Buzz and Rattle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 5th, 2011, 6:42 am Thread Starter

Question Buzz and Rattle

My 05 has a lot of buzz when idling. I also have a rattle underneath that happens when I hit a bump. It's not the rear rotor, although it is doing the squeal at stops. I thought running some Seafoam might help and it does seem better but it still buzzes like everything is mounted solid. Any ideas?

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 5th, 2011, 7:23 am

Re: Buzz and Rattle

Good Morning Rattler50

My old 99 had a buzz rattle that came from where lower tupper ware pieces join at the right side forward near the front tire . I sandwiched a small piece of soft rubber between them , in the screw joints .
There are a lot of potental sources with a rubber mounted motor hanging in the middle of all that plastic . With hoses , wires and cables going from solid frame to rubber mounted motor.
I guess there is a price to be paid for having a bike with a functioning muffler.

Good Luck
Bob G
2011RT
99LT gone but missed , sometimes
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 1:46 am

The buzz is probably the missing cushions at the corners where the lowers meet the uppers. I too had a rattle when I hit a bump. Turned out to be the ballast for the HID lamp. It had slipped its mount. Tied it down better and no more rattle.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
My 05 has a lot of buzz when idling. I also have a rattle underneath that happens when I hit a bump. It's not the rear rotor, although it is doing the squeal at stops. I thought running some Seafoam might help and it does seem better but it still buzzes like everything is mounted solid. Any ideas?
Howdy, James. Congrats on the new to you scoot. Good looker too!

Anecdotal info on buzz and rattle - ole Toad has been a participant in several local area tech sessions, and as usual, time on the centerstand was key. That meant that when it came time to button things up, fairing wise, lotsa folks (incl moi) just grabbed a fastener and driver and didn't pay keen attention as to the length of the fastener nor whether it was spec'd for that particular location. Button it up and move it outta the way for the next wrench job.

I noticed that after most tech sessions, ole Toad would definitely rattle and groan and make all kinds of weird noises when at idle. At some point, I connected that fact with the thought that after a wrenching session at Lone Star in Austin, ole Toad came home taut and tight and minus all those rattling, groaning sounds. I mentioned this anomaly to the head tech at Lone Star one time and here is what he said: if you go by the book and install the specified fastener in the specified location and use the specified torque setting for that fastener, there will definitely be a difference in rattle/groan sounds throughout the bike. I don't claim to do that after a DIY wrenching session, butt I have found it to be true for the most part. When I go by the book, or by the recommendations found here on the HoW pages, etc., ole Toad does sound more fit and fitted. Don't know the engineering reason for this, butt that just might answer a part of the question about *why the various sizes of fasteners at various points around the fairing*. Anyway, works for ole Toad when I feel in a 'detailing mood'!! Good luck with your 'no noise heard at idle' project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in