Observations from the garage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 2:19 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Observations from the garage

It was that time again, time for an oil change. Decided to also do the transmission and final drive oil. I have done the final before, but not the transmission. With oil in hand and the manual open to the correct pages, I dove in. Over all it went pretty well and was pretty easy, even with the electric center stand trying to block things. And the bike seems to like it. Purrs like a kitten and shifts are nice and slick now.

Couple of things I noted though while doing this, thought I would pass them along to others.

1. Always read all the steps before you start do something you haven't done before. I was not aware the transmission drain plug was a 14 mm until I got to that point. Hmmmm. A check here on the forum told me what to do. Quick trip to the store and I was in business. Of course once home I did find I had a 14 mm socket set up, but it would not fit into the tiny space, so back to the forum solution. All is well

2. Funnels, buy funnels. Don't gerry-rig something. Time will be saved.

3. When you are done draining the oil and the pan is no longer under the bike, empty it. Don't just slide it off to the side where you think it is safe and it won't get kicked. Empty it.

4. Next time you are at the store and find yourself thinking, "hmm kitty litter, I should get some of that for my next oil change, just in case. Ah maybe next time." WRONG, get it then! Don't wait. You will never have enough paper towels, shop towels or anything else. Get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Last edited by Sit; Nov 7th, 2011 at 4:31 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Observations from the garage

One thing I'll add to your #4 is a trick Dick showed me. Get some puppy training pads & put down under the bike they will soak up most if not all of the "Loose oil" that misses the pan.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Nov 7th, 2011 at 2:58 pm. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Good idea. We have some of those I was just going to throw away since our pup doesn't need then any more. Will have to keep those around and a bag of kitty litter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 3:55 pm

I just spread out a day old newspaper before I begin and have a few old rags handy.

Before draining the transmission and the FD, loosen up the fill opening..... Heard a bad story once.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 5:21 pm

If you just empty the bike into a storm drain you wont have any mess to clean up!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #6 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 6:21 pm

I like the disposable paper funnels that came with the bike......................................
No Really !
I do.
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 8:29 pm

"Always read all the steps before you start do something you haven't done before."

What the hell? Where's the sport in THAT?
For example: today I removed the decking off my trailer and treated it with Thompson waterseal. AFTER I finished, I read the directions. One part said "Do not over apply. A light application is adequate". Well that's BS! Must have been written in China. Any good red blooded American knows that if a little's good, a lot is better.
I also read that you can't apply it if the temperature will drop below 40 in the next 48 hours. Good thing I didn't read that first (as it'll be in the 20's tonight) because IF I had read that, it wouldn't be finished now.
See where I going with this? "Always read all the steps before..." What a load of crap
post #8 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 8:32 pm

I'm still trying to find a way to drain the transmission and engine oil without spilling a drop or getting it on my hands. I know wear latex gloves.

Seriously I am working on it. I tried cutting the side out of a large size Dawn plastic dish soap container and wedging it in under the transmission drain. Think I am getting close to the answer there.

Taking the oil filter cover off the bottom of the engine is another story. Oil is going to come out. Probably have to use the latex gloves.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I put a piece of celotex under my pan. The stuff people use to build houses out of, the 4'x8'x1/2" black fiber stuff. Anyway I had a piece of of under my drain pan under my bike, & I had drained the oil out. I took the pan out,but left the celotex there...But,..I didn't get the drain plug back in. My wife says it's time to eat, so I think ,I'll put a quart of oil in before I go to the house. I get back to finish the bike, & find out on the second quart, I didn't get the plug in. You would think I had a mess, but the celotex sucked it all up. I didn't get a drop on the flour.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #10 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I gave up spending cycles trying to figure out the transmission drizzle issue and finally came to terms with my solution. Pull the plug and let it drain all over the center stand etc. When it stops drizzling put the plug back in and give it a 30 second shot of brake cleaner. Easy peasy!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:13 pm.
post #11 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A serious note: I don't wear gloves like I should so I keep a tube of hand cleaner in the garage and Goop my hands up before the oil change being sure to get lots under the finger-nails. Now that makes cleanup a breeze. Maybe now I can try that on the floor and my clothes.......

post #12 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 1:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Brian... You made me smile with your analysis. I'll empty that oil pan first thing in the morning.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #13 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 5:34 am

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 8:07 am Thread Starter
Sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Brian... You made me smile with your analysis. I'll empty that oil pan first thing in the morning.

No matter where it is, if it's full, your feet will find it.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 8:10 am Thread Starter
Sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8trto

Taking the oil filter cover off the bottom of the engine is another story. Oil is going to come out. Probably have to use the latex gloves.

Thanks
When I did the oil this time I just loosened the bolts each a few turns and let the front one loose until oil started coming out good. Just let it drain that way while I went and did something else. Once the flow slowed down, then I removed the bolts all the way and took the door off. Much less of a mess than trying to get the door off with a full load on board still.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8trto
I'm still trying to find a way to drain the transmission and engine oil without spilling a drop or getting it on my hands. I know wear latex gloves.

Thanks
As far as the tranny oil goes I have had great sucess with the BMW recommended drain accessory. As long as it is out of fairly thick material (1/8 or better) it works fine. I forgot mine for the Tech Sessions at CCR this year so I made one out of a heavy catalog cover page and it failed miserably. The material must be thick.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tranny pan.pdf (160.6 KB, 85 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 19 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:03 pm Thread Starter
Sit

I made pretty much the same drain thing based on the diagram from the repair manual. Made mine out of one of those thin folding cutting place mat type things. Just need to be stiff enough to stay in place. Worked good.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 7:36 am

Talking Re: Observations from the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
If you just empty the bike into a storm drain you wont have any mess to clean up!

Yep recycling...back to the earth from which it came.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #19 of 19 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 7:41 am

I've found that a roll of butcher paper is cheap roll out a sheet and park the bike over it.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in