Wanna see the guts of your starter relay? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Wanna see the guts of your starter relay?

I work in the industrial electronics field so I took my failed starter relay in to work to test it. Strangely enough it tested as OPEN instead of closed. I have another one coming from MAX BMW so I thought I would tear it open and take a look inside. EEEEKS! This is like no relay I have ever seen! Look at the pics!

Talk about over-engineered! My boss tripped out on this thing then, showing his smarts, he GUESSED why it was designed this way. Anyway, this relay was failed due to, essentially, an overworked contactor. Very black and worn. Anyway, thought you all might be interested why these things are so expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Wanna see the guts of your starter relay?

Thanks for the pictures.

I had the starter relay out of a '86 K100 & was able to file the points on it & put it back in. I put a Ford car starter relay in & had he BMW starter relay trigger the Ford relay. On the older style relay, if you had a low battery. You could have the points stick in the relay. Then the bike keeps on cranking, even if you take the key out. On the relay you have it will not let that happen. It has a look see the the available voltage, if it no likey...it will not engage.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 7:16 pm

I'm going to assume that's all the protection circuitry involved in keeping the relay from energizing when the voltage is low....

What a mess...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I'm going to assume that's all the protection circuitry involved in keeping the relay from energizing when the voltage is low....

What a mess...

John
Exactly right/ It looks for what it needs to see or no activation of the relay. Nice but way over engineered like many BMW (German) products.

post #5 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Garage

Is this the same starter relay that operates the starter motor to engage the reverse function? If so, I can imagine it could take quite a beating.
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 8:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmclay
Exactly right/ It looks for what it needs to see or no activation of the relay. Nice but way over engineered like many BMW (German) products.
You are confusing over featured with "over engineered." A device with more features than it needs is "under engineered." The essence of engineering is having just what is needed and nothing more. It takes MORE engineering to refine something to its essence. If a device has more stuff than it needs, then it needs MORE engineering, not less. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Garage

Enineering evaluation:

The glass is not "half full"
The glass is not "half empty"

The glass is the wrong size!
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachZTT
Enineering evaluation:

The glass is not "half full"
The glass is not "half empty"

The glass is the wrong size!
Bingo!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure this is an interesting take on the observational aspect of research. Specifically the Schrodinger's Cat question and the glass half something conclusion. In actuality there is a point, observable or not, where it is one and not the other. The relay seeks to quantify a state of being and predicate an action based on that state. The fact that it does so effectively and consistently to avoid problems without prior knowledge of quantum mechanics should be celebrated; I know I do.
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 6:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachZTT
Is this the same starter relay that operates the starter motor to engage the reverse function? If so, I can imagine it could take quite a beating.
No all control of the starter is from the reverser controller during the reverse operation. It is also at a reduced voltage or you would go back wards quite fast if the starter operated at full voltage in reverse.

Those two little pesky switches behind the reverser knob are what transfers control (the signal from the starter button) from the starter relay to the reverser controller.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Ahh, John, this (possibly) answers a previous question I asked on the forum as to why my '05 will not drive up over a small (2" high) kurb in reverse. Even with the huge gearing reduction, if the starter operates at reduced voltage then I guess the result is reduced torque, which would explain it. No one alluded to the reduced voltage fact at the time. I couldn't tell weather the motor stalled out or something was slipping, but I've since seen in exloded views that there appears to be no safety clutch in the reverse drive system so I guess the motor was stalled, not good.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Garage

Thanks John. That makes much more sense. I am still a noob.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Sorry to hear about Schroeder's cat!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky
I'm pretty sure this is an interesting take on the observational aspect of research. Specifically the Schrodinger's Cat question and the glass half something conclusion. In actuality there is a point, observable or not, where it is one and not the other. The relay seeks to quantify a state of being and predicate an action based on that state. The fact that it does so effectively and consistently to avoid problems without prior knowledge of quantum mechanics should be celebrated; I know I do.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2011, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
You are confusing over featured with "over engineered." A device with more features than it needs is "under engineered." The essence of engineering is having just what is needed and nothing more. It takes MORE engineering to refine something to its essence. If a device has more stuff than it needs, then it needs MORE engineering, not less. :-)
Point well-made, Voyager!

post #15 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Looks like a govern-mental justification schematic... Probably created several jobs..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in