replacement O2 sensor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

replacement O2 sensor

anyone know of a aftermarrket 02 sensor for the '02 K1200LTC? 186 + shipping (for faster shipping) is kind of steep!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
anyone know of a aftermarrket 02 sensor for the '02 K1200LTC? 186 + shipping (for faster shipping) is kind of steep!

Tom
Tom - PM Edgar Tanner (eatanner). I think I saw one in a bunch of his stuff this morning. Not positive, butt he'll know; and he'll know whether or not he has it sold already. I wuzn't paying close attention when we met this morning - sorry.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Quote:

Tom
Count the wires, it is probably either 3 or 4, and get a matching Bosch Universal one with the same number of wires. The newer Bosch universal O2 sensors come with waterproof splicing connectors, you just cut the existing sensor wire and splice the new one in.

Check with your local auto parts suppliers for them.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Beemer Boneyard has new 02 Sensors for $79.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Tom - PM Edgar Tanner (eatanner). I think I saw one in a bunch of his stuff this morning. Not positive, butt he'll know; and he'll know whether or not he has it sold already. I wuzn't paying close attention when we met this morning - sorry.

Thanks, I do want a new 02 Sensor though. It's time with 116k miles on it.

Tom

post #6 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Beemer Boneyard has new 02 Sensors for $79.
Yep, that is the Bosch Universal Splice in I was talking about. Good price too! No need to look further.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Count the wires, it is probably either 3 or 4, and get a matching Bosch Universal one with the same number of wires. The newer Bosch universal O2 sensors come with waterproof splicing connectors, you just cut the existing sensor wire and splice the new one in.

Check with your local auto parts suppliers for them.
Thanks David do you happen to know the resistance compared to the voltage range on the sensor on these, heck it;s been so long since I have fooled with this stuff I forget the common values

shoot i completlyhhosed up what i meant to type (brain doesn;t seem to get the finger to do what I meant them to do sometimes <g>)

Anyhow what I meant
do you know the resistance value of the 02 sensors? do you know what the voltage rise should be at what temp, i can;t find anything on them any where like back in the old days <g>

Tom

Last edited by tmgs; Mar 14th, 2006 at 5:00 pm.
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Thanks David do you happen to know the resistance compared to the voltage range on the sensor on these, heck it;s been so long since I have fooled with this stuff I forget the common values
I never checked one. Just replaced them when the ECU codes say they are needed. Replaced the one on my 525i about 6 months ago, and recently had to replace the two "Pre-Cat" ones on the 740iL. That car still has two more "After-Cat" ones, but they are not giving me codes yet.

Question: I have not heard of anyone with an LT ever replacing the O2 sensor. Why do you feel you need to?

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:38 pm

O2 Sensor

I replaced mine after 100k because the info on the Robert Bosch site said in effect 100k was all she wrote. Total waste of time and money, IMHO, because it made no difference in running and/or fuel economy. So once again, David is correct.
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvRead
I replaced mine after 100k because the info on the Robert Bosch site said in effect 100k was all she wrote. Total waste of time and money, IMHO, because it made no difference in running and/or fuel economy. So once again, David is correct.

just to let you know, your sensor could have been bad and you never know it, the computer will make up the difference in a slightly degraded 02 sensor. not saying yoru was bad but without knowing the values and actuually testing it there is no way to say good or bad

Tom

post #11 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I never checked one. Just replaced them when the ECU codes say they are needed. Replaced the one on my 525i about 6 months ago, and recently had to replace the two "Pre-Cat" ones on the 740iL. That car still has two more "After-Cat" ones, but they are not giving me codes yet.

Question: I have not heard of anyone with an LT ever replacing the O2 sensor. Why do you feel you need to?
just because of years doing drivability, 02 sensors are known to break down over time, heck it used to be very common to replace them about every 30k miles, but most won't know it unless they actually test the 02 sensor by heating them to certain degrees and reading the voltage output at various temps, or finding no continuity in them.

I forget the temps vs voltage readings anymore though, and I gave most all my books away after my accident. 02 sensors actually work off exhaust temps. Most techs only replace items when they completely fail and they store a code, 115k miles I'm sure it is pretty well done especially knowing how rich these lt's run at or under hard throttle, which is also known to cause premature failure of 02 sensors, I have to pull my exhaust and have it welded so while i got it off this is the time to replace it

take a new one heat it and read the voltage increases, but you have to know which wires are what on them to do that.

Tom

post #12 of 18 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 7:18 am

A direct replacement from Bosch is part number 0 258 003 475

It can also be found using number C5010-61265.

I did a quick search on the net and found one for $113.00 immediately and I am sure it can be had for much less at other places. This is a direct plug-in style and no soldering or anything is needed. I bought mine from Mercedes, so no need to go to BMW. Any place carrying Bosch should be able to supply it.

I have attached a document I wrote when I replaced my O2 sensor, which gives additional information.

Stefan
Attached Files
File Type: doc O2_sensor_removal.doc (158.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by stefan; Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:39 am. Reason: Added number
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan

I have attached a document I wrote when I replaced my O2 sensor, which gives additional information.

Stefan
THANK YOU for all the info!

Tom

Tom

post #14 of 18 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan

It can also be found using number C5010-61265.

I did a quick search on the net and found one for $113.00 immediately and I am sure it can be had for much less at other places. This is a direct plug-in style and no soldering or anything is needed. I bought mine from Mercedes, so no need to go to BMW. Any place carrying Bosch should be able to supply it.

Stefan
Stephan,
In your document you mentioned poor gas mileage. Has your sensor replacement had any effect on MPG?
TIA

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushj1
Stephan,
In your document you mentioned poor gas mileage. Has your sensor replacement had any effect on MPG?
TIA
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it went back in to the low 40's immediately. Of course the bike ran better overall as well and the smoke was reduced significantly.

I also added the new NGK Iridium plugs at the same time. Not that it created another 15 HP and gained 25 MPG, but joking apart, it seems as if the engine runs "smoother". Especially at idle or lower rpm's.

Stefan
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:53 am

Talking O2 sensor for 05

Does anyone know the Bosch part number for the 05 O2 sensor. Has a different part number than pre 05 at the dealer.
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:00 am

Exclamation Re: replacement O2 sensor

Bump

I was doing a search to gather information on replacing my 02 sensor and came across this thread. The person that gave the information on the part may not be an active member any more since his last post was in 2006. Just want to get some input from others. The part number that is list is for a plug in replacement, no splicing required.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell

Last edited by rab1967; Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:09 am.
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:23 am

Garage
Re: replacement O2 sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
Bump

I was doing a search to gather information on replacing my 02 sensor and came across this thread. The person that gave the information on the part may not be an active member any more since his last post was in 2006. Just want to get some input from others. The part number that is list is for a plug in replacement, no splicing required.
Did a quick Google search on the second part #C5010-61265 and found several hits... this one was the first and available for $92...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in