ABS II problem after reset and modulator clean - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

ABS II problem after reset and modulator clean

All this season I have had issues with my '01 ABS II going failed with a '016 Piston Fault'. I have 95K on the ODO and I have owned the bike for the last 9 years. I installed the pin 21 wire on the ABS cable from a previous thread and was able to reset the fault and used the bike for most of the summer with no issues. After about 3K miles (two months), from the initial reset, I had a fault again while on way to CCR in Boise. My riding partner to CCR, billd, brought along his GS 911 and we were able to reset the fault numerous times but it would always work first thing in the morning but fail on the next startup. I'm not sure if it was startup diagnostic or runtime failure, however I noticed the wigwag pretty early after getting underway from a restart, never after the first run in the morning after a fault reset at end of day..

I decided to attempt the procedure to clean the pistons in the ABS unit using the reset procedure from here . I made the 22 MM tool and proceeded to do the repair. I took a lot of pictures so I could remember all the details, should something go wrong. Lot of particles in both the front and back circuits but I could not find any dirty smudges on the pistons or see anything out of order in the cylinders accept the back circuit had trash at the bottom of the cylinder for the ABS piston.

After completing the reconnect of all the parts I was able to reset the diagnostic error (seven pulses) on pin 2 in the Motronic connector, which I had not successfully done over the last month since returning from Boise. I tried multiple times on multiple occasions. I was very happy to say the least.

I took the LT out for a test ride and I was able to get the rear circuit to pulse and activate the ABS however since it was dark I did not want to try the front circuit for obvious reasons. I rode back home and decided I would turn off the LT and restart and try another ride off. I turned on the key and the startup diagnostic gave me correct simultaneous flash. I let the clutch out and within 3 feet I heard a clunk and I got wigwag ABS lights. I reset the fault again and got the normal simultaneous flash of the ABS warning light. This time I did not touch the brakes before I restarted any forward motion, before or after, the initial diagnostic. Again within three feet I got the clunk and the wigwag.

I again reset the wigwag and this time I will wait for morning to try to make it fail looking carefully at the failure points. I will also try to attempt to use the front ABS circuit if I can find a good spot to do it safely.

Since I don't have a GS 911 to get the exact fault I'm looking for a guess form anyone that has had a similar problem (clunk in three feet and wigwag indication) or someone with knowledge of what is done within the first few feet. My battery is fine, I did new brake lines in early 2010, I have changed the brake fluid numerous times over the years to avoid this sort of thing. However, I have not looked at the gaps on the sensors, I will do that tomorrow as I'm done for the night. The fact that it works for many miles on initial startup would lead me to believe that they are good but warm up could be causing the gap to change and they might tighten the pulse specs during initial startup runtime. The wheel does get warm.

This appears to me to be a symptom change because I could not reset the fault for the last two months. I may have had two problems.

Any comments?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Re: ABS II problem after reset and modulator clean

Mine basically did the same thing. I flushed the brake fluid, and reset the default with a 911 code reader. It worked for the first 5000 miles or so, then the default came back, and I would reset it, and each time the default would come back, until finally I could never reset it. Replacing the unit with a new one was out of the question, since the repair would be only slightly less that the bike is worth. The good news it, I can continue to ride the bike since he brakes work great--just not the ABS brakes. On the newer Servo bikes, once the unit fails, the entire circuit fails. The other good news is I was able to find a used unit on the net, and we are going to tackle replacing it this winter. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Thumbs up Re: ABS II problem after reset and modulator clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
Mine basically did the same thing. I flushed the brake fluid, and reset the default with a 911 code reader. It worked for the first 5000 miles or so, then the default came back, and I would reset it, and each time the default would come back, until finally I could never reset it. Replacing the unit with a new one was out of the question, since the repair would be only slightly less that the bike is worth. The good news it, I can continue to ride the bike since he brakes work great--just not the ABS brakes. On the newer Servo bikes, once the unit fails, the entire circuit fails. The other good news is I was able to find a used unit on the net, and we are going to tackle replacing it this winter. Good luck.
hi there,
after that you replace it with a used unit,how those it works? did you have to resett it
before with the 911,was curious
thanks

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcruiser58
hi there,
after that you replace it with a used unit,how those it works? did you have to resett it
thanks
If yours is the ABS II (99-2001) and you replace the unit, as long as the rest of the bike is OK you should have no fault to reset. The fault memory is in the ABS unit. So if the replacement one had no faults you should be OK.

I went back and checked you have a 2005 unit and those will self reset once you have fixed any faults. If you replace the the unit and still get the warning then you did not get a good unit OR you have a wheel sensor out of tolerance or faulty.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcruiser58
hi there,
thanks
I replaced mine early this spring with a used one off a wreck. The odo on the wreck had only 10k original miles from a 1999 model year. It appeared to me that the dismantler had parted out the bike after the owner failed to get it on the road after trying to repair the wrecked bike and eventually lost interest.

When I activated the new to me modulator it had a fault. I read out the indicators and the fault was a wheel fault so I reset it and it came alive. I used it all summer, but did not put many miles on due to personal issues, but I did not have a problem or fault all season.

It was my opinion that good used ones are really hard to find. I would have taken a chance on a $200 one but I stopped when people were selling 'as is' for $350 to $500. In my case I paid quite a lot for mine compared to others that were available. I paid $750, and in my case, the dismantler gave me a a six months warrantee on the used part. It was their business to offer that on car parts so they didn't hesitate and were able to get a premium price and I saved a significant amount of money.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in