Riding gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Riding gear

Now that we have our K1200LT, my wife and I are starting to make plans for a long ride either spring of 2012 to the smokey mountain area in Georgia (from Wisconsin) or in the fall to the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado.

We're looking for recommendations for jackets/pants that are waterproof, versatile, not too bulky, and that could accommodate a heated jacket underneath (could use suggestions on heated clothing those too). Reasonably priced is great, but overall value will be our priority. I'm 6'2" and generally wear an XLtall or XXL. My wife is 5'3 and wears an XL.

Also, if any of you have suggested touristy ideas along either of these routes I'd appreciate any info. We're looking at taking about 10 to 14 days.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:22 pm

Re: Riding gear

Besides the considerations you mentioned, another important consideration is the protective capabilities of the gear. IMHO Aerostich and BMW are the top two suits for crash protection, protection from the elements and overall function. They are worth the high dollar these suits command, but will also outlast most suits on the market. If the budget is not there for these suits, or if you will not be riding much, Revit, First Gear & Olympia Motorsports represent good value in riding suits. I have a Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece and it is the best suit I have owned and this being my second. Aerostich also makes a 2- piece Roadcrafter and a Darien which is also a fine suit and has many fans. For the fashion conscious, Aerostich is dated in it's design. BMW suits are not only excellent in function etc., but are really sharp looking. So for example fashion style is not my main concern and I love my Aerostich despite it's dated looks, but my wife say's it is ugly and selected a BMW Comfort Shell for herself.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #3 of 32 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:33 pm

Gerbings for heated gear. First gear for summer. Aerostitch for winter.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Gerbings for heated gear. First gear for summer. Aerostitch for winter.
Scala g4 for intercom and music

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:35 pm

Motoport. I've ridden with it for the past 3 years. Mesh Kevlar and all the armor you want.

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 32 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:40 pm

+1 on Aerostitch. I have a two-piece, Darien-Light suit. I travelled to Duluth to insure proper fit. I also purchased their fleece wind stopper jacket for under the jacket.

I bought the suit for my first cross-country ride last year to the Redmond rally. Living in Florida everything is hot when you stop moving. Underway the suit ventilates well under the arms and across the back.

This summer at the Bloomsburg rally, no body no matter what suit, was hot when not moving.

The suit is really nice when riding into scattered showers, you don't have to stop to put on raingear, just zip up a little higher and ride on.

My wife and I have Gerbing heated gloves and Jackets, I spent a little extra and bought the variable temp controller rather than the on-off type. Both work fine once you firgure out the wire jungle.

Say cool, or hot as the case may be.
post #7 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 12:08 am

I am an Olympia gear Guy. They are mesh with liners that are waterproof and warm for winter riding. If you get caught in a frog strangler you will need a little more help in the waterproofing dept. I am good temp wise into the mid 30's. Any lower I add a fleece underneath.

Living in the Pacific Northwet we get our share of rain. I modified a pair of handlebar muffs made for quads. They are totally waterproof and windproof so I am very comfortable in the winter rain or shine. My hands do not EVER get even slightly cold. The mod was to the left muff to allow me to reach the tune controls.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 6:01 am

BMW Streetguard 3. Expensive but worth it. All weather, all temperature. I ride in the DC areaal year round except when the roads are icy. I wear Gerbings heated jacket, gloves and soles.

With this combination I've ridden at 10 deg F and at 105 deg F.
post #9 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 7:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Scala g4 for intercom and music

+1 for the Scala.

I would say that do not be fooled as you can not listen to music and intercom at the same time.

You can connecto to your phone or your GPS or your phone thru the GPS but not at the same time.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #10 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician
Motoport. I've ridden with it for the past 3 years. Mesh Kevlar and all the armor you want.

+100 on the Motoport. Wayne and the crew in San Diego are great.

I have been there twice from FL and they are always helpful and nice.

I would also say that the motoport gear is bulky. But anything with armor is going to be. that is a nature of the beast.

foorball players wear bulky gear because it works.

Safety or style is a choice that should not be made lightly.

And besides, the motoport gear is built like a armoured suit. It should last for ever.

I have 30K miles on my gear over the last 16 months and not a single problem.

I even went back and had them add the suspenders and a zipper from the jacket to pants and they id it in 45 min while I waited.

\end motoport commerical

Oh did I mention that their stuff is bulky, but does fold down and fit in the side cases if you smush them in!

post #11 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 8:00 am

You can get more info in the Rider's Gear forum:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

I rode from MA to AZ one summer in an Aerostich 2 piece--never worried about getting whet when it rained.

I've spent the summer here in Maine relying upon another Aerostich 2 piece suite--never worried about getting when in the rain.

I just picked up a heated jacket liner and temp controller for my ride back to AZ.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 8:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

BMW Comfort Shell with Gerbings electric liner and gloves. Totally waterproof and you don't have to zip in a liner. My SO and I have ridden in all day downpours and did not get even a little damp. Unfortunately, ridiculously expensive but I've had mine for about 5 years of riding (8-10,000 miles/year) and it's just now starting to break in. Very well made.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 9:17 am

Aerostitch and Gerbing, I would not recommend a one piece suit as the LT has too much wind protection and the suit would be uncomfortable in warm weather.

I wear langlitz leather jacket and darian pants most of the time but have a couple firat gear jackets. I need tall sizes

pretty good website for deals - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
post #14 of 32 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've had a Darien jacket and pants for 7 years and over 100,000 miles. I also have several other jackets and pants that I wear from time to time, but I always come back to the Darien for any serious riding. Can't beat the ventilation options and overall flexibility, and great service and repairs. A trip to Aerostich RiderWearHouse in Duluth can get a custom measurements for you and your wife. One downside is Aerostich doesn't make a "women's" cut, although you can customise around that to a degree.

Road Gear ( http://roadgear.com//technical-wear-c-22.html ) has been a good supporter of CCR over the years and has a good selection of apparel. For rock bottom prices check out Cycle Gear ( http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categor...parel/textiles ) Their Bilt brand Typhoon Waterproof Motorcycle jackets and pants are on sale for $99 and $79. Both have men's and women's cuts.

Motor On ,/'

post #15 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 8:40 am

+1 on the Streetguard 3.
post #16 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 8:54 am

I'd extoll the virtues of my Joe Rocket gear, but I think I'd get laughed out of the thread.
post #17 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 9:31 am

You get what you pay for, and don't forget how expensive skin grafts are:

It's all about tear strength, and you can clearly see that anything below competition grade leather (which no one uses in consumer grade garments) doesn't cut the mustard.

Undoubtedly I will now get comments about how leather must be good enough for road racers, etc. Goat skin and kangaroo is good enough - and insanely expensive - and road racers wear whatever their sponsors tell them to wear - and it is all armored, kevlar stitched, reinforced and lined to boot.

I personally wear armored air mesh kevlar all year, and put 1000 denier cordura overpants on when it gets cold to block the wind and rain - and yes - I ride in 25F weather all winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tear and abrasion standards.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	33491  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:43 am.
post #18 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You get what you pay for, and don't forget how expensive skin grafts are:

It's all about tear strength, and you can clearly see that anything below competition grade leather (which no one uses in consumer grade garments) doesn't cut the mustard.
Ron,

Is the Kevlar the stuff from Motoport?

post #19 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa
Aerostitch and Gerbing, I would not recommend a one piece suit as the LT has too much wind protection and the suit would be uncomfortable in warm weather.

I wear langlitz leather jacket and darian pants most of the time but have a couple firat gear jackets. I need tall sizes

pretty good website for deals - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
I do not find that to be the case, I have not felt any warmer with my 1-piece Stich" on the LT vs other bikes I have owned.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #20 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Ron,

Is the Kevlar the stuff from Motoport?
Could well be, mine is BMW brand and looks sorta' like thick window screen material - could be the Schoeller stuff. It's all good... not cheap, I've still got a nose bleed from buying it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Ron, is the tear figure quoted for the Kevlar stretch correct ?
post #22 of 32 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 8:56 am

Another good thing about Aerostitch is that they can customize the fit if you need it

Leather will abrade (sp?) sliding on pavement and textiles will melt.

Thats why roadracers wear leather and why aerostitch recommends wearing long sleeve/pants under their suits

Last edited by srpuywa; Nov 11th, 2011 at 9:06 am.
post #23 of 32 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 9:26 am

Trip Route

If you are riding from WI to Colorado SW, you may end up riding through my town, Colorado Springs. I have some basic tools if you need to do anything. (Offer is open to all riders who need assistance. I am in the BMW MOA anonymous book as well.) As far as the ride goes, you most definitely want to ride West through Canon City on highway 50 along the river, up and over Monarch pass through Gunnison and over to Montrose. Head South on 550. The route on 550 is called the Million Dollar Highway, and is VERY scenic. There are lots of Youtube videos of people taken on the ride. I have ridden it only once, on my old K100RT, but will most definitely do it next year again on my K1200LT. Temperatures will swing wildly in the fall as you gain and lose altitude through the mountains.
Grant
post #24 of 32 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Grant! I'll keep in touch when we select a date and route
post #25 of 32 Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

We finally decided on the Firstgear Ranier for me and Monarch for my wife. Now the snow needs to clear so we can ride!

Just Ride
post #26 of 32 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 8:35 am

I have and have enjoyed my Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants; very versatile, waterproof, but hot during the South Louisiana summers.

I recently order my wife a Motoport Ultra II Mesh Kevlar Jacket and Overpants and am very, very impressed. I plan to order the same later in the spring.

I highly recommend either Aerostich or Motoport but given the hot deep south summers the edge goes to Motoport...
post #27 of 32 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:51 am

Question Re: Riding gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTerry
We finally decided on the Firstgear Ranier for me and Monarch for my wife. Now the snow needs to clear so we can ride!
Joe, how is your jackets working for you thus far, particularly during the summertime?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #28 of 32 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Joe , You should check out the Tourance 2 by BMW, they have a removal liner and they are waterproof with full armor. I ride with mine even in the summer months and are excellent quality. They are on sale now and can get a 20 to 25% off list price. Check with Max BMW. pants $199.00 jacket $350.00 sale price.
Also since you are tall you may want to check out the foot lowering floorboards by Darius Kowalski. A must for me I am 6'4" makes a hugh difference in shifting,braking and comfort for the riding.
Charlie B (shaioli)

2006 K1200LT
Fremont,Ca.
post #29 of 32 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
...It's all about tear strength, and you can clearly see that anything below competition grade leather (which no one uses in consumer grade garments) doesn't cut the mustard...I personally wear armored air mesh kevlar all year, and put 1000 denier cordura overpants on when it gets cold to block the wind and rain - and yes - I ride in 25F weather all winter.
Ron, do you have stats for good ole pirate costume grade leather? Surely, it's at least as good as some of those lower weight nylons. never mind. I see this was borrowed from the motoport website.

I'm not sure I like the idea of textiles melting as one posted.

I imagine this isn't an exhaustive list of yours because I've found 400 nylon, 400 "stop rip" nylon, 600 nylon (standard?), etc. I imagine they all fit in there amongst the ones you listed.

Also, for those who don't know, Cordura is one of Dupont's brand names for nylon, though it is a superior/stronger grade of nylon. According to wiki, it was originally associated w/ Rayon back in 1929.

I was surprised to learn that most "middle" priced jackets, such as Firstgear's Kilamanjaro and other similar products, which are made of more or less 300/400/600 Denier standard nylon, though they claim to treat it w/ all sorts of stuff for breathability and waterproofness. I wonder if it's their way of keeping people from comparing apples to oranges.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:50 pm.
post #30 of 32 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 4:39 pm

Joe has already bought what he needs, but to add my two cents for anyone else who is tracking this thread, I've had great results with the Tourmaster Sentinel pants to go over the protective gear. I rode through driving rain for several hours and soaking rain for an entire day and not a drop of water got through, yet it still breathed. I like it so much I just bought the jacket. But this goes over protective gear, it's not to replace protective gear (and is sized as such). Hope this helps for the wet weather part.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Last edited by rowie; Jun 23rd, 2012 at 8:33 pm.
post #31 of 32 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 8:16 pm

++ on the Motoport gear it's worth taking a look at, and is comparable in price to bmw gear...
post #32 of 32 Old Jun 25th, 2012, 1:32 pm

[QUOTE=dabadou2]BMW Streetguard 3. Expensive but worth it. All weather, all temperature. I ride in the DC areaal year round except when the roads are icy. I wear Gerbings heated jacket, gloves and soles.

With this combination I've ridden at 10 deg F and at 105 deg F.[/QUOTE

+1 Over the years I have acquired many kits for riding in all sorts of weather. My last purchase was the BMW Street Guard3. The last word in all weather protection and comfort, period. Pricey, but worth it considering all the stuff was buy for our passion. I use FirstGear heated underjacket and gloves.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in