Final drive oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Final drive oil

Any sugestions to what kind of final drive oil to use other than Castrol EPX 90 that is proven to add better protection to final drive? Or should we stick to the Castrol recomended. Just turned 11000 miles and want to change the fluids for safety. What about the transmission?

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Re: Final drive oil

Just stick with the BMW specs for the oil.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Redline heavy duty shock proof. Goes in red comes out red every time. Have been using it for over 100k on my 02.(218 now) No issues.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Talking Re: Final drive oil

Yeahhh !! Finally a question about final drive lube.

You can use synthetic GL if you like spending money or you can use plain old GL which will work just fine. The final drive doesn't care.
I think there is data to indicate that crankcase wear will be less over the long haul with synthetic, but that's the crankcase. The tranny might shift better with synth, but that's the tranny. A final drive might last longer with synth over the long haul, but if it's going to fail prematurely, its going to fail and your choice of lube isn't going to make any difference.

If you are concerned about FD failure, the best thing to do as far as lube is concerned is to change it every 6K miles using the same kind of lube (so you have consistency of color) and look for color change in the lube and increasing amounts of metal on the drain magnet. Using regular "dino" GL is cheaper. I regularly use Walmart Tech brand GL.

I've rebuilt quite a few failed final drives that had red colored lube in 'em, dunno who made that red lube, but some of 'em have a jelly-like material in the recesses of the drive that doesn't clean out easily in my parts washer. I don't think that red lube is any better, drives seem to fail just as well with that color.

Anyone who tells you that Brand-X is better has no data to base the claim on. (and, no, "I went 1 million [or however many] miles without a problem" doesn't consititute data. Such reports are "case reports" and have no meaningful statistical value. Kind of like: "I wear a magnetic bracelet and it cured my multiple sclerosis and my diabetes." Or "I killed and elephant with a rock, and here's the rock to prove it."
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for synthetic Castrol 90Way for the Final Drive and Synnthetic whatever it calls for on the owner`s manual for the tranny.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Yeahhh !! Finally a question about final drive lube.

You can use synthetic GL if you like spending money or you can use plain old GL which will work just fine. The final drive doesn't care.
I think there is data to indicate that crankcase wear will be less over the long haul with synthetic, but that's the crankcase. The tranny might shift better with synth, but that's the tranny. A final drive might last longer with synth over the long haul, but if it's going to fail prematurely, its going to fail and your choice of lube isn't going to make any difference.

If you are concerned about FD failure, the best thing to do as far as lube is concerned is to change it every 6K miles using the same kind of lube (so you have consistency of color) and look for color change in the lube and increasing amounts of metal on the drain magnet. Using regular "dino" GL is cheaper. I regularly use Walmart Tech brand GL.

I've rebuilt quite a few failed final drives that had red colored lube in 'em, dunno who made that red lube, but some of 'em have a jelly-like material in the recesses of the drive that doesn't clean out easily in my parts washer. I don't think that red lube is any better, drives seem to fail just as well with that color.

Anyone who tells you that Brand-X is better has no data to base the claim on. (and, no, "I went 1 million [or however many] miles without a problem" doesn't consititute data. Such reports are "case reports" and have no meaningful statistical value. Kind of like: "I wear a magnetic bracelet and it cured my multiple sclerosis and my diabetes." Or "I killed and elephant with a rock, and here's the rock to prove it."

No claims here. just answered the question that he asked.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 6:38 pm

I've been using Valvoline Duroblend 80-90 for the last 40k in my 03 LT and 00 RT. So far all I ever see on the drain plug is what amounts to dust and not much at that. I agree with Charlie. If its rated for what its applied to its going to be OK. And because its easy to change and only 8oz I change often. If there is 2000 miles on the last change and I'm getting ready to go out on a 4k hike I'll change it out. Not much money not much time.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2011, 6:32 am

I switched to Royal Purple in my final drive and I hit a deer............ .........Coincidence?

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I switched to Royal Purple in my final drive and I hit a deer............ .........Coincidence?
I think not!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in