Took the clutch and housing out today. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Took the clutch and housing out today.

I finished the teardown on the clutch job i'm doing on the k1200lt its an 03 model with 98800 or so miles on it. After i removed the rear clutch housing and the rear main seal(output shaft seal) i noticed that i can move the output shaft in and out a little less than 1/8 inch. Is this normal? It did not move when the clutch housing was in place. I guess the clutch housing hex nut pulls this output shaft in to a thrust bearing when installed and torqued down.
The clutch had about 10 thousands left before it hit the rivets. There was some wear in three spots on the pressure plate. The diaphram spring had wear where the clutch rod goes and the outside edge of the center part of the diaphram spring showed signs of movement...I.e. shiny sport rubbed on the inner side of the diaphram spring. Found all the parts on line at Maxbmw. and compared their prices to Bob's BMW and they are exactly the same. I'm waiting untill tomorrow to call Bentonville BMW and check with them before I order. Are there any other good new parts places I should check.

Thanks "airplane"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Re: Took the clutch and housing out today.

I believe The new BMW dealership in Chicago is offering 15% discount if you call them with the part numbers. The name escapes me, I believe it is Crossroads BMW.

If you have the part numbers, can you post them or shoot me a PM? I need to do the same job here within the next week or so. Thanks!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 4:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Be careful and don't put any force on the output shaft while the housing is off. You can damage the oil/water pump unit that is at the other end. A little play here when the housing is off is normal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the Info. Will probably order parts tomorrow.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I've used MAX for a few years now. Whenever I call they go out of their way to help with parts.

I wanted to get a pair of BMW waterproof boots for my vacation in Maine. When i was headed to western mass I passed near where they are in NH.

It was Sat and it looked like I might not make it there by their closing time. When i got there it was about 15 minutes past closing. I walked up to the doors and they were locked.

Just I was about to suite up the door opened and a voice wanted to know if I needed parts?

They invited me in and spent around 20 minutes with me as I tried on different boots.

Oh. When I order parts, if they are in stock the parts usually get mailed the same day.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
I believe The new BMW dealership in Chicago is offering 15% discount if you call them with the part numbers. The name escapes me, I believe it is Crossroads BMW.

If you have the part numbers, can you post them or shoot me a PM? I need to do the same job here within the next week or so. Thanks!

I did not write the part numbers down. I just went on to Maxbmw.com and used their shopping cart and went down the list of things I need.

Use the microfish pages for the part numbers.
There is an online repair manual at scribd.com. I have used it several time this weekend to help with the trear down.
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun

Hi the name is Countryside BMW Phone # 7085889900. I talked to Javier and they give Fedex shipping for 9.00. They also gave me the 15% discount you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!

You can go thier web site and get the part number and then call them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in