rolled off the side stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:10 am Thread Starter

rolled off the side stand

I parked my bike in my buddies driveway and she rolled off the center stand - no damage other to my ego, what a heavy bike to pick back up. Those tip over wings really heep the plastic from getting damaged

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:15 am

Re: rolled off the side stand

Did you have first gear in? You should do that always, down in first and side stand out and let her rest and then take the key of.

Manfred
post #3 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:22 am

I did not have a power stand on my 02 and only used the regular center stand when I was working on the bike. I know, it's flat in Florida!

I used the side stand 99% of the time and as Manfred said, I always stopped the bike in 1st gear, then lowering the side stand. I always felt that the bike was more stable leaning on the side stand.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:23 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa
I parked my bike in my buddies driveway and she rolled off the center stand - no damage other to my ego, what a heavy bike to pick back up. Those tip over wings really heep the plastic from getting damaged

Scott
How the hell did it roll off the CENTER STAND ?? I've seen plenty of bikes roll off the SIDE stand buy not being in gear.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:59 am

("Knocking on Wood", as I say this)

I have NEVER had my LT go to sleep on me. Never been dropped. I DID get 3/4 of the way there, when I parked it on the SIDE stand, on a nearly flat surface just after I got the bike in '06. Since it was "flat", I didn't bother leaving in first gear. Mistake. She started rolling forward, and I caught it just as it was starting to go over.

Now, no matter how "flat" the surface looks, I leave the beast in first gear for side stand parking.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 11:26 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Mine came close to rolling off the CENTER stand in a Wendy's parking lot. There was a dip on the pavement right where the stand deployed to and both tires were still on the ground. I guess it could also happen if you were on a significant slope pointed down.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa

Scott
Your subject line sez 'side stand', butt your text sez 'center stand'. Which is it?
post #8 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 11:55 am

When I bought my LT and was picking it up, the sales guy stressed the importance of putting it in gear when using the side stand. He described how many bikes have "rolled" and fallen. So that's what I do.

I don't really like the side stand, though. I've never had a bike that learned over so far on the side stand. Makes me nervous. I use the power center stand mostly. The bike has to be in neutral to use it, and I haven't been putting it in gear once it's up. Doesn't seem like it could go anywhere, but from now on I'll do so.

When I use the power center stand, and other cyclists are nearby, they never fail to razz me about it. I just laugh.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #9 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I had this happen at a gas station about 60 days ago. I pulled in, put down the side stand and turned around to run my credit card through the pump reader. As I turned back around to my bike. it rolled slightly forward and fell. I caught it, but it pinned me between the bike and the gas pump. It shattered my Cee Baily's windshield (which I hated anyway) and it cracked two of my ribs, and cut my hand. One of the mirrors popped off, but it was tethered, so it didn't break. Then of course, I had to lift the beast up from a very awkward position. All was not lost, though. I had a spare "sport" height windshield that I had in storage. I pulled what was left of the Cee Baileys off, and mounted the sport shield, popped the mirror back on, and caught up with the group I was supposed to be riding with about two hours later. I didn't realize I had cracked my ribs until I tried to get out of bed the next morning. I always thought I was careful about this, but now, I am EXTRA careful. I should go back to the gas station and ask for the surveillance video!
post #10 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 2:29 pm

She is a BEAST at times!!

When I first got my LT I would park her in my garage on the side stand in first.

I'd sit on her, put her in neutral, stand her up, start her, and pick up the side stand.

One day I forgot to up the side stand. As I was backing out of my garage the back tire dropped down onto the earth out side. As she dropped down she hit the side stand and over we went.

One time, i just plain forgot to put the side stand down after I shut her off. Yup! Over we went into my HD.

Another time.....well....over we went.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I know it is VERY heavy on the side stand, especially when fully loaded. Been in this house for 31 years, 1/2 mile back a dirt road with a hard packed gravel driveway. Have had multiple bikes the whole time here including my current 800lb Honda for 5 years, never had a bike fall over from its weight on the side stand. In Sept I come back from a trip out west, come up the driveway, put the side stand down and go in the house to take off my helmet and cold gear. Come back out and it is on its side with the left $350 mirror in several pieces from it smashing into the hard pack. Wasn't a happy camper.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #12 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 3:34 pm

My LT rolled off the side stand and tumbled into my son's brand new Subaru. $1000 damage to the Subaru, nothing to the LT. A car fender is nice and soft to land on....

Now I always go 1st gear & roll it forward to take up the lash before resting her on the sidestand.
post #13 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 3:54 pm

My 07 rolled off the sidestand about two days after I picked it up back in September. I had parked it on what I thought was level enough ground (turned out it wasn't) and failed to put it in gear. I spent about two hundred dollars replacing the tip over protection.

It rolled off the centerstand yesterday. Not precisely sure why; it was on level ground, the rear wheel was off the ground, and no one was touching the bike. I was standing behind the bike putting my wallet and cell phone in the Cee Bailey top case rack bag when the bike kinda rolled forward and fell over...its a mystery.

In future I'll use the side stand more and make sure to put it in gear. When I use the centerstand I'll likely chock the front wheel.
post #14 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 4:03 pm

I was on a ferry boat in Glaveston with high winds on the center stand....she wiggled a swayed a lil but stayed where I put her. The harder the wind blew the closer I got to catch it if need be.

Keith Barrow
Forney, TX
2006 K 1200 LT (My Fav)
2004 HD FLSTC Scremin Eagle Stage 4
2008 Honda TR 230
2002 I/O go-fast boat
2008 Yamaha Waverunner
post #15 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I use the side stand to shut the engine off that way I know it's still in gear.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
That's a habit EVERY LT owner should have.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I thought that was the only way to shut this baby off.
post #18 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
.... I use the power center stand mostly. The bike has to be in neutral to use it, and I haven't been putting it in gear once it's up. Doesn't seem like it could go anywhere, but from now on I'll do so.
Don't bother. When the bike is on the centerstand, the back tire is not touching the ground. Having the bike in gear won't stop it from rolling forward.

If you want extra insurance against rolling off the centerstand, tie down the front brake lever or strap the stand to the front wheel (good to do when doing maintenance).

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #19 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Correction, the side stand
post #20 of 26 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 9:55 am

Sorry about the bike hitting the ground man. THAT FIRST GEAR SHOT OFF IS A MUST ON THIS BIKES AS MENTIONED BEFORE. I don`t know what would I do if mine ever falls, I only weight 150 lbs. Sure it will be a funny thing to watch me trying to pick the fat lady up. .

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #21 of 26 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 5:24 am

But take a look at that Guy's this is the CC

http://youtu.be/090GMYjfzOg

Manfred
post #22 of 26 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 6:08 am

One of the things I took away from my MSF course was .......ALWAYS keep your bike in gear unless you're working on it. It's the only parking brake you have........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #23 of 26 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:01 am

How many of you who had the bike roll had the wheel turned hard left? In that position, it should be near impossible to roll off the side stand. In theory. So I'm curious. I rarely leave it in gear, but always have the steering hard over to lock it.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #24 of 26 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 4:20 pm

I had posted my conerns earlier this year with regard to using the side stand to fill up at the pumps.

Well with come encourgement, ribbing and obniouxs comments from the peanut gallery here on the forums I overcame my fear.

I have been using the side stand for the last 125+ fullups and have had no problems.

Just make sure that the bike is in 1st gear and I also took a tip and make sure that she is all the way forward in gear and the handlebars are tipped to the left in the fill-er-up position.

The only time she hits the center stand is in the garage and at night..

Good luck...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #25 of 26 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 5:29 pm

The only time mine has been on its side is when my side stand did not make it to full lock and kicked back when I put weight on it. I'm in the habit now of kicking the side stand forward to make sure it's on it's stop prior to leaning the bike on it. Now the only problem is the occasional smoke on start-up. Damn I hate that.
post #26 of 26 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 6:55 pm

When my friends ask I tell them that all dragons breath fire!

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in