Pulled the Clutch out today. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Pulled the Clutch out today.

I need ti know how much slack there is supposed to be in the gear box.

Bought this BMW k 1200lt with 98800 miles on it. The radio was out and the clutch had a clunking sound in it at idle. If the engine was idling at 1050 or above there was no noise. If the Clutch master cylinder was engaged there was less noise. My question is how much slack is there supposed to be in the gear box.I can turn the input shaft about half was around in 1st gear before the output shaft moves and there is a clunk when it does move. I think this is the clunking noise that I was hearing at idle. Can anyone help me out here. There may be worn parts in the transmission that are clunking when the engine is idling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Re: Pulled the Clutch out today.

I have a working tranny on the bench that I purchased as a spare (thought I needed to replace my tranny but I was wrong) so I tried to see if it reacted the same way yours does, This is what I found:

Regardless of whether you turn the input or output, and depending on how quick you turn it, there will be a clunk when the gear engages (it will take about a half a turn until it engages). After it engages there is no noise, and should not be a clunk. It should be smooth. You should be able to engage all gears, including reverse, with ease.

Hope this helps...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

That sounds just like what mine does. I guess that is not the clunk i heard when it was idleing. Now how do I find out what the clunking is. Can't start it now with the starter off. Any Ideas anyone.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

There was no metal on the magnetic drain plug for the tranny and the fluid looked like new. Is there a throwout bearing in the clutch some where. I can not see one on the exploded diagram for the new parts. The parts list does not list a throwout bearing. The clutch rod should ride in the throwout bearing but its not there.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 7:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It might just be the normal noise from the direct drive alternator. Mine at 155,000 miles sounds like its ready to explode.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
It might just be the normal noise from the direct drive alternator. Mine at 155,000 miles sounds like its ready to explode.
It could be the alternator drive but the noise will stay constant with or without the clutch pulled.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 7:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane
I need ti know how much slack there is supposed to be in the gear box.

Bought this BMW k 1200lt with 98800 miles on it. The radio was out and the clutch had a clunking sound in it at idle. If the engine was idling at 1050 or above there was no noise. If the Clutch master cylinder was engaged there was less noise. My question is how much slack is there supposed to be in the gear box.I can turn the input shaft about half was around in 1st gear before the output shaft moves and there is a clunk when it does move. I think this is the clunking noise that I was hearing at idle. Can anyone help me out here. There may be worn parts in the transmission that are clunking when the engine is idling
I just rebuilt a transmission and the problem was a destroyed input shaft bearing. There was a large amount of shavings on the drain plug magnet. The end play and radial movement of the input shaft did not feel like it was too much before disassembly but after all new bearings were installed it was apparent where the issues were in this transmission. If the noise was reduced after pulling in the clutch you probably on the right track where you are looking.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #8 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

There is absoultly no end play or side to side play in the tranny input shaft. There was no metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug for the tranny. I do not think I have a tranny problem the clunking must be coming from some where else. I have not actually pulled the clutch out yet. I had to stop when I got the tranny out. Tomorrow i will finish pulling and inspectig the clutch. Thanks for everyone's help this is a great site.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 10:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is what you were hearing - normal stuff in a K engine. The crank (visible) engages the output shaft (not visible) and that then drives the starter sprag/alternator drive (visible). Until a load is applied at idle these gears bang around a bit. Also known as the "K Rattle". Some are just noisier than others.

But since you are in there already the clutch is most likely half way through its life and the o-ring on the output shaft is getting ready to leak oil. Replace it with a 19x4 Viton o-ring for longer life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Innards2_original.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	33545  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Love the title of your post!

Yawn..... popped the cap off a beer today........

Pulling the gearbox means moving a lot of stuff!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Yes there was alot of stuff in the way....mostly everything behind the engine. Just a couple of scratches and one massed finger so far. I found a bad swing arm bearing on the left side. Also found that the tranny fill plug was just finger tigh. That explains the wet spot on that side of the tranny. Almost half way done. Just got to order new reai main seal, all new clutch parts drill the weep holes change the fuel and air filter and all the fluids. Then put it all back togeth. might be done in a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in