Big guy + LT + commute - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Big guy + LT + commute

I'm coming from a 750 lb Honda VTX (with rider and load, easily 1100 lbs worth of stuff) and want some more comfort. I found my primary use is a 44 mile commute. I've stood on an LT and while the CG might be a little higher, it didn't seem any more or less manageable. Being 6'6" and 250 lbs might have something to do with that.

One of the few complaints I've read about was how the LT drove in stop n go traffic. Understanding that a reviewer doesn't learn the ins and outs of every bike out there, and has to write SOMETHING as a negative....do you find those complaints accurate?

Do any of you commute on your LT, and how do you find that experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Re: Big guy + LT + commute

I don't commute but knew that the leg room would be an issue, installed the suburban peg lowering kit and it helped a lot.

6-4 and 245lbs
post #3 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:11 pm

I commute about 60 miles round trip a day on my LT (most days). I am, however, smaller...about 5'10" and 175lbs. I do not find the stop and go an issue when I run into it...which is rarely ever honestly. I actually find the ride quite enjoyable at any speed. I have taken some time in a parking lot with some cones and some techniques garnered from "Ride Like a Pro" DVDs and am MUCH more comfortable with low speed maneuvering. I have also ridden a friends 1800 VTX and found it much more difficult to handle at low speeds compared to my LT...but that was well after I really got used to my bike.

In all honestly...you really won't know by any comment posted here. Find an LT to borrow for a day or even a few miles. Most BMW Dealerships will grant a test ride...the test ride is what sold me as I was nervous making the switch from the cruiser world over to the LT World.

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm

I commute regularly on my current LT and have no issues doing so. Stop and go traffic presents no problems to me aboard the LT.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #5 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Sounds about like I'd expect. The bike I sat on had the seat in the upper position, and the stuff I've seen available for highway pegs look like they'd take care of the ONLY thing I think I'd miss from the VTX (a 1300). The peg locations on the LT seemed doable out of the box.
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I'm 6'2", 240 lbs, commute daily on my LT in a stop-go, suburban, urban environment. Works just fine. Radio news along the way is a nice touch.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #7 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I commuted 80 miles round trip on the LT for a few years and loved it.
I traded in a VTX on the LT BTW.
You're the third person I've heard do that...Wonder if it qualifies as a demographic?

The X was the littlest big bike I could get into that I didn't look goofy on...and really, I can't complain about any aspect of the bike. I'd keep it if I could, but there's not enough discretionary income to have two bikes.
post #8 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 3:34 pm

I regularly commute 41 miles each way. I am 5'9", 250, with no issues. I have a friend who was 6'6" and about your weight, and he often rode back and forth to job sites with no problems. Actually, the LT is one of the few bikes that will actually fit someone of your height.
post #9 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 3:59 pm

I'm 5'11'' 170lbs and have my seat up and suburban lower pegs. I don't commute but buy a lot of groceries Stop and go is tedious but only because I hate traffic so much anyway. I've used my kids Honda 919 occasionally and as much as I like it, you can't really carry a few gallons of milk, 2 cases of soda, an assortment of Hot Pockets and loaf of bread. Considering my monthly run for our favorite BBQ which is 350 miles round trip, I'll happily keep my LT.
post #10 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky
an assortment of Hot Pockets
Isn't that like a Pop Tart filled with nasty meat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Isn't that like a Pop Tart filled with nasty meat?
Don't open a thawed (but not cooked) hot pocket. It's like that saying about "Never meeting your heroes".

Weird white cubes that aren't cheese yet.
post #12 of 20 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Don't open a thawed (but not cooked) hot pocket. It's like that saying about "Never meeting your heroes".

Weird white cubes that aren't cheese yet.
I prefer the vegetarian hot pocket - for those of us that don't want to eat meat or dairy - but still like diarrhea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 20 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I'm 6'3" 275lbs, commute daily on my LT as I have with three prior bikes.

I live on Long Island and most of my commute is on the LIE. Otherwise known as the world's longest parking lot.

And that's only by uninformed people who don't know that the rest of the roads out here can rival the stop and go pretty much at any time. Way too crowded way too many cars.

Once you get used to it the LT is fine. Balance is not a problem. Being big probably helps. The real issue for me has never been bike specific. Pick legs up put them down pick them up repeat 5000 times. Legs get sore.A few thousand reps on the clutch aren't so much fun either.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #14 of 20 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 8:08 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpond
Once you get used to it the LT is fine. Balance is not a problem. Being big probably helps. The real issue for me has never been bike specific. Pick legs up put them down pick them up repeat 5000 times. Legs get sore.A few thousand reps on the clutch aren't so much fun either.
Nothing like a good workout on the way to work or home

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 20 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

It was 42 this morning. I bundled up with everything I owned and got on my non-heated, non-windshielded vtwin...it was dark when I headed home and stop-n-go the full way.

Not my favorite commute.
post #16 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:18 am

the relocated floorboards, sold on this site could be ur answer.
post #17 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:41 am

I have these relocated floorboards, and I can say they definately offer a more comfortable riding position. They are slightly lowered and forward and the angle is slightly forward. That being said, there are a couple downsides: one that has been mentioned on this site already, that they will scrape if you get aggressive. I do and they do. The second is that the better riding position also changes the angle of your feet. For riding comfort, this is a good thing. However, they tend to scope more air than if your feet were riding on the peg alone. Not so bad in dry summer weather when more air is good. But in cold or wet weather your feet take on more of the elements. At first this was an issue for me and I took them off. One day back on the stock pegs and I put them back on. They are so much more comfortable that I'll deal with wet, cold feet and scraping them occaisionally. FYI, 6'; 225 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr
the relocated floorboards, sold on this site could be ur answer.

'15 GTLE

post #18 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 8:17 pm

I comute 44 miles each day on the LT in dense peak hour traffic both ways. I am 6'7" and 220lbs. I have regular seat in either high or low position and regular pegs. That time on the bike is not enough to cause comfort issues, not that I get them anyway on the LT, except general discomfort on long days (12+ hours).

I also lane split a lot which can be challenging on the LT in the narrower lanes down here in NZ compared to the macadamic real-eastate available in CA where I regularly commuted last.

If you can't lane split (which I don't believe you can) then the LT is as good as any other bike. If you can lane split then the LT is OK in most ways except when you 'block the passage' and have to wait it out jammed up a couple of inches from the trucks and cages.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #19 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 7:48 am

I will be re-listing my set of "Darius" relocated and lower driver floorboards later today in the classifieds if any are interested. Back in august I thought I had them sold but they did not. If you want them, check there or PM me.
The relocation definitely decreases your workout!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #20 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 6:30 pm

I am 6'5" 275. I have the suburban lower pegs and seat cushion. No hip cramps now. If I need to.... I extend legs over the wings. Eazy to do with our long legs.
I just dumped my bike leaving my garage. The extended suburb pegs dug in black top coiled up and split the foot rest plate in two. Also foot rest broke off. 500 in damage. Do not think this would happen if pegs were in stock position. Puttin back to stock. If some one wants to buy my surburban lower peg kit let me know.
I will increase air my cushion to get some more height.

Hulkster

Hulkster 2002 BMW K1200LTE "Hulkster Green"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in