OEM windshield restoration - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

OEM windshield restoration

I bought my '99 LT with 63k on it and it had a much taller BMW touring shield already installed. It's great for the winter and the interstate but, living in the north part of South Carolina, I wanted a much shorter shield for all the twisties...to be able to look over it.

Thus my very cheap purchase ($36 + shipping) of an original '00 LT shield on eBay from a salvage. WAY better on height for me...however, though the eBay seller showed the major scratch on the side of the shield, they did not show the numerous light scratches on the main part...what you'd look THROUGH while in the up position. He also packed it with paper instead of cloth...so the scratching could've come from that (from what I understand on the polycarbonate shields)

So...two questions...
1. Any restoration options out there like CeeBailey's acrylic shield restoration service? (but for the PC shields)
2. I've just read today that you're not supposed to use Windex on these PC shields. I've never heard that anywhere else. What's the harm? What else should be used?

Thanks!

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Re: OEM windshield restoration

The shield has a protective coating on it. Using Windex can make it brittle and/or fog it. If the coating is all scratched up I don't think there is much you can do. I've heard about others removing the coating. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. Good luck whatever you do.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 6:56 pm

You should have a "local" plastics shop, like Tap Plastics... or something like that.
See if they can help you. Or you can try the old Army trick. Rub it down good with Brasso
and a shoe polish cloth (soft cloth).

Don't knock it, 'till you try it.

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Removed my scratched coating , inside and outside with a gas powered pressure washer while laying it on a old towel then polished by HAND with Meguires Mirror Glaze or 3M Plastic polish , looked like never before .

Bob G
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 9:31 pm

I contacted Cee Baileys and they recommended Novus to remove light scratches on their windshields caused by paper towels, use the #2 bottle.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm

I tried the TAP Plastics route and when I explained that the wind screen was poly carb he said there was nothing they could do for it because it was too soft.

I used Gorilla brand duct tape to remove the coating and tried to polish it with the products I had on hand. No glory.

It looks like the thing to try next will be the Mirror Glaze.

Worth a try.

I never look through the windscreen and have actually found that the best way to see in the rain (and we do get a little of the stuff around here!) is to leave the screen in a low enough position to allow a good blast of air on the face shield of my helmet. This position is plenty low enough to see over the top.

If I don't leave it in this lower position it seems like the drops on the windscreen, the ones that fllit over the top of the windscreen, and the spray collects on both the windscreen and my helmet and then I have twice as many drops to try to see through.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:07 pm

I'm serious about the Brasso thing. We used it with great success on the sky lights on our helicopters. (the back of the can says you can polish plastic with it).
What could be the worst case scenario ?
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 6:01 am

Is not the first time I say that, try Furniture Polish "Jonsons Dust & Clean". You can't remove the deep scratches this way but the light one's will go away and you get it clean, perfectly.
First when you use it it looks like your shield is damaged but polish it light without any pressure with a soft cloth until all the clouds are gone.

Manfred
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 9:21 am

You can't polish a silicone coating - so the answer is no, you've pretty much wasted $36.00 plus shipping. Toss it in the trash and move on...

Even uncoated pc is difficult to polish, but it can be done with a $100.00 kit, (which will do about 5 windshields) a LOT of time and a LOT of elbow grease. This is what the Air Force uses on uncoated pc surfaces:

inst_48PolycBooklet.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Trying to polish pc is like trying to sand rubber. I've used the above kit on uncoated pc headlight covers with excellent results. If they are "crazed", scratched so that you can feel it with your finger nail or pitted it's too late.

My best advice? Bite the bullet and buy a new pc V-Stream. It has a seriously hard coating that is VERY difficult to scratch, and the shape allows you to pretty much set it at cruising speed for max wind protection yet still peek over the top - or around town - drop it all the way down to the stops for max visibility.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 12th, 2011 at 9:30 am.
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 11:05 am

You can use a heat gun to make it looks like glass we do this all the time on diferent kind of plastics, check melting temp of your Mtl before and that should take kare of it.
You can also try a headlight rejuvenator sold at any auto store. I did use it on me car's headlights and it worked great. I would try option one first.
Good luck

2003 K1200LT
1998 R1200C
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Garage

Jr....(golif) meet Senior (RonKMiller)

he knoweth what he speakith.....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 4:49 pm

I have an '05 windshield I'll give you to get it out of my attic. You pay the shipping.
If you want photos contact me via PM and I'll forward same.

I replaced the OEM with a CB-4 and have no intention of replacing the CB with the OEM.

Be safe
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Will an '05 fit my '99 ?

'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Garage

Yes.... They are the same... 99-09... I just did the same (gave my two screens up for others)...

Take it and run... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1worshipguy
Will an '05 fit my '99 ?

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 7:37 am

Check this out: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=windshield

This maybe the best $89 I've ever spent on this bike...

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by golif
You can use a heat gun to make it looks like glass we do this all the time on diferent kind of plastics, check melting temp of your Mtl before and that should take kare of it.
You can also try a headlight rejuvenator sold at any auto store. I did use it on me car's headlights and it worked great. I would try option one first.
Good luck
I'll bet if you could find a large commercial oven, support the shield from underneath with a custom shaped liquid cooled metal mold so that it didn't lose the exact curved shape, then put the top broiler element on high for a minute or two - that it would work.

Kinda' like Burger King - flame broiled!

Then again.... you could end up with a huge molten glob of plastic!

(You can successfully "flame polish" the sharp, saw cut edges of acrylic fairly easily, polycarbonate not so well since it has a higher melting point and is a bit more difficult to work. I prefer a propane torch over a heat gun. If you could flame polish the entire surface of a windshield without causing significant optical distortion I would be in awe.)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Ron...I think you said those things just to find a way to use those emoticons! Funny stuff.

However...I'm going to trash the project and just buy the '05 shield from RidinRedFox. I'll sell the one I bought originally. It's still a usable shield...especially for a replacement to a more damaged one. I just want one a little cleaner (less scratched right in the central view).

Anyway...thanks everyone. Yet again the forum comes to the rescue!

BTW...if anyone wants this slightly scratched shield, PM me.

'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in