Air Dam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Air Dam

I dislike looking through the windshield but when I put it all the way down my face gets blasted. Most of the air must have been coming off the slanted dash nose because ever since I put this hi-density pipe insulation on the lower edge of the windshield I've been able to ride with the shield all the way down without my eyes drying up. I do put it up in the rain and noticed on interstates when passing big rigs I get more windshield flex. I suspect the foam restricts the air that used to help support the backside of the shield creating a low pressure area. The foam comes with 2 sticky edges. I only attached the top side to the shield and left the protective film on the other half so if water caused the top to fail I could reverse it. So far its seen about 8k miles, 800 in the rain and multiple washings and its still going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield foam.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	33511  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Re: Air Dam

That is a first!

thanks for posting it.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Do you need the sticky part?

Did the foam come off at speed and that is why you are using sticky tape?

I have some of that foam in the shop and it might be cool to try, but I would not want to stick it on with tape for ever.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Do you need the sticky part?

Did the foam come off at speed and that is why you are using sticky tape?

I have some of that foam in the shop and it might be cool to try, but I would not want to stick it on with tape for ever.
One way to find out. I don't think it will hurt anyone if it comes off.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Neat fix but won't it keep you from getting bugs on the INSIDE of the sshield? I thought this was a feature of the LT.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Neat fix but won't it keep you from getting bugs on the INSIDE of the sshield? I thought this was a feature of the LT.
Only if I back up too fast. Back side gets road film but no bugs to speak of.The rain that used to penetrate via the dash nose is reduced also.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:32 am

A donkey dick air dam!

A "donkey dick air dam" ghetto mod on an LT.... Well, I'll be - damned!

(but you only get one thumbs up since it has to look OEM too.) Maybe with the dark black stuff and a little trimming....

...but it's not the first use on an LT: I used it to pad the hard metal support of my Back Up backrest to keep Mom happy, covered with Alcantara suede.

I think you should give it a try in a smaller diameter on the TOP of the windshield instead. I mean, if Saeng?TA sells their "micro swirl" top trim for $12.90 a FOOT (and it does work) you may have something there:

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Micro-Swirl™| Edging

I love that pipe insulation. I've got it surrounding vertical 2X4 supports on a storage loft in my garage to keep the car doors happy. I've also used it to cushion the horizontal top rim of hot air balloon baskets ...and the list goes on.

It's almost as useful as duct tape!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	micro swirl.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	33529  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: A donkey dick air dam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
A "donkey dick air dam" ghetto mod on an LT.... Well, I'll be - damned!

(but you only get one thumbs up since it has to look OEM too.) Maybe with the dark black stuff and a little trimming....

...but it's not the first use on an LT: I used it to pad the hard metal support of my Back Up backrest to keep Mom happy, covered with Alcantara suede.

I think you should give it a try in a smaller diameter on the TOP of the windshield instead. I mean, if Saeng?TA sells their "micro swirl" top trim for $12.90 a FOOT (and it does work) you may have something there:

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Micro-Swirl™| Edging

I love that pipe insulation. I've got it surrounding vertical 2X4 supports on a storage loft in my garage to keep the car doors happy. I've also used it to cushion the horizontal top rim of hot air balloon baskets ...and the list goes on.

It's almost as useful as duct tape!

Send me your check book Ron I'll dress it up purty for ya.From where I sit I don't have to look at it. My HD neighbor thinks I should chrome it. Your right BMW wouldn't be associated with something like that. But so far its outlasted my trunk latch and CD left channel and God only knows how many final drives. And when I'm out on the road and park it at night I can rest assured it will be there come morn unless a frost is predicted and Clem doesn't want to run all the way down to Ace for something to cover his spigot.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Re: A donkey dick air dam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Send me your check book Ron I'll dress it up purty for ya.From where I sit I don't have to look at it. My HD neighbor thinks I should chrome it. Your right BMW wouldn't be associated with something like that. But so far its outlasted my trunk latch and CD left channel and God only knows how many final drives. And when I'm out on the road and park it at night I can rest assured it will be there come morn unless a frost is predicted and Clem doesn't want to run all the way down to Ace for something to cover his spigot.
LOL,,, how about some silver rattle can paint for your neighbor?

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in