'm sure someone here will and will post up about it soon.

Good luck with your replacement.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 9:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When your ABS light is on then you have no ABS. Were you looking to "test" the ABS and intentionally jammed the brakes hard? Certainly that would explain the slide on the gravel, or are you saying the brake lever became extra sensitive? Either way without knowing the cause of the ABS fault, it's probably impossible to tell if the dealer caused the issue. If they worked on the brakes (did they bleed them?) then maybe you can hold them responsible but if you intentionally jammed on the brakes in the gravel to see if the ABS was working then I would say you have some liability as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 8:16 am

I often wondered if my antilock is really working ?
I have a 2003 and had occasion when the ABS light came on and obviously I had just marginal brakes, had to pull the lever pretty hard to bring the bike to a stop---than on the next stop, the light went out just as I was braking, the power assist kicked in and I almost flew off the bike. Sounds similar, doesn't it?
My lesson was, to be extremely careful if the ABS light is on.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 8:34 pm

I currently have an ABS II problem and I have done quite a bit of research on ABS II. However I have read that one of the ways a power assisted systems in the later bike can indicate a fault and have it reset without intervention is with low brake fluid. Check your fluid levels and make sure they are not marginal. The level is very sensitive.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Nov 20th, 2011 at 8:35 pm. Reason: spellin and wording
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 5:46 pm

I hope this is rare, hard to believe that the servo brake system can shut down from a fault then reset without a key cycle. If true I can see this being a bad thing.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 8:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think he means you had to take no additional action to reset the fault once the cause was rectified. This is normal for the Integral system. It self clears once the fault is fixed. The ABS II requires a reset action even after the fault is repaired.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in